Thread: Open Rails Problems

Default Open Rails Problems

Hello,

I just got a Raildriver and OpenRails and I am having some problems. I have installed MSTS and calibrated the raildriver and they both work as smoothly as I could ask them to

1. There is a folder for GE Genesis Locomotives in the MSTS directory but I cannot access them. I am a rather big fan of those and would like them to work.

2. The Acela Express and any HHP8 with a consist will not move. The HHP8 will work lite but that is it. The brake cylinder pressure just won't drop and they just won't move. I have tried many things to try and remedy this to no avail.

Any other tips are reccomended. Thank you!

What version number of OR are you using? The number appears in the upper right corner of the opening window.
    Does everything run OK with the Raildriver inactive? That is, can you run OR in regular mode with keyboard and mouse?

Cheers,
    Sid.
    Sid P.

I assume you've put the pantagraph up? Sorry if that's an obvious question, but it was my first mistake.
    And I assume you have first made a consist with the genesis unit? Locomotives won't appear if not in a consist. (Again, sorry if that goes without saying, but I remember asking that question myself once).
    Lastly, does raildriver work in open rails with other locomotives? Is the problem confined to the electric locomotives only? You have turned it on, right, using the appropriate button on the left of the rows of buttons? (again, I speak from experience . . . _). Also it matters with open rails if you turn it on before the program loads or after (and I forget now which is correct, but there are specific instructions for using open rails with raildriver in the open rails manual. Might be worth a read)
    Christopher

If I recall correctly, the Genesis locomotives out of the box with MSTS were not drivable and used only for traffic in activities. There are some drivable models in the file library and some good payware available as well.

Basil

Correct about the original Genesis locos - AI only. Some f/l items can make them driveable, but they're still crummy models.

Also in the f/l there are Genesis models from NALW, covering most of the variants (there were several, including 4K and 4.2K hp versions; Amtrak and VIA; and dual-power versions for Amtrak, CDOT, and MN), that are pretty good - though you might want to think about replacing cabviews with some of the photo-realistic ones in the f/l. There are a number of reskins and updates. Search terms "Genesis" and "NALW" together bring up the collection. Basic files are gen_pak1 thru 4.

Payware models from 3dTrains and SLI (I think) are even better-looking; whether they work better I don't know first-hand.

I wouldn't get worried about some cabview animations not working properly in ORTS. As long as the controls work right you can still drive the train even if the brake levers, for instance, don't move (as is the case in several otherwise very good models). I've come to expect cabview glitches in ORTS, especially with older models (that work fine in MSTS) where there's no realistic chance of an update at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    Also it matters with open rails if you turn it on before the program loads or after (and I forget now which is correct, but there are specific instructions for using open rails with raildriver in the open rails manual. Might be worth a read)
    Christopher
    AMTK822401 as Christopher said:
    After OR loads and screen shows route/activity/ or explore you then press the bottom left hand blue button >> RailDriver Run/Stop key
    Not pressing this key defaults to keyboard, you should try the keyboard first to make sure everything runs without the Raildriver interface.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.