Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: So what are the current sources for DEM now?

I have used VTBuilder for the last few years to convert ArcGIS data, when the USGS.gov site had it,
    into .tiff files that were read, no problem, with DEMEX. However, VTBuilder will read the new
    geotiff format that is the only thing available now on the USGS site but when you try to export it
    to something else, VTB crashes. So I tried QGis and it will do the conversion but that is a huge
    program, and as I said, it has dozens of tools we likely will never use - or maybe understand for
    that matter. I haven't tried 3Dem yet.

J. H. Sullivan

Quote Originally Posted by landnrailroader View Post
    geotiff format that is the only thing available now on the USGS site but when you try to export it
    to something else, VTB crashes.
    This is interesting because I just exported back to .tiff file and it successfully wrote file.
    Todd
    Iowa Chicago and Eastern Mason City Sub

Todd,

You may have run it as "administrator". I had not been doing that, assuming that I was the administrator.
    So I just downloaded a raw file, and ran VTB as administrator. It worked, so we are back in business until
    USGS does it to us again. I am doing a backup of a route in progress and when that finishes, I want to
    move the modified file (also a .tif file, just without tiling, I hope) to where DEMEX can see it and test that,
    but it will probably work. QGIS does it quite well but that is tons of useless stuff to do a small thing, sort
    of like using a sledge hammer to drive a carpet tack.

Okay, I just imported the resulting file into DEMEX with no problem, so I would guess the solution is to
    always run VTB as administrator. As someone else said, many of these programs were originally done
    for Win-XP, which for our purposes, I consider far superior to Win-7. I don't have Win-10 yet.

J. H. Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan
    Last edited by landnrailroader; 05-02-2020 at 06:21 PM.

I guess I am just not as lucky to get it to work the way you guys are getting it to work. I loaded VTB as the adminstator. However, now I can just simply click and drag as I could before. However, I can import as normal by the normal way of clicking import layer, finding the file and clicking it in. Then as I go to export, it gives the typical error and crashes.

Seems like I've always had trouble with these programs while everyone else managed to work with them with no troubles at all..
    https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png

Loading it, or installing it as administrator is not the ticket, may not even matter. What does matter is
    to launch the program as administrator. Just go into the properties of the desktop icon that you click
    to launch the program. In the properties, there is a checkbox for "run as administrator". Click that and
    down at the bottom, hit "apply". That may be enough, but even so, when I launch the program, I select
    "run as administrator". Now also make sure that you have read/write access to whatever folder the
    exported files are going to.

But then what worked flawlessly yesterday does not today. Downloaded 8 files for a projected future
    route and ran VTB exactly as I did yesterday and bang, crashed immediately when I tried to export
    the file. What I had done was export the file with the same name as the input, but with dmx added
    to the end of the name. No Go. So I gave it an entirely new name, kentucky01 since the projected
    route will be the L&N Kentucky Division main, Cincinatti to Corbin. Worked like a charm, took about
    3 or 4 seconds to process & export the file - go figure.

J. H. Sullivan
    Last edited by landnrailroader; 05-03-2020 at 04:57 PM.

Did that, and now I get. "Could not allocate a floating-point elevation grid of size 10812 x 10812 (445MB)"

Some how got passed that, but now get the "error - cannot export file"

This is just frustrating...
    Last edited by CSRX; 05-03-2020 at 05:47 PM.

Shawn,

You will get that error, if you attempt to load in another elevation file. What I have found is this, and all 8 files I
    mentioned, did fine.

1. You must run the program as administrator. Now I have Win-7, but I ass/e/me win-10 would do the same.

2. You must load only one elevation file and then export it to a different named geotiff file. Since I was getting
    data for the Kentucky division & there were 8 files, I just named them kentucky01, kentucky02 etc.

3. After a successful export, get out of VTB, and then restart it, again as administrator.

4. Do another geotiff file.

5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 until all geotiff files are processed.

I found that DEMEX read my 8 files fine. Now Demex on my machine has not shown
    which tiles were updated in a couple of years now, but it is otherwise okay. That is
    the tile pattern does not show the letters it once did to indicate what was done, but
    it still will tell you that xxx files of zzz files were updated.

However, when I sent into MSRE I found that not all terrain that should have been
    generated had been, and while I would expect a large stairstep at the edge of the
    route, I noticed smaller ones in the terrain. This may mean that processing the
    tiled geotiff data from USGS does not produce the really clean geotiff file of old,
    so that would mean having to use the .hgt data which is not such high resolution.
    Maybe some others among us will play with this until we can get a definitive
    answer.

J. H. Sullivan
    Last edited by landnrailroader; 05-03-2020 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Demex issue

So I got it to behave, sort of. However, I get this error once again when exporting as a GeoTiff.

So I hit retry, closing out the program normally after it "exports" or so it seems. I load it up in DEMEX, and nothing but black.

I really don't understand this at all and why I am running into these problems. It's unfortunate USGS keeps changing it's ways.

I don't know, it works for me, but maybe Win-10 is an issue if that is what you have. I know that
    I am trying to set up everything I figure I will need for the rest of my days before I get forced
    onto Win-10 sometime this summer.

I only get that error, when I have not completely gotten out of VTB and then restarted it as
    administrator, but when I do get it, I also get the black file too.

J. H. Sullivan

Quote Originally Posted by landnrailroader View Post
    I don't know, it works for me, but maybe Win-10 is an issue if that is what you have. I know that
    I am trying to set up everything I figure I will need for the rest of my days before I get forced
    onto Win-10 sometime this summer.

I only get that error, when I have not completely gotten out of VTB and then restarted it as
    administrator, but when I do get it, I also get the black file too.

J. H. Sullivan
    I'm using Windows 8.