Thread: Shape Viewing

Default Shape Viewing

It looks like Spring has finally come to Ontario, and the time for a question about viewing shapes in a route.

Is there a way to view ALL shapes in an album of some sort for each route individually? What I am asking is for the ability to open, in an album format, all the shape files at one time contained within a route, with associated .ace files.

I know that one can put them all into such a format individually, but is there a program that will do this? That will produce a page with at least large thumbnails to view all the shape files within each route.

I don't know about Spring in Ontario yet Don. Have you looked out the window this morning?

As for shape viewing, I think it would be a strain on any software and computer to load multiple .S of a route as a catalog of items? Thinking of the time it takes just to open SFM on routes with large amounts of objects. But a good question would be for something like Sview or Route Riter is if a selected chunk of .S can be opened simultaneously? IE; to select say Tree1.S and hold CTRL while selecting Tree9.S and have that group all open with Sview or something? Would take a moment I'm sure, but could be handy as a desktop rolodex when route building.

I've done it... I wrote a C# project that could click on the filelist in Shape Viewer, capture a screenshot to a specific folder, and then move on to the next shape in the list.

The only time I've browsed thru that folder was when I made the catalog. Since then, both the source code and the folder have just taken up space on my hard drive.

Never took it any further because of that.

Those are both good answers and what I was looking for.

I thought that because Photos of various sizes can be kept using a minimum size in folders, there could be a way of putting the shape files as photos, of sorts, into a folder as well. I was thinking about this because I lose track of what shapes are in what route, and the looking through all those routes is very time consuming. Is there a way of making thumbnails and sending them to a file with a minimum of effort? Something of a program that would easily convert the .s files to a .jpg or .bmp file? Route Riter has a couple of options to "View .s File", "Show selected pictures" etc. Can any of these be sent to another editor to make them a .jpg or .bmp as a group?

While on a similar subject, can the "Shapes" file be compared to the "Ref" file to find any duplicates?

Route Riter makes rollingstock thumbnails - will it do route shapes too? I would think so. It won't arrange them in an album, but it's quicker to look at a thumbnail in a folder (or in the preview pane in windows explorer) than to open shape viewr.
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    it's quicker to look at a thumbnail in a folder (or in the preview pane in windows explorer) than to open shape viewr.
    True about the speed, but where I question the usefulness is that you only get a one dimensional view of the object with the screenshots.

I'll see if I can get the code for my last experiment packaged and documented.

Even a singular view would be good to identify what the object is. Some have the strangest file names that do not define what the object actually is.

I now have most items grouped as "Stations", "Houses", "Vegetation" etc. which makes it a little easier to find them, but being able to call up pictures of the objects would make it a lot easier to select them for a specific area.

That package could be what is needed, thank you.

It's a bit clunky, but here's a link to the installer...

http://www.adrive.com/public/vfNT9u/ShapeSnapshot.zip

To use it, you have to figure out the screen locations of where you want the program to click.

In the upper left, you'll see your mouse coordinates, and it will refresh every couple of seconds. With Shapeviewer, I'll hover over the top filename in the list, enter those coords into the first box-pair, and set it for a double-click. On the second box-pair, I'll enter in the coords for the scroll-down arrow for the listbox.

Set up a pause interval (to allow time for the the shape to load), and then click "Capture" to get things started... There is a stop button, but it may or may not work right away, or at all.

There are three issues that I never got around to resolving...

1) The last couple items won't be captured automatically, because the scroll-down eventually stops with X names at the bottom of the list. You'll need to do those screenshots yourself.

2) The screenshot filenames are sequential, and have nothing to do with the shapefile name. I never got that to work reliably, but the shape's name is displayed at the top of the Shapeviewer app, so you'll have it when you view the screenshots. It's easy enough to rename the screenshot filenames if you want to.

3) After the program thinks it has taken the same screenshot three times (based on the filesize), it should stop on its own. Since this was just an experiment, there are no guarantees. Same thing with the Stop button. It might work. And it might not.

Use at your own peril.
    Last edited by eolesen; 04-06-2015 at 09:58 AM.