Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New EMD 645 Soundset (The Audio Shack)

Thumbs up New EMD 645 Soundset (The Audio Shack)

Sorry guys for the late announcement here but we have put up our EMD 645 Soundset. Comes with assorted authentic sounds from random idle sounds, to true to life Ultra Hornz, and much more! Go check it out!

http://milwaukeenorth418.wix.com/the...soundsets/cce2

I haven't tried these new sets but I did purchase the FDL12 and FDL16 sets. They are excellent sounds and some of the best horns I have found. I was leery at first due to the lack of comments from users on the forums but the teasers had me hooked.

Since this is in the MSTS forum, you should understand that the sounds are for Open Rails at this point. I haven't tried but I don't think that they work in MSTS but they apparently plan on adding MSTS sets too.

The instructions were a bit hard to follow. Essentially, you are aliasing the sounds to the sound set. I used Route Riter and it was easy to do.

Initially their customer service left something to be desired but they are getting better.

Basil

Yeah, gonna wait on the MSTS stuff. I'm still not completely hip to Open Rails.
    John Means

Quote Originally Posted by bprice View Post

The instructions were a bit hard to follow. Essentially, you are aliasing the sounds to the sound set. I used Route Riter and it was easy to do.

Initially their customer service left something to be desired but they are getting better.

Basil
    I could be mistaken, but I don't think I received any instructions or documentation of any kind with the 645 sound set. I made a Word document with all the appropriate alias strings so that I can copy and paste into the .eng files, which is not dissimilar to what you get with any freeware set here in the library.

The lack of documentation (and my having to develop my own to facilitate the aliasing procedure) was a disappointment, but the sounds themselves are great.

I was toying with buying the GEVO soundset, but am still undecided on further purchases as of now.

Are they through a download?

Yes they are downloaded sounds. The FDL sets I had to wait for them to send the link. But the 645 purchase seems to have an auto link that gets sent within a few moments post purchase.

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

I think it is a con to have two different sets for MSTS and OpenRails.I for one will not be purchasing in these circumstanxes.

Quote Originally Posted by ragtimer View Post
    I think it is a con to have two different sets for MSTS and OpenRails.I for one will not be purchasing in these circumstanxes.
    No doubt somebody with more patience than I will explain why the two sets.
    I'm too tired to bother.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I assume the creator of theses sounds sets can fill us all in on the finer points of the differences between the OR and MSTS versions of the sounds.

From my own experience though, I can say there are definitely differences between the two sims on how sounds are reproduced "in game", which can result in differences between the .sms files and the sound files themselves. These differences are subtle, but noticeable if you're really listening closely - slight differences in volume reproduction, timing differences (like synchronizing steam locomotive "chugs" to the wheel rotations), and I've also noticed that OR is much more friendly to using higher quality 22 kHz sounds. For instance, OR doesn't appear to have the problem of having an "echo" when switching between cab and exterior views when using 22 kHz horns or other sounds like MSTS does. If properly tuned I do think OR is more capable and satisfying to work with compared to MSTS and it's inherent limitations.

So this is just a guess since I haven't tried their sound sets yet, but I'm betting some combination of the factors above is the reason for two distinct sets of sounds for the two sims. I did the same thing on the MSTS and OR versions of the Frisco 1500 steam locomotives... the sound sets are specifically tweaked for the two versions to achieve the best results

You just wont get sounds to sound quite as good in msts as you can in OR. Thats just a plain simple fact. More and more content creators are already moving to developing specifically for OR. I really dont know why people even use msts for running trains anymore. OR isn't perfect, but it is way better than msts already. I only need the route editors. The activity editor is about 90 percent obsolete. The only issue with the audioshack sounds have pretty much come from a slight lack in quality control regarding missing sounds and almost no documentation to speak of. And i have had to create my own alias lists after purchase. I do believe those are things they should be including. But the sounds and the horns work amazingly well and realistically.