Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: So what are the current sources for DEM now?

Quote Originally Posted by Coonskin View Post
    Todd:

Have you tried using VT Builder since the USGS has again changed their tif format? I have read VT can on longer convert current USGS tif's into a DEMEX usable format.

Just did this just now. So we can still use this program .
    Todd
    Iowa Chicago and Eastern Mason City Sub

Robert:

I clicked the link to take a look. Tried to do their 1, 2, 3 step and it hung on "2 Continue", and after several minutes never produced the next step.

Todd:

Thanks for your input. Making sure I understand...

1. You downloaded a current patch of USGS pre-formatted tiff DEM from the USGS site.

2. You ran it through VTB to convert it to geotif.

3. DEMEX loaded the converted DEM.

Reason I ask to make sure I'm understanding is because I think I recall fellow route builder Jerry Sullivan's install of VTB was not able to produce DEMEX usable DEM.

If the above is "yup, that's what I did", then about the only thing left would be if VTB can slice the huge USGS DEM (which are right at 500 megs each) into quarter portions or similar.

Robert:

I clicked the link to take a look. Tried to do their 1, 2, 3 step and it hung on "2 Continue", and after several minutes never produced the next step.

Todd:

Thanks for your input. Making sure I understand...

1. You downloaded a current patch of USGS pre-formatted tiff DEM from the USGS site.

2. You ran it through VTB to convert it to geotif.

3. DEMEX loaded the converted DEM.

Reason I ask to make sure I'm understanding is because I think I recall fellow route builder Jerry Sullivan's install of VTB was not able to produce DEMEX usable DEM.

If the above is "yup, that's what I did", then about the only thing left would be if VTB can slice the huge USGS DEM (which are right at 500 megs each) into quarter portions or similar.

Correct, Only thing is that you just slide the downloaded patch into the program now, the import feature does not work with latest offerings of the national map.
    Todd

Ah, so VT's "Import" function doesn't read/handle the new UGSG tiff format, so you "click/drag" the USGS tiff into the working screen of VTB as a work around?

Can VTB crop/save the larger USGS image into smaller square/rectangular patches?

Appreciate your input. Still trying to decide how to proceed with working with today's USGS DEM.

Ah, so VT's "Import" function doesn't read/handle the new UGSG tiff format, so you "click/drag" the USGS tiff into the working screen of VTB as a work around?

Can VTB crop/save the larger USGS image into smaller square/rectangular patches?

Appreciate your input. Still trying to decide how to proceed with working with today's USGS DEM.
    Yes the import doesn't read /Handle,Yes click and drag into the main screen it should work.
    That I can't answer but merger of two selections in DEMEX can not handle it
    Todd

Todd,

I've not messed with it personally. I just remembered the program from a discussion on ET.

The download link for 3Dem is here https://freegeographytools.com/3dem_setup.exe

The green buttons on the site that want you to click should be ignored.

Robert

I've Tried VTBuilder as Todd mentioned. Drag and Drop doesn't seem to work.
    Tried 3dem as well. Crashes every time I try to load the .tif.

Well, this is fun..
    https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png

Depending on version ? Have 1.52 June '13 build.
    Robert, was responding to Andre ... not you!
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by cnwfan View Post
    1.52 June '13 build.
    Yep, I have the same one. Doesn't seem like it wants to even export. Oh well, Guess I am stuck using the low quality hgst's that TSRE provides...
    https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png

Did you setup the program to run as Administrator? If you don't give VTBuilder or 3Dem higher priority in windows, it tends to screw up and not work. These programs date from the XP era if I'm not mistaken.

Right click on VTBuilder to bring up the properties window. Go over to compatibility and check "Run this program as an administrator". You might also have to run in compatibility mode for XP or Vista.

I've ran into the above on Windows 7 when installing both programs. M$ and their ways can be a royal pita!

Robert