Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 Free Upgrade+MSTS/Open Rails

Default Windows 10 Free Upgrade+MSTS/Open Rails

Wondering how windows 10 free upgrade is going to work? What will it do to MSTS and Open Rails? Are we going to have to Install everything all over again? Will it work?

AMD Phenom Quad core processor,Black Edition
    16 Gigs of Ram
    AMD/ATI R7 260x Video Card
    750 Watt Power Supply

Just curious

Thanks Poochwilly

Call my technicien about it,he said to wait.

Claudie.

Tried the preview and got "blue screens of death".

Constantly found disk errors and finally stopped working.

Had to reinstall Win8.1 and have had no problems since.

Win10 didn't do anything better than Win 8.1.

If you want to run MSTS use Win 7, had MSTS on a separate Win7 partition.

Harold

EDIT: Probably move to Win 10
    Last edited by hminky; 06-03-2015 at 07:46 AM.

This has popped up an icon on the Desktop PC in the last couple of days, but not the laptop. Currently waiting to see - the desktop has Nvidia graphics so hopefully MSTS okay(ish) but the laptop is an AMD card so W10 would finish off the, admittedly slim, chance of me ever doing another MSTS route.
    Vern.

The latest batch of Windows updates have pushed the pre-release notification icon and compatibility check features; everybody with Windows 7 or 8/8.1 will start seeing them in the weeks ahead.

I've played with the Tech Preview versions of Win10 in a virtual machine for a while. Some versions were unstable, lately it's been good. The VM doesn't have nearly enough horsepower to even think about trying MSTS or Open Rails on it, but it doesn't look like there are any changes significant enough to prevent MSTS from running as long as it's installed the recommended way, outside of any Program Files folder. I've tossed some of our old business applications from work at it (That have similar issues with needing to stay outside Program Files and such), and Win10 is still fine with them.

MSTS-Roundhouse

On hiatus and moving to a new host -- Probably in 2021
    (Because 2020 has turned out to be b0rked beyond belief...
    )

I'm going to throw this out there...

Just because one CAN do something, it doesn't necessarily follow that one MUST do something.

Why worry about upgrading to Win10, if your MSTS installation runs perfectly fine in Win7/8 AS IS?

In other words, if it ain't broke, don't "fix" it!

The joke at my closest Best Buy Geek Squad is that since Windows operating systems alternate between good and garbage, Microsoft cancelled Win 9 which would have been good, and went straight to Win 10 to have garbage again.

Don Karch Cripple Creek Railroads Route (CS&CCD, MT, F&CC)
    Rollins Pass/Moffat Tunnel Route V5 (Denver to Craig and Glenwood Springs)
    D&RGW Glenwood Spgs-Grand Jct Route and Colorado Joint Line, Denver-Pueblo
    C&S Narrow Gauge South Park Line/Colorado Midland SG/D&RG NG and SG

Everything I've seen so far suggests that 10 == 8 SP 2. Considering that it took 2 service packs for each of the previous major versions to get it mostly right, and 3 to make it work well (XP was mostly garbage until SP2, and solid after SP3; Vista was mostly garbage until SP2 == 7, solid after SP3 == 7 SP1). 10 should be 8 with most of the bugs fixed and a few useful features (like a reasonable facsimile of the Start button/menu for those without touch screens) added. I therefore expect it to be OK. If you could get MSTS and/or ORTS working in 8.1, it should work in 8.2 == 10.

The missing Windows 9 is actually a case of backward compatibility in action. Some of MS' technical blogs described how they discovered that a lot of software installers substring a text constant that identifies the version of Windows - which they're not supposed to do, but it was convenient. Problem is, if they see "Windows 9" they stop there and do what's appropriate for an attempt to install under Windows 95/98. Usually, that is to say "invalid Windows version" and fail. Either everybody (including abandonware makers ... good luck) would have to rewrite their installers to use the proper Windows versioning method, or MS could skip "Windows 9" and punt the problem out to some future decade. It's not a joke. And Apple would never even consider that if they had a similar problem - they simply expire your applications after a couple of OS releases so you have to buy new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by dredick View Post
    Why worry about upgrading to Win10, if your MSTS installation runs perfectly fine in Win7/8 AS IS?
    Technology and marketing don't stand still for anyone, no matter how much you hate change. We heard the same "if it ain't broke" moans when Windows 98 and Windows XP's time had passed. Best IT practice has always been to support the current and previous operating system, so Win7 will soon become three levels past in its software life cycle. Luddites can lament. Of course, Win7 has years of support to come, but that too shall eventually pass.

People will be buying new computers and they'll have Win10 on them. We've got Win 8.1 combined with Classic Shell all over the place here at the university where I work, without any problems except for users who have very old special peripheral devices. I expect Win10 will be good, too.
    Last edited by ftldave; 06-03-2015 at 06:00 PM. Reason: add txt
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

dredick: Why worry about upgrading to Win10, if your MSTS installation runs perfectly fine in Win7/8 AS IS?

ftldave: Technology and marketing don't stand still for anyone...
    I agree with both quotes, and will go ahead with the upgrade despite some expected glitches.

If you don't do the upgrade within the first year, all indications are that you will have to pay retail price for it later. If you can live with that, fine: Windows 7 SP1 will continue to get security updates until 2020. Perhaps by then we will have Windows 12 (or Windows 10.xxxxx).

I would rather restart the support clock and just deal with the expected glitches (mainly having to do with some very old software that I still use). MSTS appears to work in Win8 if installed as described at steam4me and elsewhere, and with specific video hardware and drivers, and if so it should continue to work in 10 despite MS' big "Not Compatible" rating. Has anybody using the Tech Previews confirmed that?

And if all else fails ... I understand that MSTS works in the latest releases of WINE under Linux. I was strongly considering that, but with MS offering "free" upgrades I'll put it off for a bit longer. Just for fun, though, I might try it on the daughter's old desktop (no longer in use) before gutting it and turning it into NAS for the house.
    Last edited by mikeebb; 06-04-2015 at 01:16 PM.