Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Windows 10 support AMD graphic card in MSTS?

Question Will Windows 10 support AMD graphic card in MSTS?

As we all know that there will be a new operating system of Microsoft Windows 10 available for free to all users who have Windows 7 or 8 on their computers at the end of this month -- July 29th through Windows Update download of new operating system. Also we know that AMD graphic cards can't run on Windows 8 but can run on Windows 7. My question is that will Windows 10 support AMD graphic cards to run the program of Microsoft Train Simulator or not? I know some of the users have switched to Nvidia from AMD to run MSTS in Windows 8. Mine is Windows 7 with AMD graphic card but have Nvidia graphic card for extra if Windows 10 will not support AMD graphic card. Also will get the update of DirectX 12 free with Windows 10 update as well. Anyone know about this with Windows 10 can or can't support AMD graphic card in MSTS?

John

I suspect that it will not.
    We need to wait for someone to test though.
    Cheers
    Derek

Hi,
    My tests with the Windows 10 Previews show that MSTS has the same problems as with Windows 8 / 8.1 when using an AMD graphics card. One possible exception is that under Windows 8.1, if the user has one of the AMD "Bulldozer" CPUs and an AMD graphics card it has been reported that MSTS works OK - However, I am unable to confirm this.

Cheers,
    Ged

I can't answer the question but I can say I had MSTS running fine for years on Win7 Home Premium machine which has an AMD CPU and an ATI 5800 series GPU. When my OS SSD died and I had to rebuild the machine with a new SSD and reinstall the OS I found that MSTS would no longer run . Now, whether that was down to updates in the OS, updates in the ATI drivers or another reason I can't answer.

I would be interested to know if anyone else running a pre Win8/8.1/10 machine has had a similar problem?

Did the last patches for Win 7 contain whatever makes it fail in Win8/8.1 ? ...or is it just an ATI driver issue?

I've now invested in a new machine to run FS, MSTS and OR which has an Intel i-7 CPU and an NVidea GPU but have yet to set that up. The Mini Routes I copied onto a new SSD are running fine on the new box so the issue is obviously down to the re-jigging of my Win7 box.

I'm going top leave any upgrade to Win 10 until "the usual" torrent of patches and Service Packs come out ...but I suspect any SP may wait until the "free" upgrade date is past? Hopefully Win 10 will turn into a worthy successor to 7? ...rather than the desperate attempt to capture the phone and tablet touch screen market that Win 8 was blatantly aimed at?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

It has to do with drivers for some AMD products not being backwards supporting of DirectX7, which is what the MSTS game engine was designed around

With Windows 8 and beyond featuring fast-boot, where the divers for add-on hardware such as video cards get "pre-qualified" by a Microsoft digital signature, likely for a Microsoft license fee, you are going to find the cheaper peripheral manufacturers deploying "tighter" driver packages in order to pay less fees. We are up to DX12, and for some manufacturers, DX7 was too far back to justify economically, and that predicament will not ease going forward. Not that justifying continuing DX 7 support in a DX12 world needed a final push from Microsoft in the first place.

MSTS still runs on win7 with all updates and the latest AMD driver for win 7.

Micros**t instructed AMD to remove the dx7 code from the AMD driver for win8+

MSTS is not the only game affected by this decision.
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by derekmorton View Post
    Micros**t instructed AMD to remove the dx7 code from the AMD driver for win8+
    Why would the Microsofties have told AMD to do that and not nVidia? Doesn't make sense, doesn't ring true. AMD surely chose to do it to save costs.
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

Quote Originally Posted by ftldave View Post
    Why would the Microsofties have told AMD to do that and not nVidia? Doesn't make sense, doesn't ring true. AMD surely chose to do it to save costs.
    Well AMD/ATI has always been cheaper on a "Bang for your Buck" level? It's why I went with AMD over Intel a number of times but until the last box I always had NVidea Cards. Trouble is you get nothing for free? The AMD machines have always run hot (or at least the fan noise indicates they have?) and I never liked the ATI Driver interface much. Horses for courses but I always thought the NVidea one was (certainly used to be) far more straight forward.

Still none of the above explains why my MSTS stopped working because Derek still has it running ....unless I've got a later driver for the ATI 5800 (which is old in GPU card terms?). Haven't had time to look at rolling back the driver yet. I assume you can do that for ATI as you van for NVidea?

Thanks for the feedback anyway.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Thanks for all the replies and I forgot all about the DX7 that run the program of Microsoft Train Simulator. As Derek said above that we will have to wait and see who will test this and know if it works or not.

John

Hi Geoff,
    According to the AMD website, the latest drivers (15.7 - 22/6/2015) support the HD 5000 series of graphics cards, so I don't think the driver version is the problem.

Cheers,
    Ged