Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So what are the current sources for DEM now?

Rowie, Thanks for the link. I have not seen that program before. VTBuilder looks like a neat little package that might just be the ticket to solving this dilemma.

Robert

No worries Robert,

I found the link in this thread:

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...ight=vtbuilder

a few weeks ago. Click the IMP button, select Elevation then the file, let it do it's thing. Then go Elevation - Export to.. - Geotiff

Too easy

It is a personal, family issue and he just doesn't have time to do everything so he asked me to complete
    the route. I am in fairly regular contact with Lukas and I have tested the RMD-West and told him that it
    looked ready to me, so I guess he is fine tuning it a bit. We know of some issues with antique automobiles
    whose .s files do not compress correctly with RouteRiter, so those have to be re-inserted after the compression.

I am completing the MCOA1 which was about 90% complete anyway, leaving only the relatively unpopulated
    canyons. I have completed the necessary roads/highways (we all have "simmed" the period prior to I-90
    messing up things), and the Yakima River. The plan is that when I am done, I will release the route, complete
    to just above Selah, WA and then Lukas will deal with that community and Yakima as well as including the
    Yakima Traction operation (now abandoned mostly) and release either a second full version or an update. I
    expect to release my work (and the 90% that is Simon's) early next year.

J. H. Sullivan

Was just about to reply till I saw Rowie's reply above. VTBuilder is definitely the way to go, it is how I have Demex'ed a good ten routes or so over the past couple years, no problems at all! Honestly, I think it might be worth putting together a "sticky" thread with a brief tutorial on how to use the VTBuilder workaround since Demexed terrain has become almost a necessity to a realistic route!
    ~Sean Kelly~

MRL Mullan Pass for ORTS
    https://www.trainsimulations.net/Pro...LLAN_ORTS.HTML

It may not be all hi-res but this site will take care of the basic needs:

http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/dem3.html
    Vern.

Maybe VTBuilder could become a MSTS utility in some fashion? The code is open source after all. Hint to the Open Rails gang.

Robert

Smile Create a sticky on VTBuilder-----

Quote Originally Posted by PerryPlatypus View Post
    Was just about to reply till I saw Rowie's reply above. VTBuilder is definitely the way to go, it is how I have Demex'ed a good ten routes or so over the past couple years, no problems at all! Honestly, I think it might be worth putting together a "sticky" thread with a brief tutorial on how to use the VTBuilder workaround since Demexed terrain has become almost a necessity to a realistic route!
    Well Sean, since you have done several routes with it, how about you doing a tutorial, or just a text file on how to use
    it. I believe there are also some issues mentioned about using it on Win/Vista, so it would be nice to have some
    instructions about installing it on Win-7, and perhaps Win-10 as we may soon be forced, kicking and screaming,
    on to that platform.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)

Jerry, Do you know anything about this supposedly easy to use GIS program? http://www.gvsig.com/en/products/gvsig-desktop Just wondering if you guys used anything similar at CSX?

Robert

VTBuilder is pretty fairly straight forward once you figure out how to download the IMG files. It's just a matter of importing the elevation data, letting it render, and then exporting to a GeoTiff.

Once those are done, open up the GeoTiff in Demex, and create the standard or distant terrain per normal.

Where there's a need for a tutorial is on how to download IMG files from the National Map Viewer...

Also to mention this site (linked from Viewfinder) though it appears to be down as often as it's available...

http://rmw.recordist.com/
    Vern.