Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So what are the current sources for DEM now?

Default So what are the current sources for DEM now?

With the back door now closed and the National Map Viewer not working anymore, What is the option for the DEM we use in Demex? Seems most DEM is now payware?

Most of the old favorites do not seem to be of any use these days.

http://seamless.usgs.gov/

http://www.gisdatadepot.com

http://www.mapmart.com

Who has what DEM stored?

Robert
    Last edited by NW 2156; 07-23-2015 at 08:31 PM.

If you frequebt Elvas there is a DEM related thread in the route design forum.

I frequent ElvasTower but the mentioned thread is pretty nebulous. It basically confirms that USGS is no longer working
    with DEMEX but they do recommend a open source program to convert other types of data that can be obtained from
    USGS and converted to the geotiff format required by DEMEX. I hope the OpenRails folks are noticing this as well and
    perhaps down the road, they will incorporate terrain extraction into their future editor.

Meanwhile, the recommended program is QGIS which is available from www.QGIS.org which appears to be in Europe
    but which has English on the website. It is a large download but went pretty quickly. I downloaded the 64bit version
    which is abut 350Mbt for the installer. I have not installed it yet.

I have DEM data (seamless) for more than the routes I will likely ever do (I'm 76) which includes better versions of
    the KP and BR Subs. of CSX, the Big Sandy south are of C&O, EK division of the L&N(CSX), Camas Prairie, Milwaukee
    Road northern Montana line and 2nd Sub. of the Coast Div. These have all be extracted and backed up on DVDs.

J. H. Sullivan

Jerry, we've been talking about different options for terrain import for a while on the dev team. We'd love to talk to John Stanford and see if he had any interest in donating the source code for Demex to the project, but since he's still getting income from it, my guess is he wouldn't be too inclined to part with that income stream just yet.

As for what's archived... I know that a few of us did mad dashes on the USGS site when the first hints came out that it was going away.

Somewhere, I have an app that would read a directory full of DEM to create a KML image of what's there and what isn't...
    Last edited by eolesen; 07-24-2015 at 06:20 PM.

Well, if the program's ability to download data is indeed at the bumper post, so would his income stream be, too.

I'm not convinced it's a done deal. I've been emailing USGS with screenshots of the error, and they've responded. Let's see if they act.

Eolesen,

I don't know how you would get in touch with John, but I doubt he is getting much, if any, income from the program now.
    Besides, if I am not wrong, he is an officer with one of the larger railroads in the Midwest, BNSF I believe. In any case he
    has always answered questions put to him, most recently concerning how to load DEMEX on a Win-7 machine which I
    followed and voila it worked. Of course I have a user license for DEMEX that I paid for at least 10 years ago.

The fellow that created "Jumper" is another possible contact. He has moved on to creating similar extraction software
    like DEMEX for Railworks.

When I heard it might go away, I too downloaded all I could think I might ever use and I have it stored away on DVDs
    which while not the most stable medium, they will probably "outlive" me. In addition to my earlier comments, I have
    data for the CSX "J" line and all of it's branches, the western end of the Southern "S" line, the CSX "H" line, and a few
    other odds and ends. Most recently I got the data for the SanLuis & Rio Grande for which I have completed tracks and
    most roads. Detailing it ought to not be much problem, it is all agricultural except the part over LaVeta Pass and the
    western end of the line to Creede.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)

Eolesen,

I assume you meant the OpenRails development team. I have to say that is an awesome piece of work. Very good at handling
    the odd errors too. I have Simon Van de Laak's route which he is unable to complete and there is a issue on the NP heading
    into Ellesburg where the MSTS program just crashes to desktop, but OpenRails does not flinch at that spot. I am suspicious
    that it might be related to a problem we originally had with the Pensacola line that one of my Florida colleagues put together
    and I am going to look that up and see if it is present in the MCOA1 (Milwaukee Road, Coast Division, 1st Sub.) route too.

J. H. Sullivan

Jerry, Can you explain why Simon cannot complete the Milw route? Also what happened to Lucas and his Milw work?

I am hoping maybe QGIS is not the only usable program for the conversion. I hope maybe someone can confirm whether GVSIG can be used or not? I hate to install a large program for the 0.1% we need for DEM conversion.

Robert
    Last edited by NW 2156; 07-24-2015 at 10:40 PM.

I've used VTBuilder to convert IMG's to TIFF, which can be opened with Demex

http://vterrain.org/Doc/VTBuilder/overview.html