Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: What US routes are underway

Great stuff, Dave. Downtown looks nicely crafted.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

That's downtown Chicago, beautiful work....
    Kevin Kelleher

The L&N Corbin-Knoxville line is in the library as of a month or so ago and I am now
    working on the Louisville-Nashville Line. In parallel, I am also working on the C&O
    (or CSX) Big Sandy south, and the L&N Eastern Ky Div. I've digitized and extracted
    terrain for several more routes than I will likely get done.

J. H. Sullivan

Cool

After reading a good article in the July 2021 issue of TRAINS I decided to add the Cumberland Valley Sub.
    (formerly division) circa 1970-80. I have generated the terrain, ran DEMEX on it and created the DM
    terrain. I previously had laid all track for a combination of the Clinch & Appalachia areas of NS, so I
    copied several world files from that route into this new one. And since the west end is Corbin, I have copied
    several world files from the KD route, released late last year. So here are the routes I have done "something"
    on.
    1. Louisville & Nashville, Main STem, Louisville to Nashville, digitized & track is done.
    2. L&N CC line, DeCoursey Yard south to Corbin, digitized
    3. L&N EK Div. (now sub.), digitized, track done with 3 old lines
    4. L&N Cumberland Valley Sub. digitized (real spaghetti bowl)
    5. L&N Henderson Sub. digitized, Evansville to Nashville
    6. L&N KD div., Corbin to Knoxville, released, Rev. 2 digitized
    7. SR/NS Virginian, to be ORTS only, error at two locations crashes MSTS but it will have ORTS only signals anyway.
    8. SR/NS CNO&TP 1st district, Cincinnati to Danville, digitized, ORTS only signals
    9. SR/NS CNO&TP 2nd district, Danville to Oakdale & branches, digitized, ORTS only signals
    10. SR/NS CNO&TP 3rd district, under construction, track done, details started, ORTS only signals
    11, Remake BR Sub. of CSX
    12. Remake KP Sub. of CSX
    13. C&O Clifton Force to Huntington & Branches. Someone asked about this and I had the necessary
    materials so it is being digitized and will be released as ONLY DIGITIZED in a while. Some else is
    welcome to use it and it could be released as 3 separate routes or phases if desired.

I have had a few questions from someone that is remaking the BR sub. of CSX so if he releases first
    I'll drop that one.

J. H. Sullivan, P.E.
    retired from SR & CSX
    docent: C&TS RR

Just read that same article and it prompted me to try making an activity on the KD sub that started on the CV sub. I believe the line branching off at Corbin on the KD sub is meant to be the CV sub? The recent downloads of CSX GP40 and SD40-2's would fit right in here. I look forward to seeing this route when it is available.

Thanks
    Don

Jerry is my big brother. I want to be like him!

SO... I too, have more project routes than I can shake a stick at. Here's only a few:

* "Colorado & San Juan" - 3' ga. Proto-freelanced. Though the concept is a narrow gauge line that runs from a connection "north" of my modeled portion to a connection somewhere "south", my modeled portion primarily uses the grade and towns of the Silverton RR. My modeled portion runs from the town of Ouray, CO up to near Ironton (the freelanced portion) where I use the Silverton RR to get to Silverton (the protolanced portion). That's it for now, though "someday" I would like to "assume" the Silverton Branch to Durango and appropriate it for my C&SJ. Track is 100% complete and "Phase 1" scenery is 100%. Circa early 1880s.

* "Alleghany Lines" - Std ga. Proto-lanced. This one is one of those that grew on me. I ended up using data that I could find to build several of the lines in the New River region and beyond. Those include way too many to list. Only SOME of the locations with rails: Deepwater, Gauley Bridge well past Thurmond, Quinnimont, Jenny's Gap, Mullens, Raleigh, Beckly, Winding Gulf fields, on and on. Track is about 90% complete. Still need to tie together the main out of Quinnimont with the main coming out of Thurmond. (Only like about a couple miles on that.) I took liberty with the actual histories of the region and thus I've set its era in the late 1880s/early 1890s. I'm also not modeling the prototype lines that actually built/owned the rails. Instead, I've created new companies and divided out the track as I saw fit. The two primary rail lines are the "Alleghany Central" and the "Virginia Midland". The AC runs from Thurmond to Mullens. The VM runs from Mullens up through Winding Gulf/etc. (As it was on the prototypes for these lines, the AC and VM both serve the Winding Gulf field.) Very little scenery is in place.

* "New England Lines" - Std ga. Prototype based. Not as nearly as protolanced as some of the above lines, but not 100% accurate, either. Seeing as it is set in the late 1860s... there's not a whole lot of track charts out there for that era! However, I've tapped into track charts from later dates and extrapolated from there. So far there are two primary lines represented: The Rutland & Burlington (Rutland RR) from Rutland, VT to Bellows Falls, VT, the Cheshire RR from Bellows Falls, VT/North Walpole, NH down to South Ashburnham, MA where (as per prototype) the Cheshire RR uses the tracks of the Vermont & Massachusetts RR to reach Fitchburg. Still to come is the entire Vermont Valley (Bellows Falls to Brattleboro) the Ashuelot RR (Near Brattleboro to Keene NH), portions of the Vermont & Massachusetts, and other lesser lines. Track is only about 50% completed and there is essentially no scenery in place. However, it's going to be a dandy.

* "Hot Springs RR" - Std ga. Prototype based. Circa early 1890s. All lines represented actually existed and I used their names, too. However there are some anachronisms in regards to build dates/etc. Still, though, the route is based on actual history. Main line of the Hot Springs RR is about 23 miles. As is the case with essentially all my routes, there's enough of the connecting lines rails modeled to allow for interchange and AI traffic. Track is 100%, but essentially no scenery is in place.

