Thread: AI traffic in Open Rails

Default AI traffic in Open Rails

Hey everyone,

I'm just starting to get into Open Rails and have a quick inquiry regarding AI traffic. I was running the A451 activity which comes with MLT's CN Bala Sub v2 and noticed that I wasn't meeting the traffic at the same locations than when I was running the same activity in MSTS. I was wondering if there was a difference in how the AI operates in OR as opposed to MSTS so I can keep an eye out for it when I make further acts for OR. Thanks in advance for any info!!

Patrick

Yes there is. In OR the AI will run at the max line speed allowed, but unlike MSTS, the AI train must have adequate power for the load and ruling grade. If it is low on power, it will run slower on grades and take longer to get up to speed. The OR signalling and dispatch systems also have an effect in this.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Difference in a very positive way too in addition to what Baldwin says.
    MUCH better AI control and I'm presently trying to find a limit on the PRR East.

I'm running a passenger activity full length on the NEC from New York to Washington that has 60 AI trains running flawlessly.

The only thing I uses MSTS for any more is the Editors.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Okay, but it seems to me that after attempting run both that activity and an activity which I made for CP Mactier where the AI traffic reached a red signal at the crossover right before the AI paths and Player paths cross into a auntie track. This only has happened in Open Rails, is there any concrete explanation for this happening?

Patrick

The Mactier problem may just be a matter of adjusting the timing or adding a double reverse point. OR uses a thing called a traveller which keeps track of where a train is supposed to be at any given time. Each train has a path projected ahead of it, and where paths cross each other, whichever gets there first gets the road.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.