Thread: New to MSTS and looking for help please

Default New to MSTS and looking for help please

So I just bought MSTS offline and got it in the mail yesterday. I would like to make it so that the Penalty brakes never come on for any of the locomotives. I've researched this heavily on Google and on Youtube and can not find an answer. I did happen to find one page online that showed some of the .eng script and had certain numbers increased, and they also said you could outright delete a certain part of the script to get rid of the Penalty brakes.

I deleted all EmergencyStopMonitor, VigilanceMonitor, and OverspeedMonitor code, in the Acela.eng file to get rid of the Penalty brakes, but they still engage if you overspeed, and all I want to do is make it so those Penalty brakes never engage. If anyone knows how to do this, I would like to know how myself. Thank you.

Go into the OPTIONS screen and uncheck the ALERTER...that will help some..unfortunately, penalties are written into MSTS' coding for use in activities for realism. Simplest way to avoid them: Quit driving your train in a way which triggers them while in an activity. READ YOUR MANUAL! (F1 at the menu screen)
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!

From the Acela engine file. Pretty much self explanatory yes?

Code:
    OverspeedMonitor(
    		MonitoringDeviceMonitorTimeLimit( 0 )
    		MonitoringDeviceAlarmTimeLimit( 5 )
    		MonitoringDevicePenaltyTimeLimit( 0 )
    		MonitoringDeviceCriticalLevel( 151 )
    		MonitoringDeviceResetLevel( 0 )
    		MonitoringDeviceAppliesFullBrake( 0 )
    		MonitoringDeviceAppliesEmergencyBrake( 0 )
    		MonitoringDeviceAppliesCutsPower( 0 )
    		MonitoringDeviceAppliesShutsDownEngine( 0 )
    		MonitoringDeviceTriggerOnTrackOverspeed( 0 )		
                    MonitoringDeviceTriggerOnTrackOverspeedMargin( 2 )
    		MonitoringDeviceResetOnZeroSpeed( 1 ) 
    		MonitoringDeviceResetOnResetButton( 0 )
    		)
    You mentioned you had deleted all these sections but it still triggered on overspeed.

That means you probably did not follow the proper install instructions, failed to read the Sticky's and the FAQ'q and went and installed MSTS to one of your Program Files folders. i.e. The Default install path.

Wont work my friend. You only thought you removed the sections you quoted. Due to where you have MSTS installed you didn't remove anything. MS Security won't let you.

I was going to suggest you try Open Rails but OR thankfully won't let you crash trains. Which means you probably won't want it?
    Am I wrong in making this assessment?
    Last edited by Vince; 11-20-2014 at 12:31 PM.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

In all the years of running MSTS I have never had Penalty brakes apply, no matter which loco, route or activity I have run !

P.S.: except when passing a RED signal !

Last edited by OTTODAD; 11-20-2014 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    From the Acela engine file. Pretty much self explanatory yes?

Code:
    OverspeedMonitor(
    		MonitoringDeviceMonitorTimeLimit( 0 )
    		MonitoringDeviceAlarmTimeLimit( 5 )
    		MonitoringDevicePenaltyTimeLimit( 0 )
    		MonitoringDeviceCriticalLevel( 151 )
    		MonitoringDeviceResetLevel( 0 )
    		MonitoringDeviceAppliesFullBrake( 0 )
    		MonitoringDeviceAppliesEmergencyBrake( 0 )
    		MonitoringDeviceAppliesCutsPower( 0 )
    		MonitoringDeviceAppliesShutsDownEngine( 0 )
    		MonitoringDeviceTriggerOnTrackOverspeed( 0 )		
                    MonitoringDeviceTriggerOnTrackOverspeedMargin( 2 )
    		MonitoringDeviceResetOnZeroSpeed( 1 ) 
    		MonitoringDeviceResetOnResetButton( 0 )
    		)
    You mentioned you had deleted all these sections but it still triggered on overspeed.

That means you probably did not follow the proper install instructions, failed to read the Sticky's and the FAQ'q and went and installed MSTS to one of your Program Files folders. i.e. The Default install path.

Wont work my friend. You only thought you removed the sections you quoted. Due to where you have MSTS installed you didn't remove anything. MS Security won't let you.
    I didn't install to the default path. I installed the game to E:\GAMES\MS Train Simulator. Therefore the deletion of those code structures did indeed delete, as I saw it happen, and never got a message about them not deleting, and I was sure to save the file after deletion.

If you re-read what I said initally, "I deleted all EmergencyStopMonitor, VigilanceMonitor, and OverspeedMonitor code, in the Acela.eng file to get rid of the Penalty brakes, but they still engage if you overspeed"

Please don't make up facts as you go along. I am sure many people have done that, I have not.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I was going to suggest you try Open Rails but OR thankfully won't let you crash trains. Which means you probably won't want it?
    Am I wrong in making this assessment?
    You are right. All I was trying to do was get my trains to go fast then wreck, but I noticed all I needed to do was use the Explore Route option. You still get the overspeed indicator but the penalty brakes never apply in that mode. I was able to figure it out.
    Last edited by RS_User; 11-20-2014 at 07:06 PM.

All I was trying to do was get my trains to go fast then wreck
    I had a feeling about this that you only wanted to crash trains. Some people may get thrill out of it but we don't. You will be frown upon and most likely will not get help from us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [URL="https://www.facebook.com/ken.plaza.9"]My Facebook Page
    [/URL][URL="http://jeffreywimberly.proboards.com/"]Rails of the World Forum
    [/URL][URL="http://frankoburns.proboards.com/"]Mophouse-MLTDownloads Froum[/URL]