Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So what are the current sources for DEM now?

I got a response from USGS today, and they do have GeoTiff available from http://www.mrlc.gov/viewerjs/

The base server name changed as well, which is why Demex isn't working. I've asked USGS if they'd consider a redirect or alias from the old server address. Failing that, anyone know how to use a hex editor?....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately GeoTiff data from MRLC and DEMEX doesn't get along well. Pulled data from the website this morning and promptly pulls up "Can not read scanlines from a tiled image. " If you do pull data , you will have to send it through VTbuilder.
    Last edited by cnwfan; 07-28-2015 at 11:06 AM.
    Todd
    Iowa Chicago and Eastern Mason City Sub

I have (had) been using MRLC to access the GEO-TIFF data but that has acquired a new server after being "down" for a couple of weeks.
    Data downloads but when you try to access it you get the error: " Cannot read scanlines to tiled image." Another deadend.

Quote Originally Posted by jkcooney View Post
    I have (had) been using MRLC to access the GEO-TIFF data but that has acquired a new server after being "down" for a couple of weeks.
    Data downloads but when you try to access it you get the error: " Cannot read scanlines to tiled image." Another deadend.
    Did you read my reply above?
    Todd

I can confirm that the large GIS program GVSIG can be used for converting data. But, A good tutorial by someone with far more knowledge is needed.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    I can confirm that the large GIS program GVSIG can be used for converting data. But, A good tutorial by someone with far more knowledge is needed.

Robert
    VTbuilder is simple and user friendly.
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by cnwfan View Post
    Unfortunately GeoTiff data from MRLC and DEMEX doesn't get along well. Pulled data from the website this morning and promptly pulls up "Can not read scanlines from a tiled image. " If you do pull data , you will have to send it through VTbuilder.
    Yes I read this and went to VTBuilder but as someone has noted below... it takes a lot more patience than I have at this point in my life.
    Steep learning curve there.
    jc

Its not step once you get the hang of it.. just download the data unzip hit the imp button choose elevation choose DEM data choose you elevation on your drop down menu export to -GeoTiff and hit ok your done, couldn't be simpler and easy to use! Somewhere else either in this thread or another there was a post on how to use VTbuilder.
    Todd

I will give it a go. Will download VTBuilder. Thanks

Got it and got it working. Thanks so much for your help. This used to be much easier task before
    the USGS and the National Map Service decided to "Improve their Service"... so much for government
    efficiency. VT Builder offers a bunch of other things but this is what I truly wanted.... thanks again.
    J. Cooney