Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Problems With New Rating System

Default More Problems With New Rating System

A few days ago I commented on the problems with the new rating system which requires one to rate a scenario even if they have not completed it but are merely taking a break. Failure to do so stops one from exiting the menu and the game.

Today, I have been paying lengthy mountain scenario using steam power in front of a passenger train that stops at all major stations, and I am playing it in sections since each section is anywhere up to thirty miles in length and takes up a lot of time. Under the new system, each time I leave the scenario temporarily, I must rate it in order to leave it, so what "rating" do I give it? A good rating for each section of the same scenario? I don't think so. A bad rating? That's not a proper choice, either.

So what is the intent of the "new and upgraded" rating system?

Yep, I am confronted with this all the time, since I regularly save and continue many of my scenarios. I also have a habit of checking a new scenario to ensure I have all the assets (you can't always trust the info supplied on the Workshop page). To do this I try to start it, and if all loads correctly, I quit it for later. Each time I'm forced to rate the scenario without having completed it.
    Seems stupid to me, but I assume they introduced this to compensate for removing the previous option (in earlier versions of TS) which used to take us to the original Workshop page where we could rate them and leave comments. Since that was removed, many scenario makers have been unhappy that users don't go to the Workshop page and leave feedback.
    So now, it seems we are forced to rate each scenario, often without completing it. Not sure how that will lead to more fair judgement of scenarios.

:confuse
    Quote Originally Posted by wad53 View Post
    Yep, I am confronted with this all the time, since I regularly save and continue many of my scenarios. I also have a habit of checking a new scenario to ensure I have all the assets (you can't always trust the info supplied on the Workshop page). To do this I try to start it, and if all loads correctly, I quit it for later. Each time I'm forced to rate the scenario without having completed it.
    Seems stupid to me, but I assume they introduced this to compensate for removing the previous option (in earlier versions of TS) which used to take us to the original Workshop page where we could rate them and leave comments. Since that was removed, many scenario makers have been unhappy that users don't go to the Workshop page and leave feedback.
    So now, it seems we are forced to rate each scenario, often without completing it. Not sure how that will lead to more fair judgement of scenarios.
    So how are you rating things you haven't even run yet? Good or Bad?

I was searching for the scenarios individually to rate them with comments, but the SEARCH function very often can't even find the scenario to begin with, and I refuse to give someone a thumbs up for something untried, especially given the many glitches and errors that often make it impossible to properly complete many scnarios being turned out these days, even by DTG itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post

So how are you rating things you haven't even run yet? Good or Bad?
    It's pretty useless but this is what I usually do.
    If I run into a problem (eg. stuck red light etc; which is common), I give it the thumbs down and go to the Workshop page and leave an appropriate comment. Often, the maker responds by correcting the problem.
    If I'm just saving to continue later, I give it a thumbs up and then give a correct rating when I finish it, but still go to the Workshop page to leave feedback.

I don't know why DTG didn't revert back to the original system where you were sent back to the Workshop page after you finish the Scenario. With the current system, they'll certainly get more ratings by users, but it probably won't be reliable feedback.

A few days ago I commented on the problems with the new rating system which requires one to rate a scenario even if they have not completed it but are merely taking a break. Failure to do so stops one from exiting the menu and the game.
    Doesn't happen if you play with Steam offline.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Do a save, quit the game, give it a rating and then take your break. Easy Pleasy. That's what I do. You can always use the Alt, Ctrl, Delete method also.
    Last edited by Flybyme; 05-20-2015 at 09:58 PM.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, Asus GTX 960 Strix OC 2gb graphics card, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2452mh LED 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD. Computer Gamer Since 1985

Quote Originally Posted by Flybyme View Post
    Do a save, quit the game, give it a rating and then take your break. Easy Pleasy. That's what I do. You can always use the Alt, Ctrl, Delete method also.
    Easy, but totally inaccurate and prone to over-rating. The current scenario takes four sessions to complete, but it's still only the same one scenario...so why should the creator get four good ratings for only one piece of work? That totally screwball concept only encourages very long scenarios, not quality.

And no, I do not reboot my computer to exit a scenario. I'll reboot yours, or DTG's main server, but not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Doesn't happen if you play with Steam offline.
    Yes, it does. I play offline frequently, and the departure sequence remains the same.

Easy, but totally inaccurate and prone to over-rating. The current scenario takes four sessions to complete, but it's still only the same one scenario...so why should the creator get four good ratings for only one piece of work? That totally screwball concept only encourages very long scenarios, not quality.
    I don't believe it leads to multiple ratings.
    I've checked with long scenarios, and after each save and rating, my previous rating is still there and I can even change it via the Workshop page. So, I'm pretty sure you still only give the one rating.

I have read on other forums that you can only rate a scenario once.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, Asus GTX 960 Strix OC 2gb graphics card, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2452mh LED 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD. Computer Gamer Since 1985