Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tearing my hair out with STEAM!!

Default Tearing my hair out with STEAM!!

I have spent over three hours attempting to get TS2015 up and running properly after moving it to my new computer.
    Three &^%$#@* hours!!!!
    In the end I had to reinstall Steam and then spend a small fortune on what appeared to be downloading a whole lot of stuff again.

I now have TS2015 running again - and it has several routes and other assets recognised.
    But there are over 30 routes which I have and which it does not see, not to mention umpteen locos and other assets.
    I've been to Steam so many times that I feel like a shareholder but I cannot find my way through the wall of indifference which seems to be their idea of intuitive help.

Does anyone have the slightest idea as what I need to do in order to get this solved?
    I will shower you with untold riches if you can help me save what little hair I have left!

All help appreciated.

Regards,
    Bruce
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

"Moving it to my new computer" is why you're having so many problems. Windows apps are not intended to be "moved" -- they aren't like old DOS programs. Best to stop fretting and start over with a base installation of Steam, then TS2015, then your add-ons, rebooting and some basic testing between each significant installation. Otherwise, start looking for wig shops.
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

Quote Originally Posted by ftldave View Post
    "Moving it to my new computer" is why you're having so many problems. Windows apps are not intended to be "moved" -- they aren't like old DOS programs. .....
    In that case, Dave, perhaps you could pass that information onto the Steam folk who, in obvious ignorance of the fact, provide advice for moving Steam & associated games from one drive or one computer to another.

Fortunately I backed up my SteamApps folder and have, in the past couple of hours, managed to sort the problem to a certain extent - at least the game sees the routes and assets even if the Steam site itself continues to show that I haven't any of the stuff installed!

Bruce
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

So long as you logged in with the same account Bruce, surprised Steam actually allowed you to purchase the same DLC, as normally there's a warning you already own it. Unless bandwidth is an issue, usually best just to start from scratch and let Steam re-download what you own, rather than transferring folders and files. Anything missing, a "verify cache" normally gets it on the second or third run.

If you have been charged again, might be worth contacting their Support to see if a refund is possible.
    Vern.

Hi Bruce !

I have been through the same experience with Steam and DTG recently, you may be aware of having read my posts about it !

Not only with Steam but also with the new BT-Yahoo Broadband Home Hub router which works with my WIN-7 conputer but not wiith my BT USB ADSL Broadband modem WIN-XP SP2 computer, both being connected to the same BT OpenReach ADSL socket at the same time, using a dual ADSL socket, or use a RJ45 Ethernet cable to directly connect the Hub with my WIN-XP SP2 computer's Ethernet socket, neither mehod worrking with both computers trying to connect to the Internet at the same time and still have to switch plugging their individual cables into the single BT Openreach wall ADSL socket for both to connect individually to the Web, using one computer at a time !

Your Steam account is aware of all the DTG DLCs you have purchased up to date and it will re-install them all again on your new computer, taking longer than just installing its recent basic TS*2015 !

You should not have purchased a new TS-2015 install without first asking me about this, not getting all the help you need here in this forum, only users who had to do similar would have experience after having done it successfully themselves !

So to get all your DLC downloads again, uninstall the new basic DTG TS-2015 and after re-starting your new computer from cold connect to your old Steam account and have Steam re-install all that you have purchased to date, taking a bit longer, there being more to install, which wiith my Crap rural copper cable BT Broadband connection would have taken more than 3 days and nights to complete, risking Time-Outs or other disruptions caused during UK Interned Peak periods !

Then
    BACK-UP your new Railworks folder and transfer the previous TS-2015 Railworks Assets and Content folderrs into it, overwriting the existing ones and have used an external SATA USB adapter to transfer some required data from my WIN-XP SP3's loose HDs and SSDs to the WIN-XP SP2 computer.

In case the new install has updated some of the contents of the previous Railworks folder, which you have transfered into your new one,
    RESTORE the Backed-Up new Railworks folder to make sure that all of its previous contents are aware of the latest updates !

Doing all this, having followed my instructions to the letter, will make sure that all the TS-2015 on your expired computer will then also work on your new one, which I presume is a WIN-8.1 Quad-CPU computer with at least 8GB RAM and a recent nVidia GTX graphics card, TS-2015 prefers !

Need any help please e-mail me and if you do not have my address you will find it on my web site or with Google, as dealing with this here in this forum is only of interest to the odd user who had to replace her/his computers with a new one and if they have problems should also e-mail me !

Tale care and good luck !

thanks for this info otto.........

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Surprised Steam actually allowed you to purchase the same DLC, as normally there's a warning you already own it.
    I got a second account with Steam to buy another copy of it when TS-2014 was updated to TS-2015, using my alias name and its e-mail address, also for use with Facebook, etc, to maintain my, my family's and Friends Privacy !

E-mail IPs are being allocated dynamically by ISPs and are never the same to be checked by web sites, allowing forinstance banned forum users to register again, but can not change their style and manners easily !

Steam don't mind, it is all more money for them !

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post

Steam don't mind, it is all more money for them !
    And unfortunately, that is the problem. Less incentive to fix a 'problem', when people basically pay-to-fix as this.

So unfortunately, part of the problem is folks who do just that, as well. After all, no matter -what- steam has done/does, it all comes down to they -are- a Business, and need to make a large profit, as does any company.

...and in a nutshell gentlemen you've summed up why I'll probably NEVER run RW/TS again. Never had any problems with what I purchased from payware vendors for MSTS.

I say this not to trash RW/TS but to question (as many did! ...right from the start) who benefitted from STEAM?

I'm sure in the world of games that predominate there now it's excellent? The trouble with Sims is that they aren't just "One Off Games"

Just my two cents worth and hope the OP gets his money back and an apology.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Otto, sorry, but you've got the wrong end of the stick: I didn't have to re-purchase anything but I had to download just about every route and asset again that I already have in SteamApps. On my HDD. On my PC.
    The "small fortune" I mentioned in my OP refers to the cost of on-line time with my service provider (Australia's wonderful Telstra, who charge like a herd of wounded buffalo).

Fortunately I have been able to copy "stuff" across from the SteamApps directory on my old PC (laptop) to the new SteamApps.
    So everything that I had is now in its right place.

The problem is, however, that when I go online to Steam it shows those assets and routes greyed out and that I need to install them, so what does it do? It starts to download the bloody things again!!

Talk about annoyance, frustration and expense; my ISP is laughing all the way to the bank as I continue to force money on them!

Bruce

P.S.
    Thank you for the shots of the bridge of star-ship Enterprise. Captain Kirk must be in conference with Spock.
    Last edited by seagoon; 06-12-2015 at 10:02 PM.