Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: MSTS on Windows 10 - Confirmed

Cool MSTS on Windows 10 - Confirmed

For the curious, MSTS does indeed install and run on Windows 10.

Tested on a Core2 Duo laptop with Intel Mobile 945 graphics. (Yes, it's an old machine, but Windows 10 installed and runs surprisingly fast on it.)

I installed from original disks, using the normal process on Steam4Me. Some notes:
    • Disk 2, which has gotten reports of problems in recent years, installed flawlessly. In fact, the disk spun up to full speed and stayed there for the rest of the install. Under Win7, the disk would only read at a very slow speed.
    • Steam4Me process recommends using TweakUAC to put UAC in "Quiet" mode. The updated version that supports Windows 8 also works fine in Windows 10. Steam4Me site has a link.
    • I ran the official MS update and content updates as usual on a new install.
    • I ran the DirectX Redistributable from Micorosft -- this drops the complete DX9 & legacy support libraries that are newer than what the MSTS installer drops. Don't expect a modern MS OS to have all of them -- Win10 focuses on DX10, 11, and now 12.
    • Set MSTS shortcut to "Run as Administrator" (Don't forget this!)
    • Ran MProfile.exe to be safe. (It runs directly or from Launcher.exe just fine.)
    • Ran MSTS. (Intro movie popped up an ran fine, annoying as ever...)
    • Went into settings, clicked button to reset key layout to defaults (just in case...) and maxed out all sliders for sound and video.
    • Ran a train in explore mode on default routes. Everything worked! Although the primitive graphics on the default routes hurt the eyes...
    • Upon closing MSTS the first time, Windows popped up a message to ask if the application ran OK or not. Click option that it ran OK, and it won't come back again.
    • Copied my backed-up full MSTS installation, complete with BIN patch and modern content and over-wrote the fresh install, then re-ran MSTS. (Tested Surfliner 2 and Monon routes.) Started up and ran fine!
    • Route Editor and Activity Editor launch with no issues.
    • Frame rates look the same as they were on the same machine under Windows 7.

Don't be alarmed by the "Program Compatibility Assistant" message that pops up after closing MSTS on the first run. Just click the option that it ran OK and it won't bother you again. I noticed it returned the first time I ran another instance of MSTS for a mini-route, so it may appear one time per instance of Train.exe if you have mini-routes. Not a big deal, really. Just feed Windows what it wants to know and it will stay out of your way.

Your mileage may vary, but it looks good so far!

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

Hi Eric.
    Good news indeed!
    Maybe Eric's post could be stickied here and possibly as an addendum to the Steam4Me Install Tutorial page?

Thank you very much for taking the time to format and post this.
    choochoo!

Indeed, thanks Eric!
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Outstanding information, Eric. Very thorough and easy to follow. 'Course, now comes the tricky part for me -- putting 10 on my new laptop where Open Rails and MSTS are already installed. Open Rails is backed up and my MSTS discs are in good shape, so I'm not worried about losing anything. If, as you stated in another thread, a Windows 10 install shouldn't bother stuff outside the program files, then I should be good to go. But, I'm still gonna sweat it...

Uncle E
    Whatever's cold in my fridge is the Official Beer of Open Rails.

When doing an in-place upgrade, Windows 10 appears to be more thorough than ever at making sure all files are properly handled during the upgrade and the Registry is correctly migrated. What I don't have a good handle on, though, is how it will handle "incompatible" software. If you check Microsoft's compatibility list, MSTS has been listed as "incompatible" at least since Win7, if not Vista. I don't know if the compatibility is based on just checking the list, or if it looks for specific Registry entries and DLLs that really are known to cause problems. I did a clean install of Windows 10, so it started with no installed programs at all -- therefore I don't know what it would do if it found MSTS during an upgrade. Hopefully others who choose to "take the plunge" will add their results!

My install is just one outcome, and it's using fairly standard and very basic hardware. I hope we'll hear from folks with AMD processors, AMD/ATI video etc. as time goes on. The more reports we get, the more info we can compile into a useful updated guide.

Bottom line, I think if you're using Win7 and happy with how your setup is running, there's no need to rush in just yet unless you want to experiment. On the other hand, folks stuck with Win8 who can't "downgrade" to Win7 might like the Win10 environment a little better.

