Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Noob Pre-Purchase Questions

Default Some Noob Pre-Purchase Questions

Hi all!

Just a few questions as I'm considering Run8, and have looked over the Run8studio site a bit. Even if you don't know all the answers, any input would be appreciated.

1. I see quite a bit of emphasis on multiplayer. I don't plan on running MP, DRM/activation is an automatic dealbreaker, and my gaming rig isn't even internet-capable - I run strictly offline. Will I have any issues?

2. Is it a reasonably good sim under single-player? Will dispatcher function with AI as well as user trains, or is multitrain dispatching really something you'd need to do in multiplayer?

3. I don't expect any in-depth details on this one (unless you'd like to provide them! ), but is content creation with Blender possible? Is there an exporter and is there a version restriction? I'm skilled in v2.5 and later. I'm not totally lost when it comes to 3DS or other programs, but I'd rather not have to learn a new platform or "wash" content through another one. Plus, I already have 1000+ assets I have created for Trainz in Blender which I'd want to port over.

4. Is route-building possible and difficult?

Thanks for any answers you may give.

In an attempt to answer your questions......

1. Once you download and install the sim you do not need to be connected to the internet in order to use Run 8 in solo mode.

2. Solo-play is fine (in my opinion) but understand that there is no AI traffic.

3. There is no user-editing capability. All software is available only through Run 8 Studios.

4. There is no route-building creative suite available to end-users.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Just to bring up a couple of points here, while there is no AI at this point, it is almost certain to be coming in the not too distant future so don't make a negative decision based solely upon that. At the very least, keep an eye on the Run8 web site for it to show up and then decide on your purchase.

Also, the one thing you will get from Run8 that you will not get with any other sim is the most realistic train physics available. It's worth the $40 just to experience that. Check this out: http://www.attherailyard.com/seasonf...sodes.htm#run8 The video is old, and many upgrades have been made to the sim since but the points made in the review are very well done.

The choice is yours but the cost is low and it's quite well done.
    Doug B.
    Eugene, Oregon, USA - Pacific Standard Time ( - 8:00 UTC )
    3.4 ghz Intel i7-3770 quad core processor, 8 gigs RAM, 2 gig AMD Radeon HD 7850

If editing and building routes is your thing, then Run8 may not be for you. However I will say this, if you are serious and have a background and experience you may be considered to become an official developer. I'm assuming Run8 is still interested in other developers as I know at least 1 went off the radar recently. They are going to want someone also that is going to get a handle of things and produce as a good rate. That is just my opinion only, you never know unless you ask.

The $40 starting price is certainly worth it for single player alone. With that you will get the Mojave Sub as well as the Barstow Yard which has a working hump. There is plenty of operations capabilities, and other developers like myself and others who have content to suit you needs such as external dispatchers, train generation, and car forwarding.

AI is not a question of if but when. There was a time where I really needed to see it, but have since been fine without it. So I gave up asking about it etc. But lately more of a buzz has started directly from the developers wanting to know what we wanted to see. That would suggest what people are thinking is going to come soon. Nothing official, but it doesn't take much to think about that.

I think to enjoy single player (at least myself) you must really enjoy operating trains and the switching that goes with it. Honestly though if your just into graphics and seeing other trains pass you by it may not be for you. Check out the video though. I have several single players that use my software along side Run8 and are having a blast.

Thanks

Sean

1. No, but youll be alone.

2. For a couple of days and then you get bored being alone.

3. No.

4. No

In your case dont buy it. If you can hook your rig up to the net then Id say go for it, if the good ole boys club atmosphere doesnt exist anymore. Doubt it.

If you have played other train games and think you know how to run a real train, it is worth the $40 to find out just how little you really know about the physics of running a long train in a true simulation. IMO.

Come on HI, how do you know he is going to be bored being alone? Others here seem to have been able to cope fine.

As for good ole boys club there is politics to some degree or another everywhere including my server. You're going to get that with any social group that you join. The key is finding the social group that fits your needs. BTW I don't know of any group or server out there that doesn't have friendly people among it willing to help period.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by dab1068 View Post
    Also, the one thing you will get from Run8 that you will not get with any other sim is the most realistic train physics available.
    According to some railroaders in our club, the physics used to be great, as close as you could get, but for some reason they changed them away from what they were. It seems that they are moving it away from being a sim, and more toward turning it into a game. Our club has decided to move away from Run 8 for awhile until they decide what they are going to do.
    Last edited by Rodney; 12-12-2014 at 11:54 AM.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    It seems that they are moving it away from being a sim, and more toward turning it into a game.
    I can tell you guys right now, with absolute certainty, that is not the case. There have been very few changes made to the physics and any that have been made is absolutely an attempt to increase realism not to diminish it to the level of a "game". There have been a LOT of real life railroaders giving feedback and that in itself is a bit of a problem. While the feedback is greatly appreciated, its hard to nail something down exactly without good data or numbers so every change that is made without good solid numbers is a bit of a guessing game. John has always stated give him good numbers and he'll replicate it exactly.

Also I am a former conductor with CSX and I can tell that Run 8 is the closest experience I have had.

any good old boys club atmosphere as you put it if it ever existed is not associated with the Sim and Run8, the developers cannot control the actions of people and their attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by HI! View Post
    1. No, but youll be alone.

2. For a couple of days and then you get bored being alone.

3. No.

4. No

In your case dont buy it. If you can hook your rig up to the net then Id say go for it, if the good ole boys club atmosphere doesnt exist anymore. Doubt it.