Thread: problems with non-self-lapping brakes

Default problems with non-self-lapping brakes

First off, I do hope I'm using proper terminology here. It appears that most MSTS locomotives have self-lapping brakes which are compatible with the RD.....one moves the train brake lever to the desired position of brake pressure reduction, and that reduction holds at that reduction, say 18 pounds, until released. In MSTS, some locomotives do not have this feature, and any movement of the brake lever results in the pipe pressure dropping clear to zero, and does not release.....so, end of that activity. Question is: is there a method to set the brakes when running power with non-self-lapping brakes? Much of the recent steam power I have acquired, the WP 2-8-2s, the SP GS-2s and GS-6s are examples of power with non self lapping brakes, same with the 3D Trains ATSF PAs, and that beautiful set of CP heritage steam power. AA

While thanking those who stopped by to look........noting that there have been zero responses mystifies me. I do not believe that I am the only RD user who cannot get non-self-lapping brakes to the lap position with the RD brake lever. For me, this makes use of such power almost unusable. There must be thousands of RDs out there....how do those operators out there deal with this problem? Or could it be possible that they simply avoid power with non-self-lapping brakes? The only way I can use power with those type brakes is to find an uphill run, or a run with little need for braking. But, mostly I replace such power with power equipped with self-lapping brakes through the use of Conbuilder. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. AA

I don't use an RD, but the WP 2-8-2s do have a lap position on the 6 position brake control.

Brake_Train ( 0 1 0.1 0
    NumNotches( 6
    Notch(0 0 TrainBrakesControllerReleaseStart )
    Notch(0.2 0 TrainBrakesControllerRunningStart )
    Notch(0.4 0 TrainBrakesControllerSelfLapStart )
    Notch(0.5 1 TrainBrakesControllerApplyStart )
    Notch(0.9 0 TrainBrakesControllerFullServiceStart )
    Notch(1.0 0 TrainBrakesControllerEmergencyStart )
    )
    )

You apply the brakes, then move the controller back to lap.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Baldwin, Thanks for your remarks. Using the Raildriver, moving the brake elver back at the desired "set" simply releases the brakes.....I have never been able to find that elusive lap position with the use of non-self lapping brakes. I am really surprised, not to mention disappointed, that Raildriver support does not appear to recognize this as a problem with Raildriver, and referred me to Microsoft, of all things, for this problem I have with the use of Raildriver. AA

I think RD was designed to be used with more modern braking systems and locos and they didn't take into account the older types. We who use older brake systems that require a lap are probably a minority of users. When I run steam era locos I just revert back to the key board controls.

Hball, You might just be right in your supposition that RD users simply do not use RD, but instead go back to keyboard controls when running power with non-self lapping brakes. I know I'm stubborn, but am I the only one so stubborn as to insist on using the RD for all run on MSTS? Another question, is it possible to find the lap position using the keyboard, in order to get a set when running using RD and power with non-self lapping brakes? If so, what is that key? AA

I thought I had an idea for a work-around of my lapping problem.....use the keyboard controls for braking on non-self-lapping power, thinking this is a problem limited to use of the RD, not an MSTS defect. Well, I thought wrong. Running one of the very nice WP GS-6s, I tried out my idea.....and had exactly the same problem as with use of the RD.....brakes apply normally, but an attempt to lap the brakes releases them....or if not released, the brake pressure continues to drop until the train comes to a halt. So, a failed experiment. How do users manage to use these brakes successfully? AA