Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to fix a bug with a route file and such?

Default How to fix a bug with a route file and such?

D&SL Moffat Road... Yeah this bug that has been around for over a year or two, is still present... OR only classes it as Medium and pretty much doesn't do anything else, would think a bug that prohibits a route being ran would be a pretty darn high priority rather than what lately has been done with more minor bug fixes like AI Smoke Emission Missing, a ' minor bug' in the Car Spawn, ProTrain Signal Animations(Only eyecandy), and other relatively minor things. It's, apparent OR Has no real interest in fixing a game-breaking issue, so, I'm going to be left to do with it myself. Where should I start? Attached is the OR Log file, but I can't make heads or tails of it and what the issue is/where it's located/etc.OpenRailsLog.txt

I've had the problem also for more than a year. Before that the route ran just fine in OR. I believe I added my comments and an OpenRails.log to the Bug Tracker. The curious thing is Log file lists this Error "Error: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    at ORTS.Viewer3D.WaterPrimitive.LoadGeometry(Graphics Device graphicsDevice, Tile tile, Int32& primitiveCount, IndexBuffer& indexBuffer, VertexBuffer& vertexBuffer) in e:\Documents\Coding\Jenkins\jobs\Open Rails Experimental\workspace\Source\RunActivity\Viewer3D \Water.cs:line 97" but as far as I can see there is no water anywhere in this part of the route. (about 10 mi. west of Denver)
    Anyway, this is a fine route (Thanks, Don) and I would love to to be able to run it again in OR. By the way, it fails for me in ANY activity or in Explore Mode also.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by farrmp View Post
    I've had the problem also for more than a year. Before that the route ran just fine in OR. I believe I added my comments and an OpenRails.log to the Bug Tracker. The curious thing is Log file lists this Error "Error: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    at ORTS.Viewer3D.WaterPrimitive.LoadGeometry(Graphics Device graphicsDevice, Tile tile, Int32& primitiveCount, IndexBuffer& indexBuffer, VertexBuffer& vertexBuffer) in e:\Documents\Coding\Jenkins\jobs\Open Rails Experimental\workspace\Source\RunActivity\Viewer3D \Water.cs:line 97" but as far as I can see there is no water anywhere in this part of the route. (about 10 mi. west of Denver)
    Anyway, this is a fine route (Thanks, Don) and I would love to to be able to run it again in OR. By the way, it fails for me in ANY activity or in Explore Mode also.

Paul
    Indeed, the route is my all time favorite... I'd love to run it as well. And yeah, fails at any part of the route you try and run on, from Glenwood Springs to Denver, and wherever in between. With any consist, any loco, any car.

Did you post your message over at the forum of Elvas Tower and am sure that you will get a quick response about this.

John

No, I haven't posted at ET.. I use the OR section here, why we have one after all. Not to mention, can't get more direct than submitting the bug report to them either. They're -aware- of the situation, clearly.

It really depends on where you start and finish in the route. I just opened and ran an activity in this route using OR X2778. In fact I have been running this route ever since I asked about this last January (2014). I have several activities that run and also explore. The route does load in OR

There was a bug report opened then. (See Screenshots)

The problem lies within the route structure, and it affects activities that end or pass by Denver (don't hold me to that, it's from memory) but it is localized. Other areas of the route run just fine.
    I have an activity that only goes through Rollins Pass and it runs fine with AI traffic on the main and on the pass.

The OR team is trying to clean up current bugs and other issues to be able to release V1.0. That's a lot of work and it requires some sort of organized approach, so not everything is going to be fixed in the order one may expect it to be. Patience, this is all volunteer work.

If you search Moffat at Elvas you'll get some more information.

Moffat1.jpgMoffat2.jpgMoffatBug.jpg
    Last edited by R. Steele; 01-12-2015 at 04:00 AM. Reason: added date
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Odd. I can't do ANYTHING with this route... I tried running it(same OR version as you, X2778), from various starting places. Glenwood Springs, and Tabernash-Glenwood, and each time I got the error. And yes I understand OR is volunteer work... But in my opinion, a lot of the recent work has been unnecessary compared to serious issues like this. And again, I'm offering to get this crap taken care of myself but I need a way to go off about it. Same really for getting the #5 view to behave like the 3D Cab ALT1 view, such as having the 3D Cab's walk-around ability, and getting the camera placement to turn WITH the superelevation and take away the 'NASCAR gyracam' effect on the #5 and 3D Cab views, which TBH has me completely turned off of activating Superelevation... However such is at this poit a minor issue, compared to the Index bug which is 1 to 2 years outstanding.

I also have been running this route without problems. Flawless really!

Making guesses as to whats wrong is very frustrating plus the problems learning a new sim program.
    Lots the same but there are differences.

Have you fully checked out the route, activities and stock by running the Route_Riter tests?

May I suggest you first lay a solid foundation by checking your route installation by running the Route_Riter tests
    1. [CHECK ROUTE] 2. [ICHK] ( on the TSUtils Tab) and last the tests on the Activities Tab.

Once you have a route in place that passes all the diagnostic tests you can get to really enjoying Open Rails.

Right now you are running a guessing game trying to figure out if it's a game (route) problem or a sim (Open Rails) problem.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Vince; 01-12-2015 at 12:21 PM.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

After Vince's post I did a little detective work.

I ran through Route Riter again. There were no Errors
    Starting at Grand Junction the route crashed.
    I had distant mountains set on 50.
    I turned off distant mountains and it worked.

Next I tried various settings for distant mountains. I found that the route would crash if distant mountains were set higher than 42.

Apparently the problem is related to the distant mountain settings.

Basil

Quote Originally Posted by bprice View Post
    After Vince's post I did a little detective work.

I ran through Route Riter again. There were no Errors
    Starting at Grand Junction the route crashed.
    I had distant mountains set on 50.
    I turned off distant mountains and it worked.

Next I tried various settings for distant mountains. I found that the route would crash if distant mountains were set higher than 42.

Apparently the problem is related to the distant mountain settings.

Basil
    Interesting... I'll have to try that when I'm done on my current run on the Monon.

Also Vince: Would love to run it through RR, however I don't have MSTS installed anymore. Haven't had it for a long time, just the default routes for routes that need the shapes. And from what I remember at least, RR needs some file or other from the MSTS directory doesn't it?

Edit: yep, CONFIRMED, DM issue. Backed the DM down from 1K to 35, and we're runnin'!
    Last edited by Komachi; 01-12-2015 at 02:25 PM.