Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Been Brought to My Attention...

Default It's Been Brought to My Attention...

...that the skies are not the way they ought to be. Geoff from the UK brought this up on the 9th Volume of Any Railroad, Any Route, Any Era in the MSTS section, and asked that I share my screenshots here for the Open Rails team to discuss and address what the issue may be.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." - James Dean
    calrouteprojectmstsorts.weebly.com/
    californiapacificrailroadorts.weebly.com/
    Cheers, S. J. Hjellum

OR doesn't support standard skies when using the experimental "MSTS Environments" option. Feather River (and Sherman Hill) uses a special sky dome and texture set which causes the "balloon sky" effect in your first screen. I hope this will be addressed sometime in the future, as I feel the default skies in OR are lacking.
    3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature

So it's an issue between ORTS and MSTS environments...interesting.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." - James Dean
    calrouteprojectmstsorts.weebly.com/
    californiapacificrailroadorts.weebly.com/
    Cheers, S. J. Hjellum

Thanks for that.

I've submitted a bug report on the OR bug report system.

Hopefully, as I linked to this post, they might respond here too?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    OR doesn't support standard skies when using the experimental "MSTS Environments" option. Feather River (and Sherman Hill) uses a special sky dome and texture set which causes the "balloon sky" effect in your first screen. I hope this will be addressed sometime in the future, as I feel the default skies in OR are lacking.
    Well I've had two completely contradictory responses from Simon and Ross.

Simon acknowledging the issue and saying he'll try and look into it..... and Ross saying it ISN'T a bug and marking the report "Invalid". ?!?!

Maybe you can add your comments Marc?

Bug Report #1469442 "Skies and Environments"

Maybe I'm(We're) doing something wrong? ...so I've asked Ross for clarification.
    Geoff
    UK

Hi Folks,

While the sky obviously still needs some work - I recently figured out how to make new sky domes from any normal sky image... I got tired of the default - so I started building a library of sky textures for a bit of variation - of course they need to be manually swapped out...

Example:

Regards,
    Scott

Scott,

could you try using those sky images in an MSTS environment, which is then used in ORTS, to see how it works out?

As I have seen, the skydome textures you created were actually very much distorted to the edges, which seems to compensate for the "geyser" effect shown already.

Cheers, Markus

Trains. Trains? Trains! =)
    I usually hang out at www.elvastower.com (markus_GE).
    Also take a look at my homepage: http://mgelbmann.jimdo.com/

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Folks,

While the sky obviously still needs some work - I recently figured out how to make new sky domes from any normal sky image... I got tired of the default - so I started building a library of sky textures for a bit of variation - of course they need to be manually swapped out...

Regards,
    Scott
    That looks Good Scott.

Trouble is quite a few MSTS routes already have custom skies and environments and it would be useful if these could be used in OR? Of course quite a few problems with OR at the moment seem to crop up when using "Widescreen" (Today's Normal for Monitors?) as opposed to traditional MSTS aspect ratios? Cabviews being one obvious area of conflict?
    Geoff
    UK

Hi Markus,

Sorry - I don't think I follow - the textures are in the sky dome circular format so I don't think they will work in MSTS environments - right ? It's just designed for a drop in replacement in the "Content" directory in the ORTS folder... It's not very eloquent - just a stop gap to provides a little variety until someone builds a better engine...

I noticed the slight distortion around the edges - but - I think that is due to the actual shape ORTS uses to represent the sky - like any shape it's not truly spherical and has flat spots...

Here is higher picture of a different texture to show the edges a little better...

Regards,
    Scott

Hi Geoff,

Oh - sorry - I might have cruised right passed the whole point you were trying to make... Which was actually fixing the MSTS environments - not improving ORTS... Sorry for the confusion - understand now...

Regards,
    Scott