Thread: Compac Computer with Windows XP

Default Compac Computer with Windows XP

Hi
    Just picked up a Compac desktop with Windows XP and with no keyboard or mouse. I note that the connections for keyboard and mouse at the rear are the old PS2 connections I think. There are numerous USB connections abd I was wondering if plugging a new USB keyboard and mouse into those connections would be reconnised by the computer?
    Thanks in advance
    Mike
    New Zealand

If not, you can always get USB-to-PS2 adapters.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Thanks Niel, I should have thought of that solution!
    Mike

If it has USB ports, then USB keyboards and mice should be recognized, since USB is supposed to be "plug and play".

Haven't used XP in years, so my memory on that OS is quite...SHODDY....nowadays!

+2 for the USB-to-PS2 adapters. They're fairly cheap, and if you have friends who have built several computers they may have some in their junk boxes that you could take. Older computers often don't properly recognize keyboards and mice on USB ports.

Thanks for all the info. I run a laptop at the moment running Vista Home Premium and I have 80 Mini Routes on it. When someone offered me a Compac box I thought that would be a great place to run my MSTS routes. Just need to buy a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
    Mike

Have now purchased a PS2 keyboard & mouse for $5.00 each, so just to find a cheap monitor!
    Last edited by marcus1940; 07-17-2015 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Additional information

> ... cheap monitor!

Good or cheap? Since it's an old computer, it probably has only a standard VGA port, so some modern flat-panel monitors won't work (may only have DVI or HDMI). And CRTs are pretty much unobtainium used due to hazardous waste regulations in the U.S. and probably many other places (not to mention being big, heavy, and power hogs). Then, the computer may have limited resolution choices if it's motherboard video.

Around here, it's church rummage sale season and they DO accept older flat-panels; Goodwill and similar stores do, also. Check them - but also check the panel in the store if possible to be sure the backlight's still working OK and it doesn't have too many dead pixels.

Government agencies and some big companies hold occasional auctions of surplus equipment - worth checking out. However, again, beware of bad backlights and dead pixels if flat-panel monitors are more than 4-5 years old. And they usually don't have any way for you to check them before buying.

Then, of course, there are your friends who might have just built a monster gaming rig with big monitors (no, I don't have any who have done that recently; pity, since I run trailing edge technology and depend on being able to get stuff cheap or free that was good a generation or two back) - are they willing to part with an older (but still good) one?

Finally, clearance stores like Big Lots often have small HDTVs (20-25" diagonal sizes) that have VGA connectors for use as monitors. They're not great (usually 720p resolution at best) but may work, and are commonly $50-75 in the U.S. But why? The big boxes (Best Buy/Wal-Mart and the like) often have brand-new low-end "business" type monitors for less than $100 - which have much better resolution capability that the little TVs. And if you buy new, and get a dud (infant mortality is still a problem in really cheap LCD screens), you should be able to exchange it.
    Last edited by mikeebb; 07-17-2015 at 01:48 PM.

Thanks mikeebb for that info and will try some of the outlets you suggest. I just realised my son-in-law has been building several large gaming machines and he may have an spare monitor sitting around.
    Mike

Son-in-law has now come up with a monitor but no cables. Still cables are next to nothing cost so it looks as though all systems will be go soon.
    Last edited by marcus1940; 07-18-2015 at 04:12 AM.