Thread: MSTS Bin 1.7 and 1.8 Rich text edit control error

Default MSTS Bin 1.7 and 1.8 Rich text edit control error

Hey guys recently I have been having this error:

msts bin error 2.jpgmsts bin error 1.jpg

I have run MSTS on this computer before and had it run perfectly with no problems.
    Here are my specs:

Windows xp service pack 3
    pentium 4 D 2.8 GHz
    2.5 GB RAM
    80 Hitachi Hard Drive
    Intel 915 Graphics

The install disks are of the original MSTS 1.0 release
    it updates to 1.4 with no problem:

msts bin error 4.jpgmsts bin error 3.jpg

The game runs perfectly without the bin patch but I want to install extra engines, stock, and routes for which i need msts bin.

Any Ideas?

I see that MSTS is installed in the Program Files directory. From Windows Vista onward, this causes problems. It's best if you uninstall MSTS now (before you have too much time put into it) and then re-install according to these instructions:
    http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/i...g_msts_w7.html

It will keep you out of an endless run of headaches...

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

Quote Originally Posted by EricF View Post
    I see that MSTS is installed in the Program Files directory. From Windows Vista onward, this causes problems. It's best if you uninstall MSTS now (before you have too much time put into it) and then re-install according to these instructions:
    http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/i...g_msts_w7.html

It will keep you out of an endless run of headaches...
    Look again at his computer specs, he is using XP..

The problem may be with your word processor program. Have you tried to create a ne document with it? Have you tried to open rtf [rich text format ] files from other programs?

John

Dangit... eyes are getting bad...

But a little searching once I had a few minutes this evening did turn up something interesting. The error is getting thrown by SetupBuilder, and apparently according to a forum entry it can be because a .DLL isn't registered correctly. It's apparently looking for "RICHED32.DLL", which should be a Windows XP system file.

I don't really recommend searching for, downloading and attempting to install a "replacement" file... yes, they're out there and so is a lot of bad stuff waiting to piggyback itself on. Instead, Windows has a repair utility built-in. Have your Windows XP CD handy and run "sfc -scannow" from the command line. The built-in System File Checker will do an integrity check and copy from the CD as needed. That may be enough to put it right again.

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

All right I looked at the RICHED32.DLL and found it was part of one of MS .net DX installs. Seems it was corrupted so I just uninstalled those programs and reinstalled them and it works great.