Thread: Did D&RGW have UP Type Signals With the Hood? (Pic Enclosed)

Default Did D&RGW have UP Type Signals With the Hood? (Pic Enclosed)

Enclosed is a picture of those signals with the hoods the Union Pacific has on their system most notably around Cheyenne & Laramie. (Sorry for the large JPEG, but it's only one file. Couldn't find anything better.)

I want to say that the D&RGW had the same kind or something similar in design.

I have not found a thing on TrainSim or other sites that have these kind of signals for download so I will attempt to make them in Sketchup. (Don't worry, I'm getting much better with model design, not making stuff as much with huge poly hits.)

As always, Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

For all intents and purposes, Irvine, CA.

Those would be Safetran CLS-20R stacked colorlights, known by railfans as "Darth Vaders", which are often equipped with snowhoods. D&RGW did have snowhoods (the full-background visor, as opposed to individual visors for each light) on many signals.

However, close examination will show that they are an earlier design. Safetran colorlights have curved light housings--leading to signal fans nicknaming the light housings "seashells". D&RGW's signals have a nearly rectangular light housing, more consistent with General Railway Signal stacked colorlights. Also of note is that GRS truncates the background near the attachment point, leading to this "lopsided" look around the bottom. D&RGW's signals are definitely consistent with this design.

Also of note--there is a pack of older TSM block signal parts in the file library (Filename yss_sig1.zip , also TSM can be downloaded here) which would definitely be a solid start. Hope this helps!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Hold tight, feel the drivers bite, hear the whistle moan
    Engine rockin' to the left and right, vibratin' in my bones
    Once the locomotive steals your soul, you got a Casey Jones"
    -Lemmy Kilmister, Motörhead

Quote Originally Posted by MSTS lifer View Post
    I have not found a thing on TrainSim or other sites that have these kind of signals for download so I will attempt to make them in Sketchup. (Don't worry, I'm getting much better with model design, not making stuff as much with huge poly hits.) As always, Thanks.
    Comment : I do not know if I have this wrong, ( and someone correct me, if I do ), but signals do require some kind of "animation", or some other "functionality", that Sketchup simply is not suitable for .

That would explain why you will never see ( MSTS ) railroad signals, made in other than such as TSM, GMax, or 3DCrafter .

Now that TSM is available again, you might want to consider using this design program .

Jean Brisson

My horizontal CNW signalhead was done in Sketchup, and works fine.

All that's needed is for the object's matrix to be named HEAD1 so that the signal script will work with the shapefile.

That's as simple as opening up a text editor and changing "matrix main" to "matrix HEAD1".

All the placement of the lights is done in the script itself.

If you want a multi-head signal, you'll need GMax, TSM, or 3DC.

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    My horizontal CNW signalhead was done in Sketchup, and works fine.

All that's needed is for the object's matrix to be named HEAD1 so that the signal script will work with the shapefile.

That's as simple as opening up a text editor and changing "matrix main" to "matrix HEAD1".

If you want a multi-head signal, you'll need GMax, TSM, or 3DC.

OK, good for a one head single making it in Sketchup. So Multi-heads are the question if done with Sketchup. I have read that there is now Sketchup plugins that support TSM, GMax, & 3DC though I have not fully looked into seeing if this is true and if so, how to get the plugin.

If there are truly no plugins, then I'll have to use different signals associated with other D&RGW signals for signal bridges, sidings and other multi-head aspects which I think would be OK. Railroads used more than just one style of signal. Example is semaphores on Raton Pass at one time when AT&SF had the line.

If you want a multi-head signal, you'll need GMax, TSM, or 3DC.[/QUOTE]

La Sauve Majeure, near Bordeaux, France - into the "Entre Deux Mers" wine country

I made some DRGW style signals with TSM, if someone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by JLChauvin View Post
    I made some DRGW style signals with TSM, if someone is interested.
    YES!! I'm very interested in what you got. I'll PM you for pics if have any and if you issue then for free or what your fee(s) are.

La Sauve Majeure, near Bordeaux, France - into the "Entre Deux Mers" wine country

Here is a link to the Streamlines forum, with some examples: http://www.streamlines.ca/phpBB3/vie...php?f=22&t=311

JLC