Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illinois Central 1500

Default Illinois Central 1500

I am getting in to modeling with TSM for MSTS. I have decided that my first model is going to be an engine that the MSTS has desperately needed: the Illinois Central's 1500-series 2-8-2 mikados. It's going to be a two-pack when I release it. One will represent one of the engines as it would appear in service, and the other engine will represent 1518, the sole survivor of a class that once numbered almost 300 of it's kind on the IC. Here's what it looked like on Day 2

my_first_msts_modeling_project_day_2_by_zecora_iais7081-d82pnb8.jpg

This is my second attempt at making it. When I started on day 1, I made it very oversized, and it looked a bit more like a Heavy (Mai sandvich!) USRA 2-8-2. I am using parts from Al Norton's models, and Tim Muirs boiler tube pilot, but I'm also trying to make parts of my own for this engine. I will give Al and Tim credit where their credit is due.

This was shot on Monday of this week, I have made a lot of progress since then, and I do plan on making (or attempting to make) a tender as well as the auxiliary water tenders that they used in service.

If this model becomes popular, I will make more locomotives. Should I make more (and time will tell), I'm considering making a very underrated locomotive: the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie A-2 Berkshires, the last steam locomotives ordered by the P&LE, and the last steam locomotives built by ALCO.

#EMDCowlFoamer

Quote Originally Posted by Tailterrier27 View Post
    I am using parts from Al Norton's models, and Tim Muirs boiler tube pilot, but I'm also trying to make parts of my own for this engine.

#EMDCowlFoamer
    A word to the wise....Both Allen Norton and Tim Muir require that you get THEIR permission before releasing anything using their work!
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!

I'll notify both of them before I release it to the public. I've got the connections...and I have the nutrition, thanks to my Wheaties. Eat Wheaties, and you can beat Jim Thrope in the Olympics any day of the week!

Keep in mind, "Notifying" DOES NOT imply permission being granted! Wheaties not withstanding..
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!

Quote Originally Posted by frankoburns View Post
    A word to the wise....Both Allen Norton and Tim Muir require that you get THEIR permission before releasing anything using their work!
    In the case of the TSM items released by Allen and Tim, permission is already given in the respective readme files included to use as is or modify, but the original readme files MUST be included in any subsequent release of derived work.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Here's an update on the 1500, quite a lot of progress has been done

ic_1500_day_4_by_zecora_iais7081-d8327g2.jpg

Thanks for that info on the readmes, that seems reasonable enough to do. Now that I know that, I could do a project that would take less time to do than the IC 1500s: converting Al Norton's B&O T-3 into a IC 4-8-2 2613. 2613 was one of the last steam locomotives to be used in regular service on the IC, and it was the only 2600 that even came close to being preserved. A very early Kentucky Railroad Museum wanted to purchase the 2613, but the IC wanted to sell it as it's scrap value, and KRM didn't have the money to save it.

Tailterrier27

"Here's an update on the 1500, quite a lot of progress has been done"

You have my permission to release your model when it's finished. I have no problem to your using the part's. That's why they were put up. To use and to give the younger and beginning modelers something to work with. And hopefully you'll stick with it and build many more models.

Have fun and don't rush it. Take your time and enjoy your hobby.

Allen

PS; I'm sure Tim won't mind either. But you will need to contact him by PM at Elvas Tower.
    Last edited by nortec; 10-20-2014 at 04:57 PM.

Hey, thanks Al. I'm also trying to do some conversions with some of your other models:
    B&O T-3-either an IC 2600 or an NYC Mohawk (with smoke deflectors)
    B&O EM-1-either an N&W Y6a or a DM&IR Yellowstone

How the heck did you find out about me doing this? Also, what do you think of it so far?

#EMDCowlFoamer

"How the heck did you find out about me doing this? Also, what do you think of it so far?"

To the first question. I read your post. To the second question. Looking good but needs refinement.

The T-3 might make those your talking about but it would take a lot of rebuilding for either. And the EM-1 might make a DM&IR Yellowstone as it's already of that configuration but would never make a Y6B. Most noticeably is that the EM-1 was known as a simple locomotive or one expansion for both sets of cylinders whereas the Y6B was a compound locomotive or Mallet.

I have an unfinished Y6B that was started many years ago. I you'd like to tackle it I'll send it to you. No animations were done. Just a basic shape.

However, you should concentrate on your present project and not lose your momentum. It's easy to grab at other projects and then lose interest in the first. A word of caution from one who knows. I have a hundred or more unfinished models. You'll have plenty to do with all the animations, texturing, and other details before your model is finished.

Allen

Okay...I have no idea what I was smoking when I said I was going to do conversions with the EM-1. It would be nice to have a DM&IR Yellowstone, but I've got other models that I want to make. I just got started, I'm not ready to tackle articulateds just yet. I'm not worried about animations, I've got a friend who is going to take care of the animation for me.

It's unfortunate that you told me that I shouldn't lose my momentum on the IC 1500, because that's exactly what happened. I've got the basic model complete, but adding details has brought progress down to a crawl. There's so many little details I have to add, and I even have to make some of them myself if it's a part that didn't come with either the E-27 or the Q4 (the main parts donor for this project). The biggest pain in the _____ (insert obvious word) is going to be the handrails. I can't seem to get them to be the right size, in scale with the rest of the locomotive. And shaping them is the other thing I'm going to "enjoy". On a side note, I'm going to rebuild the Paducah Sand Dome, and make it one solid shape.

It's taking a lot more time, energy, and commitment thatn I had envisioned. But will it be worth the time and energy in the end?

You'd better believe it!

#EMDCowlFoamer