At any rate, although the upgrade process is extremely reliable, I'd still recommend you back up everything before upgrading an operating system. I kind of did the ultimate backup -- I changed the hard drive in my computer. The old Win7 hard drive is in a USB portable drive enclosure so I can plug it back into the machine to browse through and copy whatever I want. I installed a new hard drive in the computer and installed Windows 10 on the blank drive. Well, actually I did this: Install Windows 7 from disk on the blank drive and activate it with the same key as the old drive. Then install Windows 10 as an upgrade and let it activate. After that, I booted the computer with the Win10 installation media, wiped out the old install and made a fresh install from scratch. Just like Microsoft promises, it activated right away. Now it's just a matter of making fresh instals of software and pulling data back in from the old hard drive. If you can spare a little cash to buy a new hard drive, this is a great way to give a machine a fresh start, and if you don't like Win10, you can always just put the old hard drive back in and go on like nothing ever happened.

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

Good to know it still works, at least until some update push disables something needed by our 14 year old apps. I'll stick with controllable updates for now and see how the gaming community takes to it.

I'd be more interested to see how it works with win10 on newer machines. I believe a lot of those having glitches/crashes are actually due to display driver issues rather than windows itself

Quote Originally Posted by joe_star View Post
    I'd be more interested to see how it works with win10 on newer machines. I believe a lot of those having glitches/crashes are actually due to display driver issues rather than windows itself
    I have an Origin Chronos corei5 computer with an overclocked Nvidea card and an overclocked motherboard. It'll be 2 years old this Halloween. It has Win7 on it. I bought it for one reason only: to run MSTS with all the sliders maxed out on even the most demanding routes. So I think it qualifies for your concern.

Against my better judgment I went ahead and downloaded Win10 and installed same yesterday. Much to my surprise, it went off without a hitch. Every app I had installed worked, including MSTS and OR. MS really outdid themselves this time; not only is the new OS well worth it (I'll explain why in a sec) but the install was completely painless.

Now, why should you follow suit? Win10 is noticeably faster than Win7. Let me repeat that for the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" types: Win10 is NOTICEABLY faster than Win7 (much less XP). I've read that's because MS made the kernel much smaller. Whatever they did I've noticed faster framerates in MSTS (not so much in OR) and just a generally snappier, smoother experience. The new Edge browser blows Chrome out of the water in terms of speed; no comparison. On the downside it doesn't support extensions, so using LastPass is a no-go right now. The graphics of Win10 are similar to Win8: everything is flat and 2 dimensional; even Win3.1 looked more 3d than Win10. And the graphics to me look like a 5 year old designed them; apps are giant windows of blue or purple with plain white text. Maybe that's the price you pay for the increased speed; I dunno.

But in sum, I'm really glad I took the plunge. And the price was right, too ...

Dave

Hi

My only issue with the upgrade to W10 is that it turned on Auto updates and it took me a day to fix that because of a number of permission issues but MS have issued a fix and future upgrades will not have that issue.

MSTS runs at double the FPS now, I have no idea why but Feather river which used to run at 12fps now runs 25fps. Fantastic,
    I'm really going to enjoy Wupper and PON now.

Also, I know many here also have RW and on my rig with TSX on (or whatever it is called now) FPS have not gone up but
    stuttering has changed from severe to none.

Cheers

Daniel
    Last edited by daniellouwrens; 07-31-2015 at 08:40 PM.
    Daniel - Sydney (wishing I was in Townsville)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawmut View Post
    I have an Origin Chronos corei5 computer with an overclocked Nvidea card and an overclocked motherboard. It'll be 2 years old this Halloween. It has Win7 on it. I bought it for one reason only: to run MSTS with all the sliders maxed out on even the most demanding routes. So I think it qualifies for your concern.

Against my better judgment I went ahead and downloaded Win10 and installed same yesterday. Much to my surprise, it went off without a hitch. Every app I had installed worked, including MSTS and OR. MS really outdid themselves this time; not only is the new OS well worth it (I'll explain why in a sec) but the install was completely painless.

Now, why should you follow suit? Win10 is noticeably faster than Win7. Let me repeat that for the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" types: Win10 is NOTICEABLY faster than Win7 (much less XP). I've read that's because MS made the kernel much smaller. Whatever they did I've noticed faster framerates in MSTS (not so much in OR) and just a generally snappier, smoother experience. The new Edge browser blows Chrome out of the water in terms of speed; no comparison. On the downside it doesn't support extensions, so using LastPass is a no-go right now. The graphics of Win10 are similar to Win8: everything is flat and 2 dimensional; even Win3.1 looked more 3d than Win10. And the graphics to me look like a 5 year old designed them; apps are giant windows of blue or purple with plain white text. Maybe that's the price you pay for the increased speed; I dunno.

But in sum, I'm really glad I took the plunge. And the price was right, too ...

Dave
    "LastPass" ? Are you referring to the Password manager that got Hacked?
    Charles