Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to save Services !! :(

Exclamation Unable to save Services !! :(

Dear Members,

In the service editor, i had set the paths and consist for my service.
    After selecting the stations and clicking on OK, i changed the start time from 12:00 to 00:08 and so on.
    Time-table was also being successfully saved upon setting it manually.
    Thinking that the services would be automatically saved in the "Services" Folder of the route, i started to set 6-8 services altogether.
    Later, i opened the "Services" Folder of the route (not the default one), but to my surprise those services which i saved were not present there !!

P.S. I had been naming services according to the train numbers ,for ex. 12642,12389,etc. ( here in India we have 5-digit train numbering system )

So, was it due to the fact that i had been naming services as Numbers and not Names, it was not saved ?

Please guide me on this !!

Your expert guidance is required.

Thanks in advance !!
    PC Specs :- Intel Core2Duo [email protected] GHz, Nvidia Geforce GT 710 1GB, Samsung 4GB DDR2 RAM, Seagate 500GB HDD..
    Rail Fan & MSTS Fan.

Nothing is saved until you actually do the save, At that point the activity, paths, services, consists you may have made and anything else related gets saved to the respective folders. Now, what you have not stated is what operating system you have and where is MSTS installed.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Quote Originally Posted by baldwin View Post
    Nothing is saved until you actually do the save, At that point the activity, paths, services, consists you may have made and anything else related gets saved to the respective folders. Now, what you have not stated is what operating system you have and where is MSTS installed.

Sir,

I have Windows 7 Ultimate Installed in my PC and my MSTS is installed in E: Drive.
    PC Specs :- Intel Core2Duo [email protected] GHz, Nvidia Geforce GT 710 1GB, Samsung 4GB DDR2 RAM, Seagate 500GB HDD..
    Rail Fan & MSTS Fan.

Does the activity itself appear in the activities folder?

Quote Originally Posted by baldwin View Post
    Does the activity itself appear in the activities folder?
    Sir, not the activity but the .srv file appears in the Activities Folder !!

( i am confused that may be the service file gets saved only when we provide the activity details !! ) But ,How will the services
    be made ? i have to make about 150 services !! )

What i did in the AE :-

On trying to save a service through the option "Save As" , the activity folder pops up prompting it to save as ".act" file.

Although,i renamed one of my service (while saving) from "abc.srv.act" to "abc.srv".

As a result (when i look into the folder) , File is saved as "abc.srv.act" in the Activities Folder & as "abc.srv" in the Services Folder.

Later, i deleted "abc.srv.act" and the "abc.srv" was still there in the Services Folder ( assuming it was saved successfully!! )

This is exactly what i have done and what i'm experiencing.
    Last edited by Ashraf Ahmed Khan; 08-21-2015 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Missed some points !!
    Rail Fan & MSTS Fan.

Hi Ashraf,
    As far as I'm aware, you can't save the separate elements of an activity individually. You create the activity in AE and save it; the .act, .pat, .srv, .trf and .con files are then saved. The only files you CAN save separately are Consists.

Cheers,
    Ged

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi Ashraf,
    As far as I'm aware, you can't save the separate elements of an activity individually. You create the activity in AE and save it; the .act, .pat, .srv, .trf and .con files are then saved. The only files you CAN save separately are Consists.

Cheers,
    Ged
    Thanks !! Sir !! for your reply

If that's the case, then how i would be able to make about 150 services ?

Because as far as i know, i read here on TS that :-

[ "
    AI traffic spawns are notoriously cranky,especially if you spawn them to cover long distances.To get a reasonably precise meet,try starting the AI Path as close as possible,however MAKE SURE that the path starts at least 3 to 4 signal blocks away from the siding that you wish to make the meet.Another thing is to set up a trial run by "verifying starting time" and running the Players train with a prototype AI to see when the AI passes your meeting places.You can adjust the AI starting time accordingly.Sorry if some of this is sketchy.Have to go to work and hustle some cars.Brian
    I will try to fill in what I left out.For 8 to 10 or 1000 AI trains for that matter,it is important to set up a "Service" for each one.That "Service" can utilize any "Path" that you wish to establish. To try to get as on-time a meet as possible at the place you choose,adhere to the above instructions.Overtaking is more complex.There are a few ways to do it.The best one{in my opinion} is to establish a double waiting point right behind the leaving signal on the siding that the "Players" train is located. I wish to point out to you the numerous and excellent tutorials that are available,not only on this site,but on the almost indispensable Steam4Me site.Brianhttp://msts steam4me.net/tutorials

" ]

So, for each AI , i will have to create service for each and every one of them ?
    Am i right ?
    Rail Fan & MSTS Fan.

Yes, each AI has its own srv file, but can share common path. The service creation is one part of making an activity.

All parts of an activity interlock. First you create an activity complete with a name. Then you make the player path, consist and service. After that each additional AI you want to add must have a path and a consist. The consist can be the same for each service if the train itself is the same. When saving each time the srv file for that item is made. The entire set of services becomes a traffic pattern which is saved as a trf file.

The srv file actually defines which consist is used, the path, any station stops and other information if added while making it.

Hi Ashraf,
    Without a service and a path, an AI is only a consist! You can make as many consists as you like using AE, ConBuilder, Route-Riter or Convoi, if that's all you want to do. To link those consists to a specific journey and time, you must create suitable paths and services using Activity Editor. You CAN, of course, use a "dummy" activity (one which will be discarded) to build your paths and services, but you would still need to incorporate them into a "proper" activity to be able to use them. I stand to be corrected, but that's the only way I know

Cheers,
    Ged

EDIT : Thanks Baldwin - I've left my post as I wrote it because I'm not sure what Ashraf is hoping to do!!
    Last edited by slipperman; 08-21-2015 at 11:38 AM.

Thanks a lot !! Sir !!
    Rail Fan & MSTS Fan.