Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Noob Pre-Purchase Questions

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    What the hell is "DRMing"?

Sounds medical!
    DRM means "digital rights management". It's a technology that lets the author of a digital product control it after its purchase by an end-user. It prevents copying or modifications of the product. By "DRMing", it means including DRM technology to the product.

Glad someone else is hip with the latest terms. Damm I feel old now.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by tjm123 View Post
    DRM means "digital rights management". .....
    Thank you.
    Sounds similar to that horrible "Starforce" protection of a few or more years back.

You know, I was in the IT business for almost a decade - from 1993 to 2001 - and the knowledge I had then is but ancient history now.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Thank you.
    Sounds similar to that horrible "Starforce" protection of a few or more years back.

You know, I was in the IT business for almost a decade - from 1993 to 2001 - and the knowledge I had then is but ancient history now.
    The mainstream forms of DRM/activation now are as bad if not worse. Not that this is an excuse for Starforce or similar systems.

Im just wondering why you all Dislike DRM? is it not a form of Anti-Piracy

Thank you.

If your ancient history then I'm prehistoric Graduated IT Information Systems in 1994. I went into college with a bit of IT experience and dealing with the cutting edge at the time "Commodore 64" first but then something called Next Generation Programming on mini systems like VAX for a large company in the area. I came out of college a dinosaur as basically what they taught me was pretty much obsolete in the industry. Since that time other then a few professional contracts, I became a hobby programmer catching up. I'm more of an old school programmer hence why RTS for the most part it text based with using editable files. At least Bridgemaster was a bit more user friendly.

Thanks

Sean

Why would you want to purchase a game and buy extra product then be told that you can only play multiplayer by connecting to company owned servers and then they charge you an additional subscription fee per month. A couple of games that I play have done that and I've quit playing them

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Why would you want to purchase a game and buy extra product then be told that you can only play multiplayer by connecting to company owned servers and then they charge you an additional subscription fee per month. A couple of games that I play have done that and I've quit playing them
    That's one of the reasons that I dislike on-line gaming and would like to see Run 8 introduce AI.
    It's such a bloody good sim that it needs a good AI feature for those of us who prefer solo play.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I think AI is beneficial to both SP and MP. Though I see it more of a MP enhancement. But as mentioned in the other thread on it, there is ways that even a simple AI that runs services can help SP. I'm not sure how hard it's going to be pressed for an AI dispatcher. But I'll see what I can do next year regardless. AI trains that move is a feature only Run8 can bring us. Hopefully it is something planned for next year as well.

But getting back on topic I know what it's like to want to be just in your own world. I've been fortunate enough to see increased activity on my servers as of late. I think good words are starting to get around, and that's all I ever wanted as far as pleasing the community goes.

Beyond that my goals have been to provide car forwarding to keep me occupied. Others seem to like it now, and that is cool. I know how explore mode grew old in MSTS for me until I found various utilities to spice it up like activity generator (the motivation behind RTS before Run8). Activity Changer was another utility that mixed things up a bit and at least caused AI to come at different times providing different meets for the same activities.

So I can relate to wanting to see traffic your own way in your own world without interaction with other humans. I'm not much of a people person so this is another reason why I'm not a fan of teamspeak. I'm not antisocial but for me I come to run trains and not socialize. I've met some good online friends however through MP both on my server and others. Fortunately with new options and expansion comes new choices. That AI will be a great way of filling it in for everyone if they desire that option.

Thanks

Sean

Sean, I play games (not meaning to demean computer sims or those who develop them) for entertainment, relaxation and a way of turning off from the worries of the real world.
    That's always been my take on computer gaming since my first C64.

Therefore multi-player or on-line gaming has no appeal because it brings into the scene other people with whom I have to interact and if
    I've been doing that all day, I don't want to be extending the experience into my leisure time at home.

Thus the reason I prefer sims that I can play as a solo gamer.