Thread: Problem loading MSTS V.1 onto windows 7

Default Problem loading MSTS V.1 onto windows 7

Hi, does anyone please know how to get my windows 7 machine to accept disc 2 as it doesn't want to know. it loads disc 1 o.k. upto 29% then asks for the second disc. I have tried followed some advice re. letting the disc drive get up to speed before pressing o.k. but when I put disc 2 in, it does not speed up. The game used to work fairly well in my old XP machine but with dodgy graphics especially the smoke ! I have tried loading it into my new laptop but that took forever and then put a load of jumbled graphics all over the title page. The computer runs windows 7 home preminum with Nvidia GTX 460 768 mb pci-e graphics card with Intel Core i7 -870 2.93Ghz cpu if that's any help. I would appreciate any help to get this to load as I really enjoy playing this game with the West Somerset add on pack. Thanks, "Chuckcoal"

Hi chuckcoal,
    Welcome to the Forum!!
    This is a regular problem and the following is my way around it, although there will, no doubt, be other solutions

1. Reboot the PC
    2. Create a temporary folder anywhere in your system, but preferably not in either of the Program Files folders!
    3. Place CD1 into the optical drive and cancel the Run box when it appears.
    4. Using Windows Explorer, copy all the contents from the CD into your temporary folder.
    5. When done, place CD2 into the optical drive
    6. when it's ready, copy its contents into the SAME temporary folder - allow overwrites (one file will report it's already in the folder).
    7. When it's all done, open the temporary folder and double-click on the setup.exe file.
    8. you should now be able to install MSTS as normal, although appreciably quicker!
    9. When MSTS is installed, don't try to run it, but apply the 1.4 update first (otherwise it'll ask for a CD). It's available here : http://msts.steam4me.net/MSTS_Updates/index.html
    10. You can, of course, keep the temporary folder, just in case you need it again in the future

If you are new to installing MSTS, please read this tutorial as it will save you a lot of heartache later! http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/i...g_msts_w7.html

Cheers,
    Ged

Hi again Ged, I,ve managed to copy the files to a temp file "trainsim folder" and then activated the setup.exe file in that folder.. It started all right, completing to the normal 27-28% then told me it could not find "setupenu.dll file ? I re-copied all the files from disc 1 again into temp file as above but when I tried to activate setup.exe again it would not do anything ? I despair, I think I need another program that WILL run MTSM , although I have looked at "open rails" but having downloaded the initial file can't make head to tail of how it works.!! I think that I don't have the knack some of you have !
    Last edited by chuckcoal; 04-19-2015 at 07:02 AM. Reason: spelling error

Hi chuckcoal,
    setupenu.dll is copied from one of the CDs and should be in your temporary folder. As your installation gave the error at about 28%, I suggest that you might not have copied both CDs into the same folder.

You mentioned "I tried to activate setup.exe" - if you mean you double-clicked it and nothing happened, try running it as administrator, although I haven't found that to be necessary whenever I use that method.

By the way, there's no knack!! Whenever a problem occurs, it's very often due to not fully reading and understanding instructions, or pressing keys at the wrong time!! Don't worry, we've all been guilty of it at some time; it's all part of the learning-MSTS process

Cheers,
    Ged

Hi Ged,
    have copied all files from both discs to "trainsim folder", then tried activating that way. it installs the first bit much quicker like you say but then gets stuck again at that 28% mark, which is the same spot if you load from discs at the end of disc 1 asking for the second disc. I would love for a forum member who lives in Oxfordshire near me at Grove Wantage to be able to show me first hand how to do this, otherwise I will have to give up I am afraid as it is taking up too much time with no light on the horizon. shame, as I say, it was a good game and I have the west somerset railway's add on. I have even tried "open Rails", downloaded the program but even following their instructions to the letter I can't get that going either. (only the you tube tuition video goes o.k.) thanks for your help mate I do appreciate it. Chuckcoal.

Chuckcoal

Just a question really. Are you running the setup.exe As Administrator ( right click and select from the menu ). I find with Win7 that it sometimes helps with these older installation files.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Hi chuckcoal,
    Sorry, mate, I'm a bit too far North to offer hands-on help, although I might be in your part of the World later on this year! Alternatively, we could use TeamViewer.

In the meantime, could you please post the specs of your PC because I've a feeling that could be where the problem lies.
    Also, did your PC have ANY problem reading the second CD into your "trainsim folder"?

Cheers,
    Ged

Hi Ged, success at last. my son came round and had a go, put the files into a separate file like I did, but when I had no joy loading the second disc, he kept his finger on the mouse button until the drive speeded up and presto it worked ! only prob now is it is in old graphics mode with large pixels and is not too good. is there a way I can change this in control panel whilst in the game ? it reverts to normal mode (1920 x 1080) after exiting. thanks for your help again mate. Keith
    Last edited by chuckcoal; 05-04-2015 at 05:59 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Hi Keith,
    It sounds like the default configuration!
    Get to the first menu screen and click on the <Options> button, near the bottom left.
    Click on the Display tab and under the Display Resolution select the 1280x1024x32 entry, then click on the <Save> button.

If MSTS is not shown in its correct 4:3 format, you'll need to go into your graphics card control panel and select the maintain aspect ratio option. MSTS doesn't look good in widescreen, although Open Rails is fine!!

Cheers,
    Ged