Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Windows 10 support AMD graphic card in MSTS?

The fact that nVidia still works with MSTS in Win 8+ is probably a fluke. MS rates MSTS as, simply, Not Compatible with Windows 7 and higher, indicating that they have no interest in requiring (or some would even say allowing) video chip/driver providers to make their systems compatible with it. So the MSTS issues with AMD and Win 8 will certainly continue in Win 10, and eventually will occur with nVidia as well. In fact, I've gotten some strange MSTS failures (with error strings pointing at the video driver) recently even in Win 7 using the latest nVidia drivers - not consistently, but often enough to make me wonder if they're starting to lose it too.

If you really need to *run* MSTS (such as for the editors), not just run its routes and trains (in ORTS), you should be thinking about getting a paid, full (not upgrade) retail version of Win 10 so you can keep your (presumably retail, full or upgrade) Win 7 in a virtual machine for that specific use. The alternative is to keep an old computer with Win 7 (or even XP) around, disconnected from the Internet in the case of XP (and after 2020, Win 7), for your work involving MSTS editors and related products, then buying a new computer with Win 10 for other things; that works as long as nothing goes unrepairably wrong with the hardware. Beware of BIOS batteries and capacitors (especially in the power supply) in computers that aren't used frequently ... (voice of experience).

EDIT: If installing MSTS just for the support (global, routes, trains) files, intending to run using ORTS, is it necessary to complete the installation with the updates and BIN? Is it necessary to have the MSTS registry items set up? I ask mainly because some routes and trains do look in the registry for the MSTS folder location. So will, for instance, installation of Streamlines or 3dTS routes, or Dekosoft trains, fail if they can't find the MSTS registry items even if the standard directory structure and its contents are there? How about installations that create their own mini-routes, like PRR-ER and L&PS? This sounds like a case for making one, full, working, vetted package while still in Win 7 (get rid of all those little bugs that I've been ignoring all these years), then saving it someplace for restoration in the new system, registry or not. Likewise, getting the mandatory mini-routes fully patched (how many PRR-ER patches are there now?), working, and backed up.
    Last edited by mikeebb; 07-14-2015 at 01:23 PM.

Hi Mike,
    A couple of points :
    1. TSUnpack needs the presence of the MSTS Registry to "find" the installation.
    (Watch out! - here comes yet another shameless plug!!) As long as Open Rails is installed, my replacement program, APKExtractor, doesn't need the MSTS Registry entries to unpack apk files.

2. The Editors need the Registry entries for defining the various windows, etc.

Cheers,
    Ged

Does anybody know if Windows 10 will still allow the installation of DirectX9?? We know that this is done with Windows 7.

Edward K.

I read about this somewhere on the internet that Windows 10 will install DirectX12 beside the new operating system but I could be wrong. That's a good question about DirectX9. I am sure someone else can answer better than me.

John

My WIN-7 Pro 64-bit, i5, GTX 560Ti computer is using DX-11 and MS-FSX, MSTSBin, ORTS and DTG TS2015 are performing well !

In any case I am waiting for my friend Mike Simpson to report what he finds, updating one of his computers to WIN-10 at the moment, the most knowledgeable in computing I would trust !

Here's solution for AMD cards on Windows 8/8.1/10:
    • Copy atiumdag.dll from folder
      Windows\SysWOW64\ (on x64 system)
      Windows\System32 (on x86 system)
      into game folder
    • Download patcher - MSTS_AMD_BUGFIX.exe
    • Run patcher and patch atiumdag.dll
    • Play game

Or you can use already patched files from few driver versions - MSTS_atiumdag.7z
    You should use atiumdag.dll version that lower or equal than current installed driver version.
    For example, if you use Catalyst 14.8 then you can use atiumdag.dll from folders 14.4; 13.12; 13.4.
    Last edited by jackfuste; 10-29-2015 at 11:51 AM.

Want to say thank you for the file download but my question is where is that file goes to? I know it goes to AMD Catalyst 15.7 that what I have now in my desktop. But when I got into the folder of AMD Catalyst 15.7 and notice there are four folders with " Bin ", " Config ", "Images " and " Packages ". I know the last two folders are not for dll file but which one with the top two?

Thank you,

John

Quote Originally Posted by cn bala View Post
    Want to say thank you for the file download but my question is where is that file goes to? I know it goes to AMD Catalyst 15.7 that what I have now in my desktop. But when I got into the folder of AMD Catalyst 15.7 and notice there are four folders with " Bin ", " Config ", "Images " and " Packages ". I know the last two folders are not for dll file but which one with the top two?

Thank you,

John
    You can easy find atiumdag.dll from current installed Catalyst version in folder:
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiumdag.dll

If you want get this file from driver package, then you should extract it.
    Run command prompt as administrator and type:
    Code:
    expand C:\AMD\AMD-Catalyst-15.7-Without-DOTNet45-Win8.1-64bit\Packages\Drivers\Display\WB6A_INF\B186152\atiumdag.dl_ C:\atiumdag.dll
    After that you can find file at C:\atiumdag.dll

Quote Originally Posted by jackfuste View Post
    Here's solution for AMD cards on Windows 8/8.1/10:
    • Copy atiumdag.dll from folder
      Windows\SysWOW64\ (on x64 system)
      Windows\System32 (on x86 system)
      into game folder
    • Download patcher - MSTS_AMD_BUGFIX.exe
    • Run patcher and patch atiumdag.dll
    • Play game

Or you can use already patched files from few driver versions - MSTS_atiumdag.7z
    You should use atiumdag.dll version that lower or equal than current installed driver version.
    For example, if you use Catalyst 14.8 then you can use atiumdag.dll from folders 14.4; 13.12; 13.4.
    Jack,
    This is your first post on this forum and you failed to enter any personal information in your profile. How are we to trust that downloading and running an EXE file from an unknown source will not infect our PC? Why should we trust you?
    Charles

Hi jackfuste,
    Thank you for this "fix"

I have checked it with Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit using an AMD HD 7850 with drivers 15.200.1046.0 dated 22/06/2015.

I used the first option shown in your post - copy the dll from Windows into the MSTS root folder then run the Fix.

Although I haven't done any in-depth testing, MSTS, both the sim and editors, seem to start correctly.

Cheers,
    Ged