Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conquering Saluda in OpenRails

Question Conquering Saluda in OpenRails

Disclaimer** Im no rivet counter or real world engineer. I am however curious if OpenRails can closely replicate the Saluda video many of you have seen on youtube. I created the consist in the video as closely as possible, only substituting SD40-2s for SD45s.

I ran the same exact amount of cars mentioned in the video and synced the Saluda videos audio to my video to translate the real world to game world applications. Im not claiming to have done everything right but am curious to your reactions and if anyone else has ran as true as possible in the Saluda video to see if they could match real world to OpenRails.

To my disappointment I could not. Probably my own fault. Thats why I supplied the video so when you get bored you can watch it and have fun pointing out my mistakes. Im just curious to if others have ran Saluda prototypical and maybe I can learn a thing or two while Im at it. Anyway heres the video link. This forum doesnt display youtube videos right in my browser. Probably a problem on my end.

Options that are turned on in OR:

Graduated Release Air Brakes
    Break Couplers
    Curve Dependent Resistance
    Curve Dependent Speed Limit
    Tunnel Dependent Resistance
    Advanced Adhesion set to 10
    Adhesion factor is set to Hard 10%
    Adhesion proportional to rain/snow ect is checked.
    Adhesion Factor correction is set to %130

I would like to also point out that I tried to set 40 head end cars to high pressure position and still lost control. No video of that though
    Last edited by Snowman; 01-22-2015 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    This forum doesnt display youtube videos right in my browser. Probably a problem on my end.
    You need to remove the 's' in "https" in order to display, then use the forum options to link to the unsecured video.

3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature

Hi Dan,

Nice job on the video... First thing that comes to mind - are the locomotives and cars setup for ORTS ? There are a bunch of custom values that can be added to modify the performance in ORTS... I know ORTS uses the Davis Friction Coefficients from FCALC - where I don't think MSTS does - from my limited experimentation - adding the ORTS friction parameters makes the cars have more drag which might make your train easier to handle...

My next thought - how would MSTS handle the same scenario ?

Snowman:
    For the Route I assume you are referring to these files in library saluda.zip and saludort.zip.
    Activity and consist info would help.
    Would like to try.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Watch the video...your consist questions are answered there..
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!

Quote Originally Posted by frankoburns View Post
    Watch the video...your consist questions are answered there..
    Got it frank..., also had not downloaded route yet (gee, how did I miss this one, looks good) and it seems everything is also explained in the docs that come with the route.
    I do read those, always have. Don't have a panic attach, there are some of us who do.
    Anyway, Thanks.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

I already had the route installed, but hadn't run it since it's initial release..It's well done...I duplicated the consist and power arrangements using some SP SD45's I had on hand..(I have very little Southern and NS power)..Ran the "activity" mentioned in the video under MSTS and found because of the braking limitations of the sim, it's almost impossible to duplicate the run prototypically using the same equipment..however, the run was far from unsafe..I was able to maintain train speed of under 20 mph on the downhill side (prototype mandates 8 mph) using full dynamics and intermitant train brake applications..MSTS limitations don't allow you to keep a reserve supply while recharging the brakes and the cars don't have a reserve valve that can be manually changed...but all in all, it was a fun ride down the mountain with a really heavy train! Plan to try it in Open Rails after supper..I'll let ya know how that run turns out..Watch your speed after milepost 30 (8 MPH max) or be ready to change the safety switch....otherwise you'll end up on the run-away safety track! Yippee!!
    Last edited by frankoburns; 01-22-2015 at 08:16 PM.

Didn't see mention of retainers.

On the prototype, retainers on the 20 cars behind the engines were set to the "high pressure position"..something else you can't do in the sim.(as you probably already know, Chris, it allows you to keep the brake on while recharging the system) .its in the prototype video..I'm not an engineer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IABM8UPplY
    Last edited by frankoburns; 01-22-2015 at 10:49 PM.

Retainers: MSTS no. Open Rails yes?
    Last edited by Vince; 01-22-2015 at 11:41 PM.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"