Thread: DPU 3.0 not working in W7 64bit?

Default DPU 3.0 not working in W7 64bit?

I drag the .eng file I wanted into DPU 3.0, select what I wanted(which is the Default ALCO, much Smoke) setting, and hit enter, and it only stares at me with 'Loading .ENG file...', same for if I just drag the .eng into the individual .bat itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Komachi View Post
    I drag the .eng file I wanted into DPU 3.0, select what I wanted(which is the Default ALCO, much Smoke) setting, and hit enter, and it only stares at me with 'Loading .ENG file...', same for if I just drag the .eng into the individual .bat itself.
    What is DPU 3.0 ?

Hi Komachi,

are you getting any more print-outs in the DOS-box window? Anything that says whatīs going on?

Or is DPU Vx3 just locking up?

Cheers, Markus

Trains. Trains? Trains! =)
    I usually hang out at www.elvastower.com (markus_GE).
    Also take a look at my homepage: http://mgelbmann.jimdo.com/

HI guys, sorry this took so long to get back to you on! No, I get nothing else. All I get is after selecting the smoke style I want, it goes 'START: *Time* ================================================== ======

Loading .ENG file...'

and that is -all- it does.

Thanks for answering my question !

DPU.jpg

Thatīs really strange.

What I can say with almost 100% certainty is itīs not about W7 64-bit, as DPU was not only tested, but developed on exactly that OS.

Thus, it must be something in either the ENG file, or DPU itself.

Could you please answer the below questions, that may help me find out whatīs wrong?

Would you mind posting a screenshot of what you last see when DPU locks up?
    How long have you waited before terminating DPU when you think it locks up?
    What is the file size of your ENG (the larger the file the longer it takes to load, and I have also had DPU lock up on extremely large files)?
    Have you changed anything in the data profiles?
    Does the last-changed-stamp (sorry, donīt know the proper English name, since Iīm not a native speaker) of the ENG file change after running it through DPU (even if it crashes)?

@ Otto: Sorry for not answering your question. I must have simply overlooked it. Iīm sorry.

Cheers, Markus

Hi Markus !

Don't know why I did not Google for an answer, I usually always do ?

Re. the date of last updated / changed files. In the Windows Explorer I have set its Folder Options to show this below:

You might want to try the method I use with Windows 8.1.

I highlight (left mouse click) the .eng file I want to mod and right click the mouse on it. I then select "Open With" and then select "Choose Default Program". MAKE SURE YOU UN-CHECK the box for "Use This App for All .Eng Files".

The first time, you will have to select "More Options" and locate the DPU.exe, then select it. It should run the DPU program as advertised. From then on, DPU should be one of the options in "Open With" "Choose Default Program". Works like a charm for me.

Hope you can understand my explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Komachi View Post
    DPU 3.0 works fine on my rig running WIN7 64 bit pro, always has, drag and drop eng files onto either DPU,exe or DPUmult.exe and it goes to work after selecting correct option.

Just asking, you probably performed this step prior to using?

"3) This is the most important step: In you newly created instalation folder of DPU, find the subfolder "prgmdata". Inside this folder find the file "DPU.ini". Open this file in an ASCII text editor (such as default Microsoft Editor) and follow the instruction shown therein. Save the changes to this file!"
    Last edited by R. Steele; 03-03-2015 at 02:47 PM. Reason: spelling
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Another thing has come to my mind, trying to replicate your bug: Does the name of the .ENG file contain any special characters, and are you using DPU via one of the .BAT shortcuts? The latter will choke on special characters like & or ! in a file name passed to it.

Cheers, Markus