Thread: How do you host and run on 2 computers behind router

Default How do you host and run on 2 computers behind router

OK I've been told this can be done. But before I go out buying a new computer (I think I'll go for something top of the line this time around) for using with Run8 (graphics and processor especially) along with I would imagine copies of everything I bought thus far what is required.

I have successfully hooked up my server to a router and have been running pretty good for some time now. I even had another crappier computer hooked up no problem. So let me see if I get this correct. Because I just tried doing a trace route to my server and it failed outside of my router (from same machine).

Obviously I know how to host so I don't expect any changes here. I take it I can host on the lower end machine no problem provided it doesn't get used that often or is used strictly as a server. I was thinking of having my son be a conductor from time to time when he is over on the server end, but that is it. His old computer that I've used for 2 years hosting RTS should be fine as is.

So I get the new computer, make sure I have AVG, malwarebytes. Then I Buy a new copy of Run8 and all the add ons that I want. I install them fire it up.

At this point is where I want to know what I'm doing. Do I actually enter the IP address of my server like anyone else would use, or do I need to enter something else (like the local machine's IP??). I want to be absolutely certain before I make such a purchase because otherwise I probably won't make the purchase.

Thanks

Sean

Got the answers I needed through email. The trick is to use the internal IP address when your connecting via the client.

I must say for those who are serious about running a server this is the way to go. The server runs much nicer when it just has that to deal with instead of constant train acquiring and relinquishing. I remember a time I stayed away from my server and it ran fine for a very long time (I expect the same).

Of course now that I am a client again I can spawn trains so that eliminates that issue. Just have to be cautious when dealing with lots of strings of cars for tagging, relinquishing, switching etc. I think the best work around at this time is to monitor from the server as I run the client in the same are to ensure what strings have vanished either from the client or the server. In most cases lots of the issues currently would occur at the client level and not the server. Simply going out and back in takes care of any of these issues for now.

Hey Sean

You can actually enter the "private" ip-address of that computer to connect to it. If someone else wants to join it they need to have your public ip address to connect or a "domain name" that is set up properly. So basicly you can host from a server in the basement with eg; private ip address 192.168.1.10/24 and the other computers in the same network would use that ip to connect to it, just make sure you use different activation keys or it won't work. Port forward in your router to 192.168.1.10/24 port15196 and it should be ok to go.

If there's anything else don't hesitate to ask

Make the ip of that pc where you have the host game running "static". wouldn't be the first that sets it up re-boots and the ip might be refreshed to a new one and your port forwards wont work anymore.

No I'm fine thanks. That message was a couple months ago prior to hosting from another computer. I've had several reboots and everything is working fine.

Thanks

Sean

Geert, you mentioned using different activation keys for the server and for your game rig. Does that mean two copies of Run8 are required to be purchased?

Personally I purchased a 2nd copy for my server. Not sure if it's a requirement or not. For the longest time I ran on one PC and it would work fine. I suspect it would work better now with recent changes. Having the 2nd computer is beneficial to allow me the freedom of doing other things. My server computer is actually named EmmettServer after my son as it's his computer. He uses it while my server is running whenever he pleases. Doesn't bother the server at all in the background.

For me I get to simply use my client computer to do whatever I want, when I want.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by NS1894 View Post
    Geert, you mentioned using different activation keys for the server and for your game rig. Does that mean two copies of Run8 are required to be purchased?
    I have purchased the the needed files for running the games twice yes. Well if you want to play on your host without issues you need a second copy of the game anyway for the second license. If you need anymore help or personal advice your free to hop on our forum or TS @ run8europe.eu i will be more then happy to help you.
    Use my suggestions at your own risk.
    Founder of Run8 Europe
    Facebook
    Forum