Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435

Thread: MSTS on Windows 10 - Confirmed

Hi Peter,
    I can assure you they did not have the file.

Yes, they do ! All AMD drivers that you're likely to use have the file, even the very latest ones, otherwise, how do you think the BugFix would work?
    If it was there,presumably MSTS would run

No, sir! You must use the AMD BugFix to patch the file before MSTS will run.
    The fact is that the atiumdag.dll exists in both driver folders in the AMD folder on the C drive but MSTS will still not run.

The AMD folder is only a 'holding' area for the unpacker to place the files that the installer reads to actually install the drivers into their correct folders within the main Windows folder. You must patch the file in the AMD folder before the installer grabs it!

Cheers,
    Ged

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

So how do I do this with the graphics card drivers that are already installed ?

Hi Peter,
    It's likely that trying to re-install the drivers over the same ones already installed will not be successful, so you've got a couple of options :

1. Using Device Manager, roll back to the previous version of the drivers, if it's available,
    or
    2. Uninstall the drivers. (I'm not running my AMD PC, but believe you'll find an entry in the Control Panel > Programs & Features list)

Then, in either case, go to the C:\AMD folder and delete any folders there.

Assuming you've already downloaded the Windows 10 15.7.1 drivers, follow the AMD BugFix instructions.

Cheers,
    Ged

I called the UK AMD tech support line today and they are reading this thread and will come back to me with a solution....hopefully !!!
    Last edited by ragtimer; 08-21-2018 at 06:53 AM.

Hi Peter,
    I wish you the best of luck! You're going to need it - do you think AMD are going to approve/support software which hacks any of their files? It could well be that Jack Fuste will be firmly requested to withdraw BugFix; there are shades here of "cutting off your nose to spite your face". I really hope it doesn't come to that.

Several members here have successfully achieved what you seem to find so difficult to do.

Cheers,
    Ged

The other thing to remember is that MSTS is officially (at least since Windows 7, if not Vista) "incompatible" software according to Microsoft. So there's no requirement for anybody to support it. AMD could (and if they are thinking like good corporate drones, would) play that card. My main concern is that, having been notified that there is a hacking-type fix (even if it's using their own components) for the problem, they will actively work to block it. Best case scenario, though, would be that they incorporate the bugfix as a shim for MSTS in their official drivers.

Those of us who have not switched to ORTS may consider ourselves fortunate that at least nVidia GPUs still work using unmodified drivers with MSTS.

BTW, I don't think the hack is required for use of AMD graphics with Open Rails. Standard drivers work with it.

Got this chocolate teapot reply :After investigating the pointed out forum thread, we have to inform you that the game in question "MS Train Simulator" unfortunately is not compatible with Windows 10. For further clarification you can check in Microsoft Compatibility Center provided in the link below.https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...patCenter/Home
    But we also investigated any possible workaround for you. Here are some tips you can try out in order to run the game on your Windows 10 PC anyway.

• This 3rd party installation guide seems very complete, explaining deeply how you can make MSTS work on Windows 10 systems. You use this guide at your own risk, as AMD is not the developer of this software nor of your operating system.
    • You could install Windows 7 on a 2nd hdd partition and boot Windows 7 if you want to run MSTS.
    • You could install a so called virtual machine inside your Windos 10 installation, where you can instal a virtual Windows 7 and instal there MSTS. For this you need additional 3rd party software, which you would use at your own risk.
    • On a MS forum thread users point to an alternative Train Simulator software supporting Windows 10 and is compatible with the files from the MSTS, it seems. This Information you can find from user Nicolas FSX here

No matter,if I really feel the need to run it on a 10 machine,I shall invest in an nVidia card.My interest in MSTS on 10 is over.

Quote Originally Posted by ragtimer View Post
    Got this chocolate teapot reply :After investigating the pointed out forum thread, we have to inform you that the game in question "MS Train Simulator" unfortunately is not compatible with Windows 10. For further clarification you can check in Microsoft Compatibility Center provided in the link below.https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...patCenter/Home
    But we also investigated any possible workaround for you. Here are some tips you can try out in order to run the game on your Windows 10 PC anyway.

• This 3rd party installation guide seems very complete, explaining deeply how you can make MSTS work on Windows 10 systems. You use this guide at your own risk, as AMD is not the developer of this software nor of your operating system.
    • You could install Windows 7 on a 2nd hdd partition and boot Windows 7 if you want to run MSTS.
    • You could install a so called virtual machine inside your Windos 10 installation, where you can instal a virtual Windows 7 and instal there MSTS. For this you need additional 3rd party software, which you would use at your own risk.
    • On a MS forum thread users point to an alternative Train Simulator software supporting Windows 10 and is compatible with the files from the MSTS, it seems. This Information you can find from user Nicolas FSX here

No matter,if I really feel the need to run it on a 10 machine,I shall invest in an nVidia card.My interest in MSTS on 10 is over.
    That's actually quite a well-thought-out and articulate response, if it's from AMD. I would not have expected them to actually review what's in this thread and a few other spots, and turn it into a bullet list. Kudos!

Based on personal experience, I might offer that their 3rd option - use Win7 in a VM - doesn't work. MSTS simply does not work in virtual machines unless the VM provides a modern graphics card emulation. None that I know of do that.

Bottom line, though, is that using MSTS in *any* modern version of Windows is going to take a little hacking because, as the response pointed out up front, MSTS is NOT COMPATIBLE with modern Windows (even Windows 7). So some work and understanding on your part is necessary if you want to use it, and the process is not automated. That's still the case with nVidia graphics; the only difference there is that you should not have system-level driver issues. The only alternative that's (mostly) install-and-run in Windows 10 is Open Rails (for MSTS route and trainset compatibility) or one of the commercial sims.

I would like to commend Ged for his patience and perseverance in trying to help someone who:
    - seems to want things to not work so that he can continue complaining
    - does not take the advice provided
    - makes derogatory comments about someone trying to be helpful and provide useful advice
    - does not answer questions about his set-up or what steps he has taken
    - blames everyone else for the fact that he cannot get things to work (see also a much earlier thread about Route-Riter and another more recent thread about Open Rails)

Well done Ged!