Thread: APKExtractor - a replacement for TSUnpack

Default APKExtractor - a replacement for TSUnpack

Hi All,
    For those who don't visit the MSTS Forum very often, I've posted this today :
    The latest version of this program is now available in the file library - apkextractor303.zip
    The only change is a (fairly) minor bug-fix

For those who haven't tried it yet, may I say it is especially useful to Open Rails users with multiple installation profiles as there is no requirement to unpack apk files into "dummy" routes. For MSTS users, it does all that TSUnpack does, and more! It is equally suitable for MSTS-only, Open Rails-only and mixed installations.

A further enhancement, which is only applicable to OR, is in the "works" and should be available by the end of the month.
    Cheers,
    Ged

Hi All,
    This is a copy of my post on the MSTS Forum :

The latest (and possibly, final!) version of this program is now available from the library. The main "guts" of the program haven't changed, but a couple of enhancements (suggested by my testers - thanks, chaps [/quote][quote] ) are included. Full details are included in the ReadMe. To those users who are averse to using ReadMe files, I'd like to suggest the following to avoid possible difficulties :

Unpack the zip file into a temporary folder and run the installer found there-in. The name of the executable and of the default installation folder are the same as for the previous version.*** NOTE : It is recommended that the previous version is NOT uninstalled and that this version is installed into the same folder, otherwise it will be necessary to re-associate .apk files with this version of APKExtractor3.exe

Also, I note that the two previous versions are still available in the library; until they are removed, may I suggest that you only use version 3.04 (uploaded 10 Aug 2015). The main reasons being that (i) I think it's better (!) and (ii) it'll make it easier for me to deal with any problems/errors encountered. Thanks

The name of the download is : apkex-v3.zip

Cheers,
    Ged

Hi,
    I've posted this in the MSTS General Forum, but include it here as it might be of interest!

There IS another version of APKExtractor!! It's been uploaded to the library and should be available for download in the near future.

This is v3.05 and includes an optional search of specified drives or folders for MSTS installations. This will be of particular use to MSTS-only users who have a collection of mini routes into which installing .apk files can be a pain! It will also be useful to Open Rails users who, for one reason or another, haven't included all their MSTS installations in the OR Profiles.
    Cheers,
    Ged

Hi All,
    I have been advised of a problem which may be faced by a few Open Rails users.

It only affects those Open Rails installations which haven't been added into its Profiles list. The effect is that those installations aren't recognised and, so, are 'missed' by the program.
    The solution is to either add them into the OR Profiles list or to add dummy versions of 'train.exe' and 'ebueula1.dll' into each installation. Doing this will allow APKExtractor to treat them as actual installations. If/when those installations are added into the OR Profiles list, the 'dummy' files may be left in situ as they won't have any detrimental effect on Open Rails.

A revised readme has been uploaded to the library and should replace the original. The original program is absolutely unchanged! The upload also contains copies of the two 'dummy' files.

File apkex_3a_readme.zip will be available as soon as it's approved.

Cheers,
    Ged