Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Rails FPS

Default Open Rails FPS

Thought it was time I checked out Open Rails.
    It sure runs smoothly ! FPS, great !

LOL - you'll never be happy with MSTS again...

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    LOL - you'll never be happy with MSTS again...
    Heh, I'm sure I won't! The only reason I even use MSTS anymore is for this YouTube series I'm part of. Since it's a race series and the host can't run OR too well and derailments are required, I'm stuck with MSTS for those races. Any other time, though, I'll use OR. OR is MSTS for the modern times.

Ross,
    You are definitely Frame Rate greedy.
    Send some my way.

Geoff.

Frame rates are great, but if only we didn't have to use Diesel Power Updater and alternate smoke textures to get rid of the black smoke balloons in Open Rails, it would be truly MSTS compatible.
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

Quote Originally Posted by ftldave View Post
    Frame rates are great, but if only we didn't have to use Diesel Power Updater and alternate smoke textures to get rid of the black smoke balloons in Open Rails, it would be truly MSTS compatible.
    The problem with the smoke balloons in some, but by far not all locos, is partially in the ENG files and MSTS, not in ORTS. MSTS had limits to the values it accepted for the smoke parameters, so when you wanted the real maximum of smoke, you just specified some ridiculously high values, and MSTS would take the maximum it was programmed to. ORTS does not have this limits, because they a) are not known, and b) would limit flexibility of what can be done.

Exactly those two things are, why I even started to develop DPU

Cheers, Markus

Trains. Trains? Trains! =)
    I usually hang out at www.elvastower.com (markus_GE).
    Also take a look at my homepage: http://mgelbmann.jimdo.com/

Another issue that I found that will affect framerates is using two graphics cards in SLI or Crossfire. I was using the SLI configuration and noticed a reduction in my FPS along with some stuttering. I went one graphics card and the FPS went up very well with very little stuttering. Might be something to consider. ORTS doesn't appear to be optimized for these configuration.

I am up over 200 fps.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by markus1996 View Post
    ORTS does not have this limits, because they a) are not known, and b) would limit flexibility of what can be done.
    I understand the problem, and DPU is a nice utility, though I've had my share of problems, i.e. it often not creating backups as expected. Your post makes it clear that ORTS can't be fully MSTS compatible, no fault of the developers, though that was one of the project's goals. And with so many locomotives from the best developers, like BLW/ZT and others, having to be adjusted, I have to wonder if the smoke-balloon diesel exhaust problem is only caused by "ridiculously high values" ... or is it? I have to had to change textures and exhaust values on almost every diesel locomotive I've wanted to run in ORTS. Now and then would be acceptable, but having to do it over and over again is a disappointment. I wish ORTS could display diesel smoke exhaust like MSTS does. But, hey, the frame rates are great!
    Last edited by ftldave; 03-01-2015 at 12:29 PM. Reason: correct txt
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

Please understand that the current version of DPU is still an in development version, that has its share of bugs. I have a list of what to fix, and am slowly in the process of doing so, but work is progressing at a much slower pace that I wish it did (since Im out of school and in a full-time job, the time I can actively spend on programming has reduced quite a bit).

As for the values, the same applies as to the MSTS forest block tree spreading algorithm: It is not known, in which exact way MSTS calculated the smoke output, so it is hard to match it, too.

Also, just for clarity, full compatibility does not mean every finest detail works exactly as in the predecessor prog. That would seriously limit space for progress, and e.g. the feature of more smoke on throttle would also not be allowed then. Its a "game" of determining how much work one wants to put into something to get reasonable results, or put another way, at which results will one say, Im fed up with experimenting.

But after all, with all the tweaking going on in this hobby, IMHO, thats what our hobby is about, in a way

Cheers, Markus

Trains. Trains? Trains! =)
    I usually hang out at www.elvastower.com (markus_GE).
    Also take a look at my homepage: http://mgelbmann.jimdo.com/