Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread: MSTS on Windows 10 - Confirmed

The only hitch with the offline file is that it's a self-extracting archive, which will expand all its contents -- .cab files and installer .dll's -- loose into whatever folder you happen to have it in. So if you double-click it on the desktop, it will dump all the extracted files loose on the desktop and make a mess.

Put it in a folder and double-click it to keep everything neatly contained. Then find the actual installer (DXSETUP.exe) in the files it extracted and run that. It will copy all the extracted files to where Windows needs them. A little cumbersome, but it works.

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

A little clarification on (ultra)wide and or high-resolution screens and graphics...

More and more laptops and desktops are coming equipped with high-resolution screens, many of which are also "ultrawide" aspect ratios beyond 16:9. When you start up MSTS with your graphics set to your monitor's native "recommended" resolution, MSTS will immediately crash back to the desktop. This isn't just a Win10 problem -- it's another case of technology marching on far beyond anything MSTS was programmed to handle.

MSTS will crash if the desktop resolution in Windows is set above 1600 x 1200 when BIN is installed. Even less with plain-vanilla MSTS.

If you've upgraded to a new high-resolution monitor or a new laptop, try setting your desktop resolution in Windows to something less than 1600 x 1200 and then try launching MSTS. This may be all it takes to get it working again on a new or upgraded system. You can play with the Windows desktop display settings to find what works for you as far as resolution and aspect ratio. Unfortunately, you'll have to do this anytime you want to run MSTS.

Windows 10, at least, generally remembers the locations of all your desktop icons when it switches resolutions. Older versions often don't -- so the annoyance factor may vary.

MSTS-Roundhouse

Info

In addition to Eric's post: running MSTS windowed (-vm:w) or using the compatibility setting "Run in 640x480 screen resolution" works too. The compatibility setting only applies to the in-game menu, the game will still switch to the configured resolution when loading a route.

Running in 1600x1200 on a 16:10 monitor works particularly well with GPU scaling to maintain the 3:4 aspect ratio.

The compatibility mode setting may work for some situations, however when I changed to a 3440 x 1440 monitor it didn't.

At some point MSTS seems to fall apart with high pixel counts. This problem might also show up with 4K monitors which might have more normal aspect ratios, but extremely high native resolutions. Running windowed forces MSTS to a specific resolution so it should continue to work fine, although the view might seem small on high-dpi monitors -- that's why keeping full-screen working is handy, and why fixes to make the RE run in larger window sizes are important.

MSTS-Roundhouse

Info

Quote Originally Posted by EricF View Post
    MSTS will crash if the desktop resolution in Windows is set above 1600 x 1200 when BIN is installed. Even less with plain-vanilla MSTS.

If you've upgraded to a new high-resolution monitor or a new laptop, try setting your desktop resolution in Windows to something less than 1600 x 1200 and then try launching MSTS. This may be all it takes to get it working again on a new or upgraded system. You can play with the Windows desktop display settings to find what works for you as far as resolution and aspect ratio. Unfortunately, you'll have to do this anytime you want to run MSTS.
    Also, for those with Intel graphics (and I'm sure something similar for Nvidia), one can configure it to switch resolutions automatically when a program (for example: train.exe) runs.

Anyone been brave enough to try the Fall Creators Update yet?

Quote Originally Posted by markyisri View Post
    Anyone been brave enough to try the Fall Creators Update yet?
    No, and probably not for a while. I only got the spring update (1703) around Labor Day (beginning of September) for my old computers, and mid-August for the tablet. So I don't expect to see the FCU until at least the end of the year, maybe even February.

That said, the upgrade to 1703 was fairly painless on all the computers including the old ones (a 2007-era Core2 Extreme desktop with nVidia 750ti and 8G RAM, and a 2009-era laptop with i5, Intel graphics, and 4G RAM). Did have to crawl through all the settings again to fix what was reset to default and address what's new. And I use the term "upgrade" advisedly; Windows 10 "feature updates" that come about twice a year are at least what used to be called "service packs" and are essentially new versions of the operating system. That's why there's a limited time to roll them back if something doesn't work; test thoroughly as soon as it arrives.

Be aware that if you have to roll back, or can no longer accept a feature update, due to hardware incompatibility or lack of current drivers, you may need to buy a new computer soon. MS supports Windows 10 for the "supported lifetime of the device" - as long as the manufacturer provides driver and other support for the hardware. In practice, that means support other than security patches ends a year or so after release of the first feature update you can't take due to lack of OEM support. Officially, Windows 10 is supported for the usual 5 years full and 5 years security after release, but for 10 that's counted from RTM (7/2015) and is not extended for each feature update aka service pack. For mobile devices (byby Windows Phone), all support for 1511 (the last version that was widely distributed to Windows Phones) - support policy is 3 years from release, period.

So far, the only devices that have officially run afoul of the OEM support thing are some Atom tablets that use an Intel chip with 3rd-party graphics elements; drivers for it were incompatible with, and Intel could not update them for, the Creators Update in March 2016, so the end-of-support clock started ticking in July 2016 (the last feature update they could take). MS did agree to extend security updates for 5 years instead of the usual 2-and-change. But they didn't have to do that - it was out of the goodness of their corporate heart.

Note a term of art in MS' policy: "A device may not be able to receive updates if the device hardware is incompatible, lacking current drivers, or otherwise outside of the Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (“OEM”) support period. " Check out that last item. Essentially any Intel processor older than about 4th Gen i-series is officially out of the "interactive support" period for Intel. MS could argue that such chips are outside of the OEM support period and end support of Win10 on them at any time. So far they haven't, and so far Intel drivers (mostly) work in the latest Windows release, but ... once they don't work (which you will only know by following the nerd news or by noticing that you seem to have skipped an entire semi-annual upgrade cycle with nothing new arriving) you're counting down. The 10-year commitment no longer applies; at most, you get 5 from when the last release that worked came out, and usually 2 or so. After that, ALL Windows support ends including security updates and you either need to go Linux entirely or need to buy a new computer that MS (and Intel/AMD/whatever hardware you're using) still supports if you want to keep getting updates. Those of us with olde stuff are on borrowed time with Win10.

BTW, Win8.1 goes into "extended" support, getting only security patches, in 2018. End of all support is in 2023. And note (links below) that Windows RTM (1507) and November Update (1511) are both already out of support - no longer get updates.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search/
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...as-quick-start
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...pport-for-2018
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...b-july-27-2017
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...for-cb-and-cbb

I'm going to manually update my tablet soon to test it out. Will roll back if it doesn't work.

Windows 10 "feature updates" that come about twice a year are at least what used to be called "service packs" and are essentially new versions of the operating system. That's why there's a limited time to roll them back if something doesn't work; test thoroughly as soon as it arrives.
    My thoughts exactly!

Didn't work for me. I have an amd graphics card. (

you need to install a patch to bring it to ver 1.4 first.

Here is the link address:

http://msts.steam4me.net/MSTS_Updates/index.html