Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Conquering Saluda in OpenRails

Quote Originally Posted by markus1996 View Post
    AFAIK, the latest revisions to the braking system also allow for retainers set on a per-car basis via the train operations window.

Cheers, Markus
    I see where to close bleed valve and angle cocks but no retainers. Not saying it isnt there but Im not seeing it in version X2811

Another problem may be the dynamic brake values in the .eng files. All Southern and NS locomotives had "tapered" dynamic brakes, as opposed to the "flat" brakes that many roads used. The Southern brakes could maintain maximum braking force down to 4 or 5 mph, whereas the flat brake began losing braking force at 25 mph. Southern engines also had a "Saluda Mtn" switch which would hold t0he dynamic brakes on if the train went into emergency. This was controlled with a key that only the RFE had.

Dick Kimball

Quote Originally Posted by rlkimbal View Post
    g force at 25 mph. Southern engines also had a "Saluda Mtn" switch which would hold t0he dynamic brakes on if the train went into emergency. This was controlled with a key that only the RFE had.

Dick Kimball
    They mention the key in the video but this isnt really an issue as dynamics dont cut out if you go into emergency in OR? If that is the case then once again is this something that isnt prototypical in OR? That is, when you go into emergency, typically or by default the dynamics should cut out?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    They mention the key in the video but this isnt really an issue as dynamics dont cut out if you go into emergency in OR? If that is the case then once again is this something that isnt prototypical in OR? That is, when you go into emergency, typically or by default the dynamics should cut out?
    This feature was unique to Southern and only was operational on Saluda when the RFE activated it. O.therwise these locomotives dropped power or dynamic brake whenever the train went into emergency.

Dick Kimball

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I see where to close bleed valve and angle cocks but no retainers. Not saying it isnt there but Im not seeing it in version X2811
    You are right - it looks like the retainers are now only set by the Shift+] and Shift+[ commands. The current versions only allow for 25%, 50% or 100% of the cars to have their BC set to LP (lowpressure ) or HP (highpressure). Look at the F5 Brake display - the data appears as a column of "RV EX" for Retainer Valve-Exhaust, "RV LP" for Retainer valve low pressure, etc.
    If the .wag files do not have the retainer valve defined in the BrakeEquipmentType ( ".., Retainer_4_position, " , then you have to check the option "Retainer Valve on All Cars" on the General options.

Also, if you use "Initialize Brakes" command, it seems to clear all the retainers.

Cheers,
    Sid P.

Quote Originally Posted by sidp View Post
    You are right - it looks like the retainers are now only set by the Shift+] and Shift+[ commands. The current versions only allow for 25%, 50% or 100% of the cars to have their BC set to LP (lowpressure ) or HP (highpressure). Look at the F5 Brake display - the data appears as a column of "RV EX" for Retainer Valve-Exhaust, "RV LP" for Retainer valve low pressure, etc.
    If the .wag files do not have the retainer valve defined in the BrakeEquipmentType ( ".., Retainer_4_position, " , then you have to check the option "Retainer Valve on All Cars" on the General options.

Also, if you use "Initialize Brakes" command, it seems to clear all the retainers.

Cheers,
    I as well noticed that initialize the brakes it clears the retainers because I didnt want to wait for brakes every time I wanted to test my train over Saluda. This was solved by saving the game after recharging

All this brings me back to earlier points of OpenRails not allowing each car in a consist to have their brake controls, controlled independently. As a personal gripe and I wonder if anyone else ponders the same, but the "train operations window" or F9 doesnt feel right to me. Id rather click on a cars coupler and have the menu come up that way, so for one I know which car Im working with without having to know the car number. Taking a wild guess Id say this isnt possible due to the coupler being a modeled part and theres no universal way to define what part of a model is a coupler. Run8 has this feature and it works great.

It feels sometimes, especially going over Saluda, I spend too much time going through various menu screens and not enough actual interaction with the train. Just a personal gripe. Im just happy the ability is there to begin with.