Then there's The Biggie (for me):

* The Frisco Line Mini-Mega Route" - Std ga. Circa late 1880s early 1890s. This one sort of sucked me in and I've WAY overbuilt it. (Got too big.) However, it's based on the lines in my region that I've long admired and have been interested in. The primary emphasis is the Frisco Line from Monett, MO to Talihina, Indian Territory (now Oklahoma). That includes 202 miles of mainline in two divisions: Monett, MO to Chester, AR - Chester AR to Talihina I.T. I do not intend to model the third division which ran from Talihina, I.T. to Paris, TX. If that wasn't enough, I've laid track for the entire 43 mile Frisco's St. Paul Branch, the entire 18 miles of the Frisco's Mansfield Branch into the "coal belt" south/southeast of Ft. Smith, some 35 miles of the connecting St.Louis, Iron Mountain & Southern from Van Buren, AR over into Indian Territory, through Ft. Smith, AR and down to the coal fields southeast of Ft. Smith to Greenwood, AR. I have also included the Midland Valley's network of rails in the coal belt south/southeast of Ft. Smith, their rails also running to Greenwood, AR, and also over to Hartford, AR. BUT... that's not ALL! I've also built the entire 18 miles of the Eureka Springs Rwy that connected with the Frisco at Seligman, MO and ran to Eureka Springs, AR, enough rails of the Ozark & Cherokee Central from Fayetteville, AR west for operational purposes, the 5 mile Poteau & Cavanal Mtn (coal line), enough connection track for the Kansas City, Pittsburg & Gulf (became the KCS) and Choctaw Coal & Rwy (became the Rock Island) for AI and interchange, and other assorted interchanges. For me, it's huge. The rails are pretty much 100%, though I do make track revisions when better data surfaces and it's practical to do so. I also have almost 100 miles of my "Phase 1" scenery in place, and several activities for different portions of it. In fact, I have a "Beta Group" that I share the route with over at Elvas Tower and they download updates and run the activities as I upload.

The above are the routes that I actually find myself working on when the mood/energy inclines, though the Frisco Line and the New England Lines seem to get the most attention.

Now, keep in mind I have several MORE (easily over 2 dozen) "project" routes in addition to the above, but the other routes have pretty much been mothballed in favor of the above.

Oh wait... except for...

* "Cascades & Pacific" - Std ga. Circa 1880s. This is a proto-lanced route that appropriated the NP's Stampede Pass line. Lacking the needed equipment, I decided to overlay my concocted Cascades & Pacific onto the NP's Stampede Pass line. I also tried to reflect the prototype locations. Currently rails are in place from Easton, WA, west over Stampede Pass to Lester, WA. Terrain and markers are already in place all the way to Tacoma. "One of these days" the rails just might reach it? I've started installing bridges and such on the line. The Switchbacks over Stampede pass all have bridges and cribbing in place and ready for foresting and structures. I was on my way down toward Lester when my fever cooled. However, it's a neat route, and I suspect I will return to it "one of these days".

Okay... enough rambling.

Off to other things!

Andre, you got to put more emphasis on the Allegheny lines, lol. Seriously, the New River Gorge was my home away from home when I was growing up. My Grandparents lived in Fayetteville, my Grandfather having previously worked for the Virginian at Page and Deepwater until 1959 when he retired. Other parts of my mother's side of the family lived in Oak Hill. My father's sister lived in Charleston, My Dad was born and raised in Renick, WV near White Sulphur Springs.

As my grandfather lived on Fayette Station Rd, which went directly to the bottom of the gorge, I got to spend a lot of time near the RR tracks in the gorge, and also in Thurmond. The list goes on and on, lots of family history, much of it associated with the Virginian and the C&O in that area.
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South

Don,

That is a sad article. The Cumberland Valley was a very big coal producer and there is still a lot of
    coal there. A look on Google Earth shows many strip operations and there are a number of deep
    mines too. A certain politician said the miners could learn programming (or whatever) but it is
    not that easy. In many cases 2 or more generations have worked the mines and it is much of the
    culture.

I am working from a 1950 track chart and it has many branches that have been gone so long
    there is no trace. One of the issues is that we do not have much modern mining structures like
    transloaders, silos, etc. On the KD, there is one mine at the east end of the Pine Mtn. West
    which runs east from Savoy, KY and I pilfered some items from the Powder River route and
    rearranged things to passably fake that mine - actually a processing plant, the coal is trucked
    in from 20 or more miles away but there once was a mine there.

J. H. Sullivan

I am toying with the idea of a Norfolk Southern Columbus District Portsmouth to Ohio (actually I got some started).
    My B&O route Parkersburg to Cincinnati ( Well, that has been a thorn in my side). I may end up releasing a tracks and road only version and have the community have a go at the scenery. Not really sure what the future will hold for that route.
    M. Payne

I left off a few:

14: Stevens Pass. Great Northern, includes all 3 routes used over (or under) the pass. Track done
    15: Camas Prairie including line to connection with UP, Track done
    16: Milwaukee Road, Harlowton to Great Falls, Track done.
    17: MRS Logistica, Northern Portion
    18: MRS Logistica, Southern Portion

Probably never get them all done and my son-in-law is more computer savvy than my wife so I am putting together
    a list and instructions for him to upload any unfinished routes to the library " as unfinished ". My health is great, I
    plan to do the docent thing at the C&TS as long as I can walk, but at 82 I'm well over the hill & got the Westinghouse
    and the Dynamic applied.

Jerry Sullivan