Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: What US routes are underway

The Virginian route burped and produces an error in two locations when attempts are made to go
    into those areas in either MSTS or MSTS-RE but no problem In TSRE or ORTS, so Lukas Lussar has
    the route to see if he can tickle out the issues. Either way, when I get it back, I'll continue on it.
    I have completed all the track for the Nashville (TN) Terminal as it currently is and as soon as I add
    several bridges, I'll put it in the incomplete area sans roads. Should anyone wish to complete it,
    use it to start a new route (preferably either the S&NA(North) Sub., or the Memphis line, either is
    fine with me. I plan to use it to start 2, possibly 3 routes. And if there is a real masochist out
    there, who wants beat his head against the wall, he can resurrect the passenger station which is
    in the 3D version of Google Earth. Faking in the 6 through & several stub tracks ought not be
    too hard.
    Lastly, I am working on the track for the Camas Prairie. This is a challenging route in that it
    seems to have HUNDREDS of timber trestles not to mention the doubling back in Lapwai
    canyon, and the lone steel viaduct over Lawyers creek. One of the timber trestles burned
    some years back and now what is left is a parking lot for unused freight cars. I will likely
    complete it since the main object issue is all those timber trestles. Especially those on the
    side of Lapwai canyon are impressive if nothing else. There are a number of tunnels and
    most if not all, have timber portals. Otherwise there are lots of grain elevators.

J. H. Sullivan
    Covid-19 provides lots of stay at home time, but has knocked me out of volunteering on
    the C&TS this spring, hopefully can do it in the fall.

Well done my good and faithful child.

Jerry, without trying, you have likely become THE most proficient route builder among us.

Was the Camas Prairie was also noted for timber products, too? I vaguely recall an article way back when in a railfan publication and recall being impressed with portions of the line. I think it was UP operated at the time?

All fer now.

Quote Originally Posted by landnrailroader View Post
    The Virginian route burped and produces an error in two locations when attempts are made to go
    into those areas in either MSTS or MSTS-RE but no problem In TSRE or ORTS, so Lukas Lussar has
    the route to see if he can tickle out the issues.
    New TSRE has tool that may help with it.

GokuMK, can you provide some information as to which version of TSRE has the tool, and what the tool is.
    I am using the 0.6974 version.

The Camas Praire was an agricultural and timber hauler. It consists of several subdivisions and starts at Riparia, WA extending east
    to Lewiston, ID and on beyond to Stites, ID. There were two main branches. One leaves the main line (I guess you could say) at
    Orofino, ID and extends east/northeast about 40 miles to Headquarters, ID which was the site of a large logging operation. The
    other branch takes off the main line at Spalding and extends south/southeast to Grangeville. This branch was almost 100% wheat
    and other grains, but there were two independent lines off of it. One extended east from near Reubens several miles and was a
    logging operation. The other was the Nez Perce railroad which extended east about 12 miles from a point south of Reubens. I
    am including both independent lines. There is a huge operation that appears to be a paper mill at the east edge of Lewiston.
    There are also some timber operations between Riparia & Lewiston and a large rail to barge grain transload at Lewiston. The
    line is referred to as the "railroad on stilts" because of the plethora of wood trestles, some quite large. One of these burned a
    few years back and the line no longer goes beyond Culdesac, ID on the line to Grangeville. Spalding to Culdesac is linear
    parking lot for unused railroad equipment these days.

For many years, the Camas Praire was jointly operated by the NP and UP. The NP line connected to the "main" line at a
    point about 15 miles east of Lewiston and existed a while as a BN line but is now abandoned. The UP connects at Riparia, WA.
    a few miles up river (Snake R.) from the Joso Viaduct.

J. H. Sullivan

Quote Originally Posted by landnrailroader View Post
    The Camas Praire was an agricultural and timber hauler. It consists of several subdivisions and starts at Riparia, WA extending east
    to Lewiston, ID and on beyond to Stites, ID. There were two main branches. One leaves the main line (I guess you could say) at
    Orofino, ID and extends east/northeast about 40 miles to Headquarters, ID which was the site of a large logging operation. The
    other branch takes off the main line at Spalding and extends south/southeast to Grangeville. This branch was almost 100% wheat
    and other grains, but there were two independent lines off of it. One extended east from near Reubens several miles and was a
    logging operation. The other was the Nez Perce railroad which extended east about 12 miles from a point south of Reubens. I
    am including both independent lines. There is a huge operation that appears to be a paper mill at the east edge of Lewiston.
    There are also some timber operations between Riparia & Lewiston and a large rail to barge grain transload at Lewiston. The
    line is referred to as the "railroad on stilts" because of the plethora of wood trestles, some quite large. One of these burned a
    few years back and the line no longer goes beyond Culdesac, ID on the line to Grangeville. Spalding to Culdesac is linear
    parking lot for unused railroad equipment these days.

For many years, the Camas Praire was jointly operated by the NP and UP. The NP line connected to the "main" line at a
    point about 15 miles east of Lewiston and existed a while as a BN line but is now abandoned. The UP connects at Riparia, WA.
    a few miles up river (Snake R.) from the Joso Viaduct.

J. H. Sullivan
    Jerry,

Let me know if you need any additional information on the Camas Prairie. That will a huge undertaking, but I wish you the greatest in being able to get it to completion! That region was practically in my back yard through my college years, and is still just a couple hours from where I live now. I have extensively photographed the Lewiston to Riparia (and onward to Ayer) section, and also have a few dozens photos along the Grangeville and Stites branches. Perhaps you already have Hal Riegger's book "The Camas Prairie - Idaho's Railroad on Stilts" which is probably one of the best resources on that railroad.

I assume the logging railroad you referred to from near Reubens is the Craig Mountain RR, extending west/southwest?

What era are you looking to do, or are you aiming to be non-specific? I may be able to provide you some resources on determining what industries were around in what time periods. Historicalaerials.com is a great resource for that...
    ~Sean Kelly~

MRL Mullan Pass for ORTS
    https://www.trainsimulations.net/Pro...LLAN_ORTS.HTML

Sean,

If you have information, pictures, sketches, etc. of that weird swing bridge at Kamai it would
    help. The other bridges are pretty much generic, and I'll use Ron Picardi's vertical lift for the
    one at Lewiston. Lawyers creek is similar to Milwaukee Road viaducts of the 1909 era
    with a few minor details different.

Era, pretty much no particular era. I have found in a few instances that someone will take
    one of my routes and adjust it to a particular era and if someone does that it is fine with
    me.

J. H. Sullivan

I installed the newest version that I saw in the TSRE forum, but I don't see anything new in the way of tools?

I have another route that I have already laid track and catenary on. That is Stevens Pass. Unlike the
    excellent commercial version, this one covers only from just west of the pass to just east, about 60
    miles in all, but it includes all three routes over the pass, and will have marker signs like MCOA2 that
    will explain when you can legitimately (or not) use this or that route. First there is the switchbacks
    in use from 1892 to 1900. Then the first Cascade Tunnel with the great loop back at Scenic that
    was in use from 1900 to 1929 and includes the location of the Wellington disaster of 1910. And
    lastly the current route. Two possible mixed eras would be a few weeks in 1900, and a few weeks
    in 1929.

J. H. Sullivan