Thread: That old MSTS

Default That old MSTS

Hello, hope everyone is enjoying the holidays.

Winter is here and my train simming urge is back. I mostly use Trainz but miss running in MSTS. As I understand it, ORTS doesn't need MSTS to run, just the content if a route or piece of equipment calls for it. I really don't want to install MSTS since I have no use for the editors, never could get the hang of them. So two questions.

I have Sandpatch from MLT, does anyone know if I will need MSTS files to run it?

I also heard of mini routes, do these have all necessary files needed to run a route? If so, any information on which ones may work in ORTS would be appreciated.

Been away for a while and ORTS does look promising. Hat is off to the folks working on it. Any help you guys may have would be appreciated. I'm now off to read about ORTS.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity.

Hi Dave,

Quote Originally Posted by sparky15 View Post
    I also heard of mini routes, do these have all necessary files needed to run a route? If so, any information on which ones may work in ORTS would be appreciated.
    If you like UK-based routes, then Mid East Plus (MEP) is very good, very detailed, very large and everything is provided in a mini-route.

Hope that helps,
    Chris Jakeman

Quote Originally Posted by sparky15 View Post
    I have Sandpatch from MLT, does anyone know if I will need MSTS files to run it?
    This was just covered on here not too long ago. Try here this should get you the answers you need.

If you feel competent looking thru batch files, look to see if there are any files being copied from the default routes USA1, USA2, etc. and that will tell you how much a particular route relies on default content.

One of the many benefits about using ORTS is it will run a route that is missing shapefiles and/or textures without throwing up countless error boxes like MSTS does... It simply logs them into the logfile dropped onto your desktop.

Case and point: one of the OR developers was looking into a bug report with one of my routes, installed it but didn't install Scalerail. He was still able to run the route and debug without any issues other than the track not appearing...

Thank you for your help

Sandpatch is a route that does require a full MSTS install to run as it uses some of the default (Kuju) track shapes and also some other shapes from the Global folder.
    Charles

Thank you, Charles.

I just hope my old MSTS discs still work. Been a few years and last time loading it had a hard time.

Thanks again

If you have a backup of your MSTS installation on CD or a backup drive, you can also copy over the GLOBAL directory from those without having to do a full install.

I'm a Mac guy. I was running boot camp for Trainz and MSTS. Once Trainz released the Mac version I deleted the boot camp install. I liked MSTS but it drove me crazy so let it go. ORTS brought out new interest.

I'll set up another boot camp install and see how it goes with my discs.

Thanks again.

Check out Steam 4 Me site (http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/). My MSTS program CDs V 1.0 dated 2001 and loaded via Win 7.