Thread: Shift duty and what next????????

Default Shift duty and what next????????

Guys:
    I have just started playing with an install of WOS-1 (PATH) and have run into a few problems.

First, the previous forum posts one or two complain about the announcements in the PATH. This is kind of amusing since it is a little obscure thing about the PATH employees..........back in the 1960-70's before EEO got into and ruined a lot of companies, the H&M/PATH had an unwritten thing that you would be given preferrential hiring if you were Irish descent for conductor or engineer. Thus to you pople who can't understand the announcements (WHY is it everybody complains us New Yorkers talk funny????) he makes, it's because he has an Irish brogue and that's the way they used to sound...most of the time you were not going to Hoboken...but Ho-BAAK-en.

I have been playing around with just running ordinary segments of the whole PATH route. Then last night I checked off the Shift Duties box to see what it would bring. I took the 5:47 JSQ-33rd as the first lap.

First, ranh the first lap and got to 33rd street (though not without some errors for 3rd or 4th try) Got the Evaluation screen at end of 1st Lap. How the dickens do you satisfy the bottom couople of lines to get a green "acceptable" in the announcements category....???? I played the F7-8-9 keys at all the stops, F7 (Train to) repeatedly in station, and F8 enroute announcement (Next stop) then a couple of times on F1 (Last stop) at 33rd street but still could not get a green approval??? Who do you have to know or "kick in the a#$" to get that????

Second, got to 33rd, completed the stop, then get the evaluation, then new picture appears of you on the platform at 33rd St, and it is presumed you walk to the other end and set up the south cab for a departure back towards 23rd St at 6:37. Only thing is, there's no damned instructions on what your "duty turns" are, what trains you're running and where the hell you're supposed to go at 6:37??? to set the F-8 display.

This is a poorly designed program compared to the original MSTS. The command keys are befuddling compared to the combinations for MSTS as well as some of them not giving you what you need or want (Walking, O, N or C keys) , and now I am sorry I got WOS 2 and 3 at this rate.

I know I will NOT get WOS 4 as they ruined it with the red MTA-era painted R-33/36 cars. The idiots should have done them in the original scheme of tirquoise & white when they were delivered in 1963 for the NY World's Fair........after all to us NYer's this IS the 50th anniversary of the event, and it should have been a fabulous way to release the route at the same time.

Doug

PS: I checked the TML Forum........even knowing German, it is extremely difficult to navigate the website, and there are no posts or any information on WOS-1, 2 or 3...only the new 4 version, so as some members here have complained, their alleged "support" is far from little or none, unlike the M&Ms candy: IT DOESN'T EXIST
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bootednancy; 04-22-2015 at 05:15 PM.

To answer the question about shift duty JSQ to 33rd. When you complete the first run exit the cab as you describe and walk to the other end, set up the cab, ( hit backspace to skip waiting time) and drive back to JSQ. Don't forget to set up destination display(F8) start ventilation fan (K) And press NUMPAD 7,8,9 and F3. Shut appropriate doors before departure. Never enter a station with headlights on and always press NUMPAD 2 before train enters station. At final station press NUMPAD 1. I am not sure how many trips are in a shift duty run.
    Hope this helps, I have never got more than 90% in my runs. Staying at the designated speed is difficult without using the Route Monitor and thus losing points.
    Regards Stu

Thank you Stu for the reply.............what I was getting at is there is NO schedule of runs that you follow or copy down...........so you know what the next train is...............are you going back to JSQ, changing to a Hoboken, Chainging to a Newark or just an equipment move over to the WTC or Harrison yard??? It is very unclear on that but just automatically makes you assume you turn back to where you started as you imply.
    The set-up proceedures are kind of "standard" once you get the hang of the initial game and the key commands. I was getting "evaluations" on some of the "explore" runs on the various routes...but not always, I did reach about an 85% on one...the difficult thing, esecially with the PATH route are the abrupt speed restrictions in a few spots, and the route monitor use.

I have also tried WOS-2 (Berlin) and it is a bit easier to control the train speeds as it is a faster limit route and longer distances so it is more enjoyable (though repeatedly monotonous with all the stops from one end to the other) though ,ost of the schedules you pick slam you multiple times with waiting at stop signals before stations, so your "Schedule compliance" on the evaluation always gets slammed for points.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by bootednancy View Post
    I know I will NOT get WOS 4 as they ruined it with the red MTA-era painted R-33/36 cars. The idiots should have done them in the original scheme of tirquoise & white when they were delivered in 1963 for the NY World's Fair........after all to us NYer's this IS the 50th anniversary of the event, and it should have been a fabulous way to release the route at the same time.

Doug

PS: I checked the TML Forum........even knowing German, it is extremely difficult to navigate the website, and there are no posts or any information on WOS-1, 2 or 3...only the new 4 version, so as some members here have complained, their alleged "support" is far from little or none, unlike the M&Ms candy: IT DOESN'T EXIST
    Don't get me started on the car inaccuracies and they are numerous (not just the color scheme). They knew the colors were wrong as they have been repeatedly told - in German, French and English - on the TML blog well before the release. Even the Steam forums have mentioned it numerous times.

Dear "nutz" ;
    I am glad I am NOT the only one who appreciates a "classic" NY City subway car. Don't have the set-up so I do not know what the other inaccuracies are, jut the choice of era for rolling stock is a big enough show "stopper" not to be interested.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Doug

bootednancy,
    I understand now. Shift duty I think is just is a set series of runs on the same section, back and forth. How many runs I am not sure yet. WOS3, Londons Circle Line, which I bought has 10 missions as well as a schedule. It was put down for inaccurate physics and some scenery problems but gained points for accurate station and train graphics. I have enjoyed WOS1 and 3. Wont buy WOS4, computer is not up to it and apparently train physics have been ignored again although I have read that they have been improved in a later patch.
    Regards Stu