Thread: Add-ons for Open Rails

Default Add-ons for Open Rails

Are there add-ons that one can purchase for version 1.0? What I mean is: Can you purchase and run add-ons without MSTS, with just the free-ware Open Rails latest release v.1.0?
    Last edited by Ezra; 06-22-2015 at 06:50 PM.

I use all my MSTS addons using MSTS. As long as you have OR running, any MSTS addon will work just fine. Just be sure that the required minumums for the addon have been made available. Xtracks, Newroads, Scalerail, etc. My MSTS install is used just to run installme.bats.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Are there add-ons that one can purchase for version 1.0? What I mean is: Can you purchase and run add-ons without MSTS, with just the free-ware Open Rails latest release v.1.0?
    Yes, BUT ...

Quote Originally Posted by ckawahara View Post
    [...] Just be sure that the required minumums for the addon have been made available. Xtracks, Newroads, Scalerail, etc. My MSTS install is used just to run installme.bats.

The installme.bat files are exactly the problem. Most route-add-ons require default MSTS files to be able to run, be it shapes, textures, sounds or whatever. Be sure to install your add-ons to an MSTS-like folder structure (if you donīt have MSTS, I think, what that should look like it is mentioned in the manual) and that you have all necessary files in those folders. Those donīt need to be default MSTS files, as for most anything replacements are available for free. WRT to a listing of what all files are needed, well - I donīt think a list of all default MSTS files exists, so, thatīs going to be the hard part, finding that all out from error messages.

Cheers, Markus

Trains. Trains? Trains! =)
    I usually hang out at www.elvastower.com (markus_GE).
    Also take a look at my homepage: http://mgelbmann.jimdo.com/

Paul Charland routes are a good place to look for routes that do not need MSTS content.