Thread: Present Day on the Conrail Indy Line

Post Present Day on the Conrail Indy Line

Conrail Indy Line I personally believe is one of the most well done freeware routes available. A owe a debt of gratitude to all who made this route possible and their time and effort to do so. This thread I'd like to dedicate to my next endeavor, which is modern day operations on the Indy Line between Avon and Marion.

We get started, hotshot intermodal Q008 with a couple of Union Pacific visitors has its outbound crew onboard and ready to take it to Crestline, OH.

Coming through downtown Indianapolis, by Lucas Oil Stadium and the Amtrak Station.

Coming out of downtown, Q008 still navigates some streets in the eastern suburbs.

Down the line in Muncie, Q008 crosses the NS mainline at grade.

More to come!
    EK

Quote Originally Posted by ekeating View Post
    This thread I'd like to dedicate to my next endeavor, which is modern day operations on the Indy Line between Avon and Marion.

Coming through downtown Indianapolis, by Lucas Oil Stadium and the Amtrak Station.
    Hmm... Sadly, that is actually the RCA Dome (AKA Hoosier Dome) seen on the route. Which dates things to at least 10 Years ago...

Other than that... Downtown was excellently modelled when the route was originally done!

If an updated route is ever done to bring it up to 2015 standards, I would also like to see the North East side of Indianapolis, around the Fort Benjamin Harrison area, to receive updates & improved scenery. The Finance Center "Building" is there, but the rest of the area, on the North side of the tracks is unrecognizable from how it really is today. Since the Military privatized much of the land, within the last 10 to 20 years... It has all been re-developed and 56th street now continues east out to Pendleton Pike, with a bridge now crossing over the tracks.
    Yardmaster of the Great American Moose Paint Shops.
    a Moose Interchange Rail Company division.
    http://mjrmstsrepaints.proboards.com
    TTFN!

Hello,
    My intent is not to hijack your thread, but to add another compliment to it.
    I just ran a portion of the route yesterday, albeit much further east than your shots, on a personal upgraded copy.
    This route was among my first downloaded, and where I started experimenting with route modding/upgrading.
    Ted Kocyla started work on an updated version of the route, many years back, but never progressed to completion. I have that copy, and threw a bunch of mods at it, but do agree - it is an enjoyable route by default to run. I nice mix of countryside and city scenery. For it's time (and still stands the test of time), a very well done piece of work.
    Here's one from my run yesterday, on a fictitious joint effort by Illinois Railway and CSX, moving sand empties from Indiana back to Illinois:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by qballbandit View Post
    My intent is not to hijack your thread, but to add another compliment to it.
    I don't mind at all! Very nice screenshots and excellent modifications as well. Obviously the route shows its age despite the 2012 update by the intermittent lack of scenery and some dated texturing. But that doesn't take away from the experience! My favorite aspect of the route has to be each of the intermediate signals having accurate milepost placards and control points having appropriate CP boxes. Definitely a crowd pleaser!

EK

As promised, more photos from along Indy chasing Q008!

CSX Ballast extra W089 rockets westbound

Other shots of Q008 through the plains of IN and OH

EK

Somewhere in Indiana near the Indianapolis Line

I have to say the Conrail Indy route is my favorite out there. Not only was Conrail my favorite railroad, but my son built the original route while going through college. I do know that he plans to do a complete rebuild of the route when there is a route editor available for Open Rails. He grew up in Anderson, so we spent almost every weekend railfanning between Anderson and Muncie. I now live in Lawrence and within a mile of the line...after 12 years away from it, so it has re-kindled my interest. Neil, I was wondering if I could possibly obtain a copy of your upgraded version? For my use only, of course. I'm really liking what I see in your screen shot. I'm assuimg that's just west of Marion, Ohio. Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I'm just really glad to see that so many people are enjoying this route.

Thanks for the thread about Conrail Indy. It's been one of my favorites too. I don't often get on the forum, but have to agree about Neil's Conrail Indy shots, very impressive.
    Paul
    scrabbleroad
    N&W fan

Love this route...growing up in Muncie it was neat to get to run over the lines I followed.