Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Noob Pre-Purchase Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    According to some railroaders in our club, the physics used to be great, as close as you could get, but for some reason they changed them away from what they were. It seems that they are moving it away from being a sim, and more toward turning it into a game. Our club has decided to move away from Run 8 for awhile until they decide what they are going to do.
    those people need to communicate with Run8 with accurate proof that there is something off, as Jim has stated, the goal is to make it as accurate as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by SCLJim View Post
    There have been a LOT of real life railroaders giving feedback and that in itself is a bit of a problem. While the feedback is greatly appreciated, its hard to nail something down exactly without good data or numbers so every change that is made without good solid numbers is a bit of a guessing game. John has always stated give him good numbers and he'll replicate it exactly.

Also I am a former conductor with CSX and I can tell that Run 8 is the closest experience I have had.
    Been there, done that. I worked with John and gave him the info that he need that I gathered on my job as engineer. When he was done, it was as close to perfect as you could be, even the other engineers commented how good it was.

those people need to communicate with Run8 with accurate proof that there is something off, as Jim has stated, the goal is to make it as accurate as possible.
    It was another railroader that noticed the change and posted it for John in the forum. It was soon removed from the forum by a member of the team.
    DAMS Run 8 Multiplayer servers. 24/7 servers open to public and a prototypical server which requires registration.
    The DAMS website is http://www.run8dams.com The DAMS forum address is http://www.Run8.us/dams

Quote Originally Posted by HI! View Post
    In your case dont buy it...
    On what do you base this bit of advice?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I'm not a railroader by any means so I can comment. But I don't personally know anything out there that feels more realistic than Run8. The others are games in comparison. That's not a knock against other sims as every sim has its pros and cons for what a person wants.

Thanks

Sean

I appreciate the advice, all, thanks again. I think I'll give it a shot. If nothing else, I'd like to show the guys some support for not DRMing it! I'll take a gamble. Now it's just a question of when...hehe.

FTR, my biggest issue with the sim itself is that it's not open, but I will follow Sean's advice look into content creation at some point in the future. I figure the worst that can happen is they say "no". If there's no AI (at least not now), meh, I'll live. As for running single-player and getting bored, all I can say is, when I get bored, I stop playing for maybe a year, play again for awhile, get bored, wait another year, play again, rinse and repeat. Most of my games and sims are 20-30 years old and I play them as much as I did as a kid!

Quote Originally Posted by rrsignal2 View Post
    If nothing else, I'd like to show the guys some support for not DRMing it!
    What makes you think that it isn't coming in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    What makes you think that it isn't coming in the future?
    what makes you think it is?

I think it was one of the developers was discussing one night on a teamspeak.

hmmmmm never heard any discussion on that one way or the other

What the hell is "DRMing"?

Sounds medical!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0