Thread: Malware

Default Malware

Hi:
    A word of caution. Be careful of site nycsubway.org, I went on that site and in "subchat" I
    clicked on a picture of Hungarian subway and computer immediately froze up. Webpage said
    Windows Defender and said my computer was being locked because of a Trojan. It gave a
    phone number to call to unlock computer. Instead I shut down machine and used Malwarebytes
    to scan. The website in question was nycsubway.org.

Interesting, I've used that site in the past including from work (where the net nanny is very fussy) without issue. Have you contacted the webmaster to advise him, as it's possible the host has been the victim of a hack attack rather tan something malicious put there by the site owner?
    Vern.

Those pop-ups are often from an ad space on a web site, from a script that's often impossible to halt without killing the browser in Task Manager. It goes like this: the web site sells an ad space to an agency which sells it to a broker who sells it to an affiliate who sells it to a crook. Happens to the best of them, even mainstream web pages like New York Times, Black & Decker, CNN, etc. The ad finally gets shut down, but there's usually lots of "We're not responsible" finger pointing down the chain when it occurs. Kill the browser, don't click on any windows, reboot, don't call the crooks' phone number, then do a full malware scan with Malwarebytes or your scanner of choice. Unless you wear a tin foil hat that compels you to run an out-of-date browser version or an old, unsupported operating system, your pc isn't going to get infected by malware from a nuisance pop-up like the OP described.
    Last edited by ftldave; 08-13-2015 at 10:23 AM. Reason: fix txt
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

Quote Originally Posted by ftldave View Post
    Unless you wear a tin foil hat that compels you to run an out-of-date browser version or an old, unsupported operating system,
    Does it really make you feel better to mock people that don't think or do as you?