Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for the required SLI CP ES44AC Train Pack

An easier utility to uncompress S files is SHAPE FILE MANAGER. (sfm25.zip in the library here)
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!

Zipper should also do it and Archibald will allow you to edit an s file with decompressing.
    Regards,

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup View Post
    Zipper should also do it and Archibald will allow you to edit an s file with decompressing.
    Well, I tried the sfm25 program, and it didn't work, and I tried using Zipper, and it told me,

"1 file(s) to process!

0 file(s) processed successfully!
    0 file(s) left untouched.
    Could not process the following file(s):
    E:\GAMES\MS Train Simulator\TRAINS\TRAINSET\CSX_ES44AH_Heritage_Seri es\CP_ES44_8728.s"

I'm wondering, am I using the correct S file? The initial instructions in the zip file for the Heritage set tells me:

Extract the contents of this zip file to your MSTS\Trainset folder; you should end up with a folder called "CSX_ES44AH_Heritage_Series". The files are designed in such a way that the contents of all 5 volumes can be installed to the same trainset folder without conflict. A few of the files will conflict because they are identically named, but the files themselves are identical so it does not matter if you overwrite them or not. You can install as many or as few of the heritage units as you wish.

Copy the CP_ES44AC_8728.s shape file, as well as the CABVIEW and SOUND folders (or just the cabview folder if you're using a third-party sound package), into the "CSX_ES44AH_Heritage_Series" folder. You will need to make a small change to your cabview (.cvf) file... the viewpoint is set too low by default and you will be looking out through the nose rather than the cab windows; this will be apparent when you see a part of the freight animation right in front of you. To avoid this, look for the "Position" entries (there are three of them) and change the middle number of each from 3.5 to 3.9. This will raise your viewpoint by 0.4 meter, enough to get you above the nose to where you should be. You may want to make this change to all of your other SLI ES44AC cabviews so that you are viewing the scenery from the correct angle, actually...

Uncompress the .s file with Route-Riter, and open in a text editor. You must be familiar and comfortable with editing shape files to accomplish the following two steps.

I've triple checked my work, and I've done everything correctly according to those instructions, up to the uncompression stage. There is only 1 discrepancy and that is the name of the S file. In the instructions it says "Copy the CP_ES44AC_8728.s shape file" The only file I see that is the closest, is CP_ES44_8728.s

Quote Originally Posted by RS_User View Post
    Well, I tried the sfm25 program, and it didn't work,
    What didn't work? Did you read the instruction? All you do is drag the shape over the "HTA" file and shapefile mgr will open with a screen showing directory structure etc..theres a menu with options to edit the shape-(images etc.) The program works on ALL versions of windows! What do you mean "It didn't work" ? Vague answers will get you zero help!
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!

Quote Originally Posted by frankoburns View Post
    What didn't work? Did you read the instruction? All you do is drag the shape over the "HTA" file and shapefile mgr will open with a screen showing directory structure etc..theres a menu with options to edit the shape-(images etc.) The program works on ALL versions of windows! What do you mean "It didn't work" ? Vague answers will get you zero help!
    Sorry about that, I'll be a bit more clear. The installation instructions in the sfm.zip file tell me:

INSTALLATION:
    ============

Copy the file SFM25.HTA into any folder you like, and double-click on it to run
    the program.

So I do that, then there is a list of S files, the CP_ES44_8728.s file and under that in the list are 5 other S files. I click on Options for the CP_ES44_8728.s file, I click on Uncompress and a message comes up that says:

Shapefile: CP_ES44_8728.s
    Action: Uncompress shape file

I can click on Ok or Cancel, so I click on Ok, and another message comes up that says:

Uncompress failed to complete - file not updated
    [object error]

I will try it the way you suggested by dragging the file over the HTA file and see what that does for me.

Edit: I dragged the CP_ES44_8728.s file over top of the HTA file and the CP_ES44_8728.s file copied into the folder where the HTA file is. So I left clicked and held on the s file, and dragged it on top of the HTA file and nothing happened.
    Last edited by RS_User; 11-24-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Hi Gentlemen,
    As Shape File Manager is an hta file, you MUST have Internet Explorer installed for it to work, but it does NOT have to be your default browser.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
    Ged

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi Gentlemen,
    As Shape File Manager is an hta file, you MUST have Internet Explorer installed for it to work, but it does NOT have to be your default browser.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
    Ged

Thanks Ged Well, I have Internet Explorer installed, I just don't use it, but if I double click the HTA file, the program does work, I just can't seem to uncompress the S file. And I've used Route Riter, HTA and Zipper so far. I just receive error messages in each program. And I am following the instructions that come with each program. Thanks for the reply

SFM has a habit of destroying some shape files. If you highlight the file and hover over it, it may give information on the file like the size of it. If the size is in kB, then it is compressed. If the size is in mB, the file is decompressed. If the size is 0kB, the file is toast, hope you have a backup.

Try Route Riter again. This time when you get the message about the destination folder in the right window. look above the window and click the SAME VIEW button. When decompressed, the file will be same folder you started out with. Do the same when compressing.

hth,

John

Hi RS_User,
    With a name like that, what are you doing on the MSTS Forum?
    When you start SFM, go to the top left hand corner and click on the following line :Click here if FFEDITC_UNICODE.EXE is not in the default location

and enter the exact path to the folder which contains FFEDITC_UNICODE.exe
    This is usually UTILS/FFEDIT which is in your MSTS root folder. I've had a problem before where although it shows the correct path, by re-entering it, it seems to refresh its memory!!

Cheers,
    Ged

Quote Originally Posted by DCRR1 View Post
    SFM has a habit of destroying some shape files. If you highlight the file and hover over it, it may give information on the file like the size of it. If the size is in kB, then it is compressed. If the size is in mB, the file is decompressed. If the size is 0kB, the file is toast, hope you have a backup.

Try Route Riter again. This time when you get the message about the destination folder in the right window. look above the window and click the SAME VIEW button. When decompressed, the file will be same folder you started out with. Do the same when compressing.

hth,

John
    So I tried Route Riter again. I placed the s file into a blank directory and did what you said. I clicked on same view, and tried to uncompress the s file that way, and I received a new error message, "An error 76 occurred in SubRoutine 'Command26' Please advise support with details of operations being processed."