Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOW to set up OR timetable

Default HOW to set up OR timetable

Hi everyone,

I have been playing around with my model for a while now in OR (originally had the activity set up in MSTS), and I came across the timetable mode in OR.

My goal is to set up AI trains around the player activity, however there are a lot of AI trains to set up my entire day.

I found the manual for the OR timetables, however when the timetable starts, the train does not run by itself as an AI but rather require the user to drive it.

I need some advice on how to set up the OR timetable for some train sets.

This is what my timetable_or file looks like at the moment with just one train, however I would like to include more trains on this list, specifically the AI. The timetable below starts, but does not drive by itself on that path.

,#comment,T150
    #comment,TEST,
    #path,,T150.pat
    #consist,,MPI-L12.con
    #start,,7:02

Can I add more trains to it ? perhaps some timetable times as well ? I was thinking something like the code below for the timetable.

,#comment,T150
    #comment,TEST,
    #path,,T150.pat
    #consist,,MPI-L12.con
    #start,,7:02
    ,#comment,T152
    #comment,TEST,
    #path,,T152.pat
    #consist,,MPI-L12.con
    #start,,7:05

Any help with this task would be greatly appreciated.

There is a writeup in the Manual.PDF found in the **\Documentation folder. (**= your OR installed path)

Timetable Mode starts in Chapter 11 on page 124 but the meat you want can be found on page 127.

enjoy!
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Timetable mode is not the same as an activity. In timetable mode, any train can be used by the player, so if you set up a 24 hour timetable, you can jump in on any train at any time in the 24 hours.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Many thanks for the helps guys, I will be working on this over the weekend to set up my timetable. Just a few more questions...

Quote Originally Posted by baldwin View Post
    Timetable mode is not the same as an activity. In timetable mode, any train can be used by the player, so if you set up a 24 hour timetable, you can jump in on any train at any time in the 24 hours.
    Would jumping be done through Alt + 9 in OR ? I have not had any luck setting up more than one train in OR timetable mode so I was the only train in the simulation. I will have to use the suggestion in setting it up and then try it out.

Say I have 10 trains, and I jump to train 1, would the other 9 run as AI trains following the timetable setup in the timetable file ? That is what I am after.

Not sure if the timetable can set up times for each trip for each station perhaps ? or just a #start time i guess for the entire service.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    There is a writeup in the Manual.PDF found in the **\Documentation folder. (**= your OR installed path)

Timetable Mode starts in Chapter 11 on page 124 but the meat you want can be found on page 127.

enjoy!
    Thank you Vince, I will read more into it and post progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

enjoy!
    I can not find a manual.pdf in my install or documentations folder. Perhaps there must be a different link ?

This the guide I have been following:
    http://www.openrails.coalstonewcastl...le_of_contents

The ability to change trains midstream is not yet available. All you do in timetable mode is select which train you want as the player and all the rest run as AI. If you go to http://openrails.org/download/program/ and download the Supporters version this includes an fairly up to date manual which includes a section on programming timetable mode.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Quote Originally Posted by forevergone View Post
    Say I have 10 trains, and I jump to train 1, would the other 9 run as AI trains following the timetable setup in the timetable file ? That is what I am after.
    On start in the menu, you select the train you want to run as player. All other trains will run as AI - even those that have started and terminated before the player train starts, will be run (in pre-run mode), as this may affect what happens later.

A timetable run always starts with the first train that moves, regardless of the start time of the player train. Up to the start of the player train, the trains are run in 'pre-run' mode, which is a speeded-up run, so to speak, without graphics, but with everything (trains, signals, station stops etc.) working as usual, but at a much lower interval-rate. Because of this pre-run process, the time it takes to start a timetable run will vary, and the later the start-time of the player train, the longer the start-up will take. On very intensive timetables on large routes it can take several minutes.

Not sure if the timetable can set up times for each trip for each station perhaps ? or just a #start time i guess for the entire service.
    Each train has its own start-time, and each train can detail as many station stops as required (except that you cannot have two stops at one station for a single train).
    As mentioned above, the start-time of the pre-run process is always the start-time of the earliest train.
    The start of the graphics - comparible to the start of an activity - is the start-time of the selected player train.
    But note : if the player train is 'formed' out of another train (for instance, it is the return working of another train as detailed in the timetable), and that other train is running late, the start of the player train is delayed until that first train has arrived.
    Clearly that makes sense : you cannot run a return train if the incoming train has not yet arrived.

Regards,
    Rob Roeterdink

Quote Originally Posted by roeter View Post
    Each train has its own start-time, and each train can detail as many station stops as required (except that you cannot have two stops at one station for a single train).
    This is where I think there may be a subtle naming convention issue. The timetable stop is based on a platform name, not the station name, correct?

If you use define unique names for each platform, you should be able to have two stops at one station. In my first attempt on testing, I defined unique platform names based on the track they were serving.

I'd have to fall things back to test this, but in theory, if I build a path that leaves Chicago-T1 out to Harvard-T1, leaves thru a switch and reverse point, returning to Harvard-T2 and Chicago-T9, technically, I've had the train stop twice at both Harvard and Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    This is where I think there may be a subtle naming convention issue. The timetable stop is based on a platform name, not the station name, correct?
    No - the timetable stop is based on the station name. This needs to be that way, otherwise the 'connect' command would not be possible - if the platform name was used, there would be no common ident, so trains in different platforms would not 'know' they are in the same station.

For complex stations, it may be required to have different station names for different platforms or part of platforms. This is particularly the case in stations with long platforms which is split by a cross-over, at such stations the two platform 'halves' can be used separately for short trains, but long trains use the full platform. To make sure trains stop in the right part of the platform, two different stations are required.

Regards,
    Rob Roeterdink

Ah, hadn't considered that. I don't use the connect function, so it hadn't come up in my testing.