Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else sick of high ink prices?

Default Anyone else sick of high ink prices?

I do not know about anyone else here? But I am sick and tired of the high cost of ink for desk jet printers these days. I am of the type that must print out all the documentation with the various MSTS utilities, So I have a actual book to look at. But the high cost of ink these days makes doing this extremely expensive. I have a old HP D1320 printer and several Canon printers and the ink for all of them is sky freakin high these days.

Anyone also have the need of regular printing of MSTS related documents? If so, How do you afford all the ink to do so? I mean is there a certain type of printer that is better for this task?

Robert

Two words: generic refills.
    3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    Two words: generic refills.
    Most definitely, Marc.
    I pay half the full price of Canon refills by purchasing through an on-line refill business and have never had a problem in over six years.

Also, when one buys generic one is thumbing their nose at the manufacturers, who sell their hardware cheaply and then attempt to make a fortune by marking up their cartridges to stratospheric heights.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I bought a laser printer instead.
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by derekmorton View Post
    I bought a laser printer instead.
    And the best of British luck to you, Derek, in keeping your supply of coloured powder going without having to rob a bank!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Lemme see....

$60 for ink that lasts 2 weeks, or $90 for a laser cartridge that lasts 2 years.... Hmmm......

To cut down on hard copy printing, I copy big documentation files to my Android tablet instead of printing. That works okay most of the time. But, Android and its PDF readers are not equal to Windows/Mac by a long shot. Some PDF files that work fine on my desktop pc's refuse to open on my tablet, no matter what, even after resaving them as older PDF versions.

Inkjets are for occasional printing, not volume printing. Laser printers have never been less expensive.
    Last edited by ftldave; 04-30-2015 at 08:09 AM. Reason: add txt
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Lemme see....

$60 for ink that lasts 2 weeks, or $90 for a laser cartridge that lasts 2 years.... Hmmm......
    Thats what I have... Canon LaserJet... Saves me a bunch of money on cartridges.. I get mine every 2-3 years depending on how often I print.... Those ink printers are a pain in the arse, they leave a splotch mess, leaving clogs, collecting dust and dirt and makes it worst.. Switch to a laser printer.. Expensive, yes, it gets so much better in the long run..
    Dave Edwards

I have an epson printer and i use compatible cartridges where i can buy 4 sets of 3colour + 1 black (16 cartridges) for the price of one single Epson cartridge, have been doing that for 10 years and have never had a problem.

Intel i5 2400, Mobo ASUS P8H67, Win 7 Prof 64bit, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX960 4GB, SB Audigy, 6.25TB HDD's.

Does anyone have a link for these sites with the cartridges? Specifically looking for generic cartridges for a HP D1320. I suppose any of the cartridges for the HP D1300 series are inter changeable. The laser printers are interesting but will have to wait for a little bit.

Robert