Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Build - optimization

I know the Speedtrees are a performance drain but the game gags on a TS2006 route:

Even on the Saginaw Sub you can't move around the map.

[quote thilliam]
    It is important to note that some of these changes are "quick fixes" to adjust the amount of detail in each scene, and some are changes to the underlying functionality where we are applying a more brute force approach to scene culling.
    Sounds like the neutering is coming. Assets disappearing in the distance just like TS2009's first update.

Harold
    Last edited by hminky; 05-26-2015 at 10:09 AM.

Did a replacement with Mcguirel's payware Speedtrees and wow:

Can jump all over the place and the game doesn't gag.

Harold
    Last edited by hminky; 05-26-2015 at 06:29 PM.

Not surprising Harold as the original N3V speedtrees in TS12 were performance hogs vs 3rd party Speedtrees, look no further than the built in Appalachian Coal route for evidence of that.
    Vern.

I must be the only person who likes Speedtrees.

I have added more of them to the ECML over the last week or so.

Find now that there are not only trees going missing:

Testing a small semi-urban map

Adding three consists, initial state

Moving around the map consist to consist the game stalls and assets are missing

Read the Hotfix list of "improvements":

Added some minor performance improvement for routes with excessive numbers of objects in the scene.
    If that is the reason for missing trees and assets, that is unacceptable.

There are no EXCESSIVE numbers of objects, there are the INTENDED number of objects.

I guess the neutering has begun, just like the deterioration going forward from TS2009.

Anybody remember the software switch from 8 bit to 16 bit or the 16 bit to 32 bit there were always those bad games that were mostly the former bit configuration but with the latter bit stuff to make the run in the higher configuration.

Putting my tin foil hat on for a moment. Me thinks that the old jet engine was bastardized into a 64 bit application. Others have whispered that thought on other sites.

Harold
    Last edited by hminky; 05-31-2015 at 08:07 AM.

What version of Speedtree is Auran using? Have they even bought the SDK yet? There is no way those stupid trees at this point should be killing performance.

These are Speedtrees... Far beyond that of Aurans implementation.. So you really gotta laugh at how they're being blamed by Auran still.

Now that's what N3V target graphics should have been (and achieved) and I bet it doesn't run your GPU up to 95C either!
    Vern.

That is the level of graphics any game made today should have.Tane clearly fails in this respect.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Now that's what N3V target graphics should have been (and achieved) and I bet it doesn't run your GPU up to 95C either!
    Runs my overclocked 980 to 80c.. I setup a fan profile though to keep it at 79c-80c.. My GPU runs 99% most of the time in this game.. The difference is.. At least the speedtrees, graphics and density of coverage give a reason why the GPU is being worked so hard..

The Speedtrees are packed TIGHT in the forest areas.. It's really a shame N3V did what they did.. Promising NextGen and releasing a Frankenstein version of Jet..

Fullsize screengrab: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8774/1...e4c2d307_o.png
    Last edited by styckx; 06-01-2015 at 01:56 PM.

On a slightly different (but similar) note, I just bought into the "early access" Dirt Rally on Steam. Even at what is presumably an early beta, looks runs and feels light years ahead of TANE. Okay, it's probably got a bigger budget than N3V had for their title but still a fairly niche genre. Will be interesting to see how the car physics are too.
    Vern.