Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missin terrain in New L&PS

Default Missin terrain in New L&PS

I have some missing terrain in the New London & Port Stanly route. The coordinates are given below. I though it may be a download issue but it only corrected in MSTS with a subsequent new download.
    Could it be something that OR is reading incorrectly or cannot read? It is the only place there is a problem, and no prominent errors. When I run a "Test" it comes back clean with no problems, same with RR.

I have downloaded the route again and installed in one of my add-on drives, this time no missing terrain in MSTS. I haven't had a chance to check it in OR yet.

It looks like something missed the ticket on my initial download. I will post the coordinates as soon as I can.

Thank you for any information.

************************************************** ************************************************** *******

Edit: The terrain now works in MSTS but in OR it is still missing. Something OR cannot process maybe. There is nothing I can see in the OR error report. I will submit that over at ET and see if they can shed some light on this anomaly.

The coordinates are: 35' -- Lat 42.828200 by Lon -81.183250

Can you please post a link to the web site you have downloaded it from ?

There is one in the T-S library but it is 4 years old. Not sure what he means by New L&PS.
    Charles

Observe the Compass Co-ordinates which do not match !

Here is the screenshot with the compass:

Transfer patches not displaying?
    That doesn't look like tiles missing to me. I'd have to look at the location in the RE to be sure.

And yes, the MSTS compass coordinates are known to be incorrect. Thats why there are 5 miles missing between Philly and Wilmington on the NEC.
    Last edited by Vince; 02-06-2015 at 02:23 AM.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Its a problem with terrain transparency - the feature used to make tunnel portals etc. I am not sure if it is a file problem, or if OpenRails is interpreting the file wrong. Either way, I posted a fix yesterday that I believe works ...

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...27#post1862827

Observe the Compass Co-ordinates which do not match !

Otto,
    Its a well know and long standing minor discrepancy between MSTS and OpenRails coordinates. It's not an issue because OR doesn't have a RE, so exact coordinate location doesn't really matter as long as OpenRails is internally consistent.
    chris
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Quote Originally Posted by longiron View Post
    Its a well know and long standing minor discrepancy between MSTS and OpenRails coordinates. It's not an issue because OR doesn't have a RE, so exact coordinate location doesn't really matter as long as OpenRails is internally consistent.
    It matters when one tries to find the same compass coordinates where ORTS is having a problem in the MSTS Route Editor !

This patch showing missing terrain textures in ORTS is not a "transparency" and the MSTS tiles there are using standard Terrain textures !

Perhaps I will try one more time. I am the author of the L&PS route, and also a primary author of the Open Rails program. I have been able to replicate the OP's problem report. I can say with certainty this has to do with a little known feature of the route editor where terrain can be made invisible with the V key. This feature is used for creating transparent areas in the terrain for forming tunnel portals. The effect of the V key is to create special 'visibility' files in the route's TILES folder. These files have a name ending with _f.raw. They contain the data that describes what part of the terrain should be 'invisible' Through some error, some copies of Version 3 of the L&PS route have _f.raw files that are corrupt or incorrect. They can be fixed in the route editor as I described in the post that everyone is ignoring. Or possibly simpler, is to go into the TILES folder and delete the five files with names that end in _f.raw file. Since the L&PS doesn't use any tunnel portals, these files are not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by wacampbell View Post
    Its a problem with terrain transparency - the feature used to make tunnel portals etc. I am not sure if it is a file problem, or if OpenRails is interpreting the file wrong. Either way, I posted a fix yesterday that I believe works ...

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...27#post1862827
    Last edited by wacampbell; 02-06-2015 at 08:19 PM.