Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Narrow gauge railways in Kirov region, Russia

July 2014, narrow gauge in urban-type settlement Oktyabrskiy, a few kilometers south of the Bezbozhnik.

Broad-gauge branch of sawnmill:

Start of unloading ways of narrow gauge, forest cars:

I went on the narrow-gauge railway:

This frog forwards trains from forest to unloading ways on the sawnmill or to main station of railway:

Bonus - pond with domestic geese:

Main station:

Bonus - playground in one of courtyards, crawler tractor among children's attractions:

Interesting to see a five story building just "pop up" out of the grasses, in the middle of nowhere. ( I don't mean "middle of nowhere" in an offensive manner)
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Often in the 80s in villages build (usually in Moscow region) one three- or five-story building, there came many residents from his wooden houses, because there were plumbing, sewerage and centralized heating, but residents continued to cultivate their kaleyards, but now it is rare, many people moved back to wooden houses, usually because of problems with heating.

But in Oktyabrskiy other case - in soviet period in Oktyabrskiy was regiment with anti-aircraft missiles С-200 (NATO classification SA-5 "Gammon"), this houses were build primarily for officers and professional NCO. Many residents of Oktyabrskiy lives in wooden houses, but five-story buildings also inhabited.

Station, first photo - inside in snowplough:

Near locomotive depot, then i went from narrow-gauge railway:

Bonus - WWII memorial:

And very funny advertising, from 50 meters shop "Paradise" - wine, vodka, food and instruments :-)

August 2014, Karin's narrow gauge railway - started in Kirovo-Chepetsk (second city by population in Kirov region), on this railway exported peat to Kirovo-Chepetsk's power plant. It was one of the best narrow-gauge railways in Russia - signalization, centralized frogs, automatic coulpings (many russian narrow-gauge railways use chain coulping), and traffic sometimes has been more intense than some broad-gauge lines! But few years ago Kirovo-Chepetsk's power plant was used the fuel gas instead peat, freight transportation was ended, started disassembly of railway. But settlement Karintorf (there is locomotive depot and lives many workers of railway) was divided with Kirovo-Chepetsk by river Karinka, by car can not drive there, but there can be reached via this railway, so passenger trains still run.

Entrance into Kirovo-Chepetsk:

City:

I reached the railroad, fairly large portion goes right through the city, residents often use it as a public transport:

Arrival of passenger train with loco TU7A (400 horsepower), I got into this train:

To be continued...

This train rides to center of Kirovo-Chepetsk:

Now we rides to Karintorf:

Bridge over river Karinka:

My train arrived to Karintorf:

Beautiful!
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Karintorf, station "Техническая" (Technical):

Karintorf - rather unusual settlement, there are so many trees, a little unusual architecture - once there was a prison for captive Wermacht soliders, there are some German influence to architecture.

Food shop:

Behind the houses are garages:

Domestic birds:

WWII memorial:

Public bath:

Apartment house:

I went back to the railroad:

Peat cars: