Thread: removing static locos

Default removing static locos

Hi Otto
    Seeing I had such a great result removing static locos from a route,
    after your your expert advice, leads to a second question.
    How do I go about replacing other static locos or rolling stock where they were.
    Cheers Ross

Quote Originally Posted by rosssweet View Post
    Thank you so much for that information Otto.
    A little tricky, but got there.

The TPRS-ELECTRIC.ref was named TPRS-ELECTRIC.noedit
    The route editor didn't want to open.

Your turn now Rick !
    Cheers Ross

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    In that case their location can be identified with the 0 - Zero drop-down compass co-ordinates window while in Play mode and then locate it in the Route Editor and delete it !

Hi Rick,
    separate question, I also have no skill with the route editor.
    How did you remove the static locos in the Pahusett Electric route ?
    Cheers Ross

If you want to replace those "static" locos, they have to be in the correct areas with the correct "Shape, Texture and Ref." files. Unless you install them as loose consists, you create a folder with the loco name on it. Inside that folder, using Shape File Viewer, copy and paste the appropriate "S" & "SD" entries, as well as the appropriate "ACE" file(s). Shape viewer will let you see which *.ace files are needed to represent a static loco.
    What I do is transfer the S & SD files first and open in SFV, then I add the *.ace files one at a time until I see the whole loco/car taking shape, make sure that you are c & p'ing the files that are needed, just refer back to the viewer each time to see what is missing. Typically locomotives and rolling stock have a lot of necessary *.ace files as well as "Freight-Animation (FA)" files as well, so include them in that folder. Make a "Reference File" by just copying one already in use and change the necessary components, leaving all brackets and spaces as they were originally. Here is the way I use an "Old Box Car" repaint of Larry Goss' new super-detailed boxcar by Dean Kurowski:

Static (
    Class ( Static_Freight )
    Filename ( CPR52453.s )
    Align ( None )
    Description ( "Old_Box_Car" )
    )
    You would just change the wording for the locomotive.
    I am old, old school and I can do this, the first one gives you a great feeling of accomplishment!

Then back to MSTS RE and place the Loco/Car/Building/Rolling Stock using the Editor by copying the compass points from where you removed the previous piece. When you return to the coordinates you should be pretty close, go to the location and drop it onto the rails, then using the "Rotate" tool get it roughly into position and the using the "<-> positioning" tool to place it on the rails correctly, move in close to see that the wheels are at least close to the rail heads. When you pass by on a run, if all went correctly, you will see the result and it will be marvelous!
    Last edited by Don6218; 04-09-2015 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don6218 View Post
    If you want to replace those "static" locos, they have to be in the correct areas with the correct "Shape, Texture and Ref." files. Unless you install them as loose consists, you create a folder with the loco name on it. Inside that folder, using Shape File Viewer, copy and paste the appropriate "S" & "SD" entries, as well as the appropriate "ACE" file(s). Shape viewer will let you see which *.ace files are needed to represent a static loco.
    What I do is transfer the S & SD files first and open in SFV, then I add the *.ace files one at a time until I see the whole loco/car taking shape, make sure that you are c & p'ing the files that are needed, just refer back to the viewer each time to see what is missing. Typically locomotives and rolling stock have a lot of necessary *.ace files as well as "Freight-Animation (FA)" files as well, so include them in that folder. Make a "Reference File" by just copying one already in use and change the necessary components, leaving all brackets and spaces as they were originally. Here is the way I use an "Old Box Car" repaint of Larry Goss' new super-detailed boxcar by Dean Kurowski:

Static (
    Class ( Static_Freight )
    Filename ( CPR52453.s )
    Align ( None )
    Description ( "Old_Box_Car" )
    )
    You would just change the wording for the locomotive.
    I am old, old school and I can do this, the first one gives you a great feeling of accomplishment!

Then back to MSTS RE and place the Loco/Car/Building/Rolling Stock using the Editor by copying the compass points from where you removed the previous piece. When you return to the coordinates you should be pretty close, go to the location and drop it onto the rails, then using the "Rotate" tool get it roughly into position and the using the "<-> positioning" tool to place it on the rails correctly, move in close to see that the wheels are at least close to the rail heads. When you pass by on a run, if all went correctly, you will see the result and it will be marvelous!
    Thanks for advice

How do I go about replacing other static locos or rolling stock where they were.
    The easiest and most useful method after first having removed a Static rolling stock object in the MSTS Route Editor is to simply place a Loose Consist whatever there in a MSTS Activities Editor activity, the latter done in seconds. KISS !

It can then be used by the activity's player to couple on to and if it has a loco at the front can be changed to and then driven.

http://www.otto-wipfel.co.uk/video/msts-activity-change-locos.wmv

The only downside doing that is that the Loose consists are visible only in that activity !

Thank you Don6218 and Otto for your instructions.

I think I managed the removal of the static route objects was due to Otto's graphic answer.
    The KISS method, monkey see monkey do, works for me.
    I have the loose consist activity method already in my head, but not the direct Route placement method.
    Thanks for your effort guys, Some things come easier than others.
    Cheers Ross

You are welcome. Good old "KISS" is the way to do it every time.

Thanks to all who helped me acheive the required results.
    special thanks to qballbandit who stepped me through the process,
    of replacing Static objects. Thanks Neil.
    Cheers Ross

Looking great, mate!
